The Student Room Group
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website

Applying for NCH - 2014 Admissions and Interviews

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else is applying to NCH this year. I'm applying for Politics and International Relations (with Philosophy and Economics as contextual courses).

I've been invited for an interview - I have absolutely no idea what to expect!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jaylt5
Hey,

Just wondering if anyone else is applying to NCH this year. I'm applying for Politics and International Relations (with Philosophy and Economics as contextual courses).

I've been invited for an interview - I have absolutely no idea what to expect!

Me too! I am applying for Law with Economics as contextual subject. Totally overwhelmed, did your email say which academic will be interviewing you? Mine just says "Dr {academic name}".
New College of the Humanities
Northeastern University London
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by ZombifiedPuppy
Me too! I am applying for Law with Economics as contextual subject. Totally overwhelmed, did your email say which academic will be interviewing you? Mine just says "Dr {academic name}".

Haha mine just says the same too :/
Hey,

I'm currently a second year at NCH and I just wanted to say don't worry too much about the interviews! The people on the panel are usually lecturers you are likely to have and they are just as interested in your engagement and ability to develop and defend a point of view as they are in what you already know! I applied for PPE and was given a short extract from Nietzsche pre-interview but it's more to structure discussion than to get you to regurgitate facts. The discussion can end up just about anywhere depending upon what you want to show them or what they are looking to hear.
In short; don't panic and good luck!
Reply 4

Hey, I'm a first year Law student so I can fill you in a bit about the law interview, surprise, surprise. Everything that tedarbyshire said holds true, though luckily there should be no Nietzsche in sight. Most likely your interview will be with Dr. Amodu (Law convener) though as was previously mentioned it could potentially be any of the Law lecturers. The interview takes more of the form of a discussion than an interrogation, the lecturers are merely trying to discover whether you are a student that they would wish to teach. At most they may lead you towards a specific point, but that may simply be their own view on the point, so they are more than willing to listen to any opposition to it that you may raise.
Just remember to keep calm and not get too worried!

Best of luck to the both of you in applying :smile:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by CalebLK
Hey, I'm a first year Law student so I can fill you in a bit about the law interview, surprise, surprise. Everything that tedarbyshire said holds true, though luckily there should be no Nietzsche in sight. Most likely your interview will be with Dr. Amodu (Law convener) though as was previously mentioned it could potentially be any of the Law lecturers. The interview takes more of the form of a discussion than an interrogation, the lecturers are merely trying to discover whether you are a student that they would wish to teach. At most they may lead you towards a specific point, but that may simply be there own view on the point, so they are more than willing to listen to any opposition to it that you may raise.
Just remember to keep calm and not get too worried!

Best of luck to the both of you in applying :smile:

Thanks so much for your reply! Gave me lots of relief now that I know something about the interview! :smile: may I ask what prompted you to choose NCH over other universities?
Reply 6
I had my interview at NCH, and I absolutely loved it there! I would be so happy if I was accepted! The interview was actually more like a conversation, and Ms Boshilova really put me at ease. My text was about North Korea and although I had very limited knowledge about it, I really didn't any other than the ability to understand the text, and raise questions and thoughts from it. It was just a brilliant day!
Reply 7
Thanks so much for your reply! Gave me lots of relief now that I know something about the interview! :smile: may I ask what prompted you to choose NCH over other universities?

Well, since I'm American I was attracted by the broader liberal arts style education without all of the crazyness. Also the fact that it was a smaller Uni alongside the location made it really appealing to me. Finally they possessed a very strong faculty, which guaranteed a strong program.

Feel free to ask more questions :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by jaylt5
I had my interview at NCH, and I absolutely loved it there! I would be so happy if I was accepted! The interview was actually more like a conversation, and Ms Boshilova really put me at ease. My text was about North Korea and although I had very limited knowledge about it, I really didn't any other than the ability to understand the text, and raise questions and thoughts from it. It was just a brilliant day!

Glad to hear that your interview went really well, and I hope to see you here next year!

Let me know if there are any other questions scholarly or otherwise that you need answered, for I am happy to help.
Original post by CalebLK
Well, since I'm American I was attracted by the broader liberal arts style education without all of the crazyness. Also the fact that it was a smaller Uni alongside the location made it really appealing to me. Finally they possessed a very strong faculty, which guaranteed a strong program.

Feel free to ask more questions :smile:

I have a feeling that I might have seen you when I was in to do my interview :O do you happen to be around last Wednesday at around 2?
Reply 10
I have a feeling that I might have seen you when I was in to do my interview :O do you happen to be around last Wednesday at around 2?

Most likely, I was definitely around at that time and I did speak to a couple applicants briefly. :smile:
Original post by CalebLK
Most likely, I was definitely around at that time and I did speak to a couple applicants briefly. :smile:

Ooh I see! I might see you again next year :smile:
Reply 12
Those of you who went for an interview, could you tell us what the physical structure of the university was like? Did you see the accommodations? :smile:
Reply 13
Hi Gaia I'm a first year philosophy student. Unfortunately you won't get to see the accommodation when looking around the college at interview. At present two student halls are offered - both are near Holloway and are about 4 miles north of the university (near Tottenham Court Road). It takes 15-30 mins to travel by public transport.

Hopefully these links will give you a clearer idea of what the accommodation looks like:

http://www.opalgroup.com/student-accommodation/tufnell-park/?page=1&location=London#

http://www.londonuniversityrooms.co.uk/halls/opal3london.aspx

I'm living at Tufnell Park where there's an en suite bathroom and room enough to swing a small feline. The on-site staff are excellent; only yesterday I was given a brand new desk chair completely free of charge with no questions asked.

As to the university building itself, it is just that - a building. Imagine a pearly white Georgian townhouse with matte blue carpets and golden stair rods. Then pick up the phone and ask to come and see it for yourself in the flesh! It's the only way to get a decent grasp of what the place looks like!

Please feel free to keep asking questions!
Reply 14
Hey there, I actually go to NCH currently (as stated earlier) so I'm more than able to answer your question. From an architectural standpoint No.19 is a Grade I listed Georgian building (If you're into that thing). Otherwise it's a four storey building (alongside a lower ground floor) which houses all of the classes which you would undertake at the college. Each subject has their own specific teaching room alongside various general purpose teaching rooms. The JCR which is used for student functions such as bar nights is also located within.
When you go for your interview you won't see the accommodation, though you are more than welcome to go view it on your own. When I was looking last year, I merely decided to visit Opal 4 as I was in London at the time anyway and the staff were more than accommodating.

Hope this helps with your queries and if you want to know anything more specific feel free to ask.
Reply 15
Original post by Milesm
Hi Gaia I'm a first year philosophy student. Unfortunately you won't get to see the accommodation when looking around the college at interview. At present two student halls are offered - both are near Holloway and are about 4 miles north of the university (near Tottenham Court Road). It takes 15-30 mins to travel by public transport.

Hopefully these links will give you a clearer idea of what the accommodation looks like:

http://www.opalgroup.com/student-accommodation/tufnell-park/?page=1&location=London#

http://www.londonuniversityrooms.co.uk/halls/opal3london.aspx

I'm living at Tufnell Park where there's an en suite bathroom and room enough to swing a small feline. The on-site staff are excellent; only yesterday I was given a brand new desk chair completely free of charge with no questions asked.

As to the university building itself, it is just that - a building. Imagine a pearly white Georgian townhouse with matte blue carpets and golden stair rods. Then pick up the phone and ask to come and see it for yourself in the flesh! It's the only way to get a decent grasp of what the place looks like!

Please feel free to keep asking questions!

Thanks! This was really helpful! I will definitely have to come see the place during my interview.

I just wanted to know whether you're happy with the location of the accommodations? I heard they're pretty expensive and I don't really know the area of North London very well but is it worth the cost?
Reply 16
Original post by CalebLK
Hey there, I actually go to NCH currently (as stated earlier) so I'm more than able to answer your question. From an architectural standpoint No.19 is a Grade I listed Georgian building (If you're into that thing). Otherwise it's a four storey building (alongside a lower ground floor) which houses all of the classes which you would undertake at the college. Each subject has their own specific teaching room alongside various general purpose teaching rooms. The JCR which is used for student functions such as bar nights is also located within.
When you go for your interview you won't see the accommodation, though you are more than welcome to go view it on your own. When I was looking last year, I merely decided to visit Opal 4 as I was in London at the time anyway and the staff were more than accommodating.

Hope this helps with your queries and if you want to know anything more specific feel free to ask.

Thanks, this was really helpful! The facilities sound great.
Are you liking living in the university halls? I heard they're pretty expensive! Also, how many people do you share your floor with?

Sorry for so many questions! I'm really anxious about living in london, and I think it will dictate my decision on whther to attend NCH or not.
Reply 17
Original post by Gaia96
Thanks, this was really helpful! The facilities sound great.
Are you liking living in the university halls? I heard they're pretty expensive! Also, how many people do you share your floor with?

Sorry for so many questions! I'm really anxious about living in london, and I think it will dictate my decision on whther to attend NCH or not.

I am currently living in Opal 4, and enjoying what it offers. Housing in London definitely isn't cheap, but there's a range of prices for different rooms and there are discounts offered based on early booking and how you pay etc. At least in Opal 4 the rooms are structured so theres 5 rooms in an apartment complex, with you each having an individual room and bathroom, while you share a communal living area/kitchen.

Please feel free to ask as many as you want!
Reply 18
Original post by Gaia96
Thanks! This was really helpful! I will definitely have to come see the place during my interview.

I just wanted to know whether you're happy with the location of the accommodations? I heard they're pretty expensive and I don't really know the area of North London very well but is it worth the cost?

London's going to be expensive no matter what!

It was my lack of affluence that initially steered me away from studying in the city, but once I bit that bullet and realised that ANY university is an expensive investment, London seemed well-worth going the extra economic mile.

The location is difficult to beat, honestly. I'm living with 4 other non-NCH students in a 5-man flat in Tufnell Park (Opal 4). In terms of size there's space in my room for about 7 or 8 people to lie face down on the floor. Now, that's a pretty odd unit of measurement, so let me try again. It's 11.5 metres long and 3 metres wide, but this is including space taken up by the bed and wardrobe etc. so the space to physically manoeuvre is a bit smaller than that. Here's my second shot: at least 4 people could do star jumps in my room without colliding into one another. How's that for painting a picture? ;]

I have a number of friends at LSE and UCL - not only do the rooms at Tufnell Park have an ensuite but the space in the bedroom itself is larger too. For ~£190 pcw I'm yet to lay my eyes on student accommodation that's better value for money.
Reply 19
Thanks guys! this has definitely given me a better picture! NCH definitely sounds like a valid option...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending