The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial College London Computing Admissions Test

I'm scheduled to take the computing admissions test a few days from now, does anyone have any information on what is on the test? For reference, I am from the US, so I'm not sure what the standard syllabus would cover. Also, what subjects does the test cover?
Reply 1
Original post by AhmedK86
I'm scheduled to take the computing admissions test a few days from now, does anyone have any information on what is on the test? For reference, I am from the US, so I'm not sure what the standard syllabus would cover. Also, what subjects does the test cover?

There is absolutely no syllabus. It's just a problem solving test that tests your logical skills. You should be able to do this no problem whatsoever. I am a home applicant but I didn't even know that there was a test until I got the email saying that I will be sitting the admissions test in three days (this was three weeks after I applied and I applied in September). I did absolutely no work for the admissions test and I didn't rely on any skills that I learnt from my current A level education to answer the questions (though this very much varies because different groups have different tests).

It more tests your approach to solving problems but these problems are a doddle so it should be no problem. However, one thing I would say is that the 45 minutes you have goes by in a flash. It's not the only admissions test I have sat but I can categorically say that it was the one test where I felt time went by in a flash so make sure you keep a track of time.

Edit: I would say that if you have a decent personal statement, a really good score will get you an interview. I don't think that my personal statement was any good in comparison to some of the others you read online and some of the achievements that people have attained along the way, but I felt the admissions test was easy. You need to be good in both areas to secure an interview (which I received a month after my test) and I received my offer 19 days after my interview, which took place on the 29th of November.
(edited 2 months ago)
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by vnayak
There is absolutely no syllabus. It's just a problem solving test that tests your logical skills. You should be able to do this no problem whatsoever. I am a home applicant but I didn't even know that there was a test until I got the email saying that I will be sitting the admissions test in three days (this was three weeks after I applied and I applied in September). I did absolutely no work for the admissions test and I didn't rely on any skills that I learnt from my current A level education to answer the questions (though this very much varies because different groups have different tests).

It more tests your approach to solving problems but these problems are a doddle so it should be no problem. However, one thing I would say is that the 45 minutes you have goes by in a flash. It's not the only admissions test I have sat but I can categorically say that it was the one test where I felt time went by in a flash so make sure you keep a track of time.

Edit: I would say that if you have a decent personal statement, a really good score will get you an interview. I don't think that my personal statement was any good in comparison to some of the others you read online and some of the achievements that people have attained along the way, but I felt the admissions test was easy. You need to be good in both areas to secure an interview (which I received a month after my test) and I received my offer 19 days after my interview, which took place on the 29th of November.

how many do you think you got correct out of the 10 in the admissions test? I thought it was much more difficult than expected and was only really confident with 7/10 of the questions. My personal statement was decent, but probably average in terms of Imperial applicants but I still haven't got any decision on the interview. I've also been reading around and people have been saying that if I haven't received an interview by now, my application is weaker than the rest which is slightly concerning.
Reply 3
Original post by u3mqarty
how many do you think you got correct out of the 10 in the admissions test? I thought it was much more difficult than expected and was only really confident with 7/10 of the questions. My personal statement was decent, but probably average in terms of Imperial applicants but I still haven't got any decision on the interview. I've also been reading around and people have been saying that if I haven't received an interview by now, my application is weaker than the rest which is slightly concerning.

Same, I was confident on 7/8 of the 10 questions, I’m hoping this is an ok score to get. I’m confident on my ps, so hopefully I’ll hear back. Hopefully u do too!
Reply 4

I thought the test was really really easy and it made me question whether I was doing the practice test or the actual thing. However, it was tight for time so at the very least, I think I got 8/10. I don't think my personal statement had anything special but at interview, they were interested in many of the different aspects of my personal statement. What's crazy is I didn't mention my UKMT Kangaroo certificates or Olympiad qualifications but I still got (I suspect my teachers may have mentioned it in my reference but who knows?)

When did you apply? It's very dependent on that. If you applied last year, I would say chances are slim. You are yet to be rejected which is a sign to say you have a decent application (they have been handing out rejections to a few people) but not quite good enough to give you an interview straight away. Your application has been put on hold, I reckon. Anyway, I don't think this is legit but I saw on a TSR forum that the last possible date for interviews is 16th Feb, Now, I can't remember where I saw this but it was fairly recently. I don't know about the reliability of said person either so I wish you the best of luck.

What I will say is though you need to stop stressing. I understand that it's hard (this was exactly what I was like for Cambridge before I got rejected pre-interview) but if you get rejected, the rejection will hit hard. Also, let's say you get an interview. Don't do too much work for it - you've done the hard bit of securing it. Make sure you familiarise yourself with your personal statement in terms of stuff you've mentioned, but don't sweat it.

Test your Maths and your problem solving skills a bit too but again, not too over the top with it. I would say that three days before the interview, stop doing all work and focus solely on school work.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are your GCSE grades and A level predictions?
Reply 5
Same, I was confident on 7/8 of the 10 questions, I’m hoping this is an ok score to get. I’m confident on my ps, so hopefully I’ll hear back. Hopefully u do too!

it deffo is a good score and puts you in contention for interview. However, they also look at your personal statement to gauge whether you would be a good fit for the course.

My personal statement had two main focusses:

1) Problem solving

2) Completing projects ranging from my own simple games all the way to some industry standard projects I have completed.
Reply 6
Original post by vnayak
I thought the test was really really easy and it made me question whether I was doing the practice test or the actual thing. However, it was tight for time so at the very least, I think I got 8/10. I don't think my personal statement had anything special but at interview, they were interested in many of the different aspects of my personal statement. What's crazy is I didn't mention my UKMT Kangaroo certificates or Olympiad qualifications but I still got (I suspect my teachers may have mentioned it in my reference but who knows?)

When did you apply? It's very dependent on that. If you applied last year, I would say chances are slim. You are yet to be rejected which is a sign to say you have a decent application (they have been handing out rejections to a few people) but not quite good enough to give you an interview straight away. Your application has been put on hold, I reckon. Anyway, I don't think this is legit but I saw on a TSR forum that the last possible date for interviews is 16th Feb, Now, I can't remember where I saw this but it was fairly recently. I don't know about the reliability of said person either so I wish you the best of luck.

What I will say is though you need to stop stressing. I understand that it's hard (this was exactly what I was like for Cambridge before I got rejected pre-interview) but if you get rejected, the rejection will hit hard. Also, let's say you get an interview. Don't do too much work for it - you've done the hard bit of securing it. Make sure you familiarise yourself with your personal statement in terms of stuff you've mentioned, but don't sweat it.

Test your Maths and your problem solving skills a bit too but again, not too over the top with it. I would say that three days before the interview, stop doing all work and focus solely on school work.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are your GCSE grades and A level predictions?

Hi, thanks for the advice! It's hard not to stress because I really do want to go Imperial but i guess you are right. As per your questions, I applied this year and my A-level predicted grades are 4A*s (maths, fm, comp sci and physics) and my GCSEs were 99999999987.
Reply 7
Hi, thanks for the advice! It's hard not to stress because I really do want to go Imperial but i guess you are right. As per your questions, I applied this year and my A-level predicted grades are 4A*s (maths, fm, comp sci and physics) and my GCSEs were 99999999987.

Yeah so it's deffo a question of how well you did in your admissions test and how good your personal statement actually is. Your grades are better than mine so it's not a problem there.
Reply 8
Original post by vnayak
Yeah so it's deffo a question of how well you did in your admissions test and how good your personal statement actually is. Your grades are better than mine so it's not a problem there.

damnnn thats a bummer - i was pretty happy with my ps and thought the admissions test was decent but ig imperial just thinks i suck. it is what it is.
Reply 9
damnnn thats a bummer - i was pretty happy with my ps and thought the admissions test was decent but ig imperial just thinks i suck. it is what it is.

Did you get offered an interview yet? Idk how long I should wait. I know they hold interview through February, but it’s been almost a week since the admissions test and I haven’t got any response.
Reply 10
Did you get offered an interview yet? Idk how long I should wait. I know they hold interview through February, but it’s been almost a week since the admissions test and I haven’t got any response.

Bro chill.....I had to wait one month to hear back for interview. Ik you don't have that time but they are holding interviews up to the end of February (and maybe even longer because on their interview pages, it only says "we USUALLY hold interviews between November and February", which means that this period could extend given the size of the applicant pool).
Reply 11

I don't want to say anything that might impact your thoughts but even getting full marks on that test is no guarantee of an interview so you never know. Keep some hope but don't let it overwhelm you because if you get rejected, it will destroy you and you will lose the motivation to do anything.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending