The Student Room Group

what's the gluconeogenesis??

Hello everybody, anyone plz can tell me what's the gluconeogenesis ?, why we need it?, how to control it? .. or suggest me some web pages through which I can get these details ???? Thank you
Reply 1
http://www.wiley.com/college/boyer/0470003790/animations/gluconeogenesis/gluconeogenesis.htm

Basically this is how glucose is made from other products (such as pyruvate). It is a method of maintain blood glucose concentration. Levels drop too low and a-cells in the Islets of Langerhans detects this and cause substances to be converted into glucose :smile:
Reply 2
It is another way of forming glucose in our body. Usually glucose is obtained from the break down of complex sugars such as starch and glycogen (hence we speak of glycogenolysis).

This occurs during hypoglycemia, i.e. low blood sugar level. Glucagon released from the pancreas stimulates the release of glucose into blood (opposite action of insulin).

If there is no enough glycogen in the body, or it has been used, then the body synthesizes glucose from certain amino acids; this process is called gluconeogenesis, formation of glucose from a new unusual source.

Remember that the body can also use fat as a source of energy, except for neurons which can only use glucose. Therefore you get dizziness in case of hypoglycemia.
Reply 3
Synthesis of glucose from other molecules, such as amino acids.

It is needed when glycogen reserves are depleted, and to prevent their depletion.

Regulation is important to avoid hyperglycaemia, which leads to glucose insensitivity (diabetes mellitus, and so on).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending