The Student Room Group

Independence for Mercia! (The Midlands)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
I think the Scottish Referenda debate has created exciting times for UK politics. Devolution in the regions is going to be inevitable and as a proud Midlander, I would be happy to see local powers returned as well as to the rest of the English regions.
Original post by WNB
I think the Scottish Referenda debate has created exciting times for UK politics. Devolution in the regions is going to be inevitable and as a proud Midlander, I would be happy to see local powers returned as well as to the rest of the English regions.

On the back end of an unpopular Tory government, I don't think there will ever be a more promising time for Scottish independence.

If it doesn't happen on Thursday, I'm inclined to say it'll never happen.
Original post by Kenelm
Shakespeare and Tolkien might disagree.

Shakespeare lived 400 years ago. The Midlands wasn't a **** hole then.
Original post by DErasmus
Shakespeare lived 400 years ago. The Midlands wasn't a **** hole then.

Stratford is a lovely place still. Warwickshire in general is absolutely gorgeous.
Original post by Mackay
Stratford is a lovely place still. Warwickshire in general is absolutely gorgeous.

That's probably what he meant when he said Midlands the rest is garbage.

Daventry is up there with the worst places I've ever visited.
Reply 106

I'd rather dispute the rest of the Midlands being garbage. Worcester is a town of historic beauty in its own right, as well as Iron Bridge Gorge, and Cannock Chase an area of outstanding beauty. Not forgetting other principle towns such as Lichfield, Tamworth and Shrewsbury. I take it the Midlands have some of the most concrete ridden cities (Coventry in particular) but most of the Midlands is quite green even Birmingham itself is home to Sutton park which is the largest in Europe.

I would rather you look into these places before making this assumption of the region.
Reply 107
Original post by Mackay
On the back end of an unpopular Tory government, I don't think there will ever be a more promising time for Scottish independence.

Either way, it has defiantly sparked the issue of devolution. Which no doubt Scotland will get more of if they were to vote no and in the regions as well.
Original post by WNB
I'd rather dispute the rest of the Midlands being garbage. Worcester is a town of historic beauty in its own right, as well as Iron Bridge Gorge, and Cannock Chase an area of outstanding beauty. Not forgetting other principle towns such as Lichfield, Tamworth and Shrewsbury. I take it the Midlands have some of the most concrete ridden cities (Coventry in particular) but most of the Midlands is quite green even Birmingham itself is home to Sutton park which is the largest in Europe.

I would rather you look into these places before making this assumption of the region.

I have lived in Worcester my entire life. I think i'm qualified to judge. Birmingham is the most god damn awful hell on earth city i've ever been to.
I find this trend of demanding independence for more and more, smaller and smaller territories quite hilarious.

If everyone sitting in a relatively wealthy place looking around and realising that the region around is a bit poorer and some of his tax money is going there, suddenly demands independence, then what's next? Independent Orkneys? All the oil and tourism can certainly sustain the few people living there! How about independent New York? Biggest financial centre on the planet, could be a city state like Singapore. How about independence for every town that happens to sit on some natural resources? Too bad for those unlucky enough to live somewhere without a strong economy or natural resources.

If every region in Europe that believes it would be better of on its own tries to break away, we might as well build a time machine and go back in time to the era of city states and local rivalries. There is a reason regions formed federations and eventually nation states (like 19th century Germany). It gave rise to efficient administration, reduced rivalries, furthered cooperation.

Independent Mercia, what a bunch of bullsh ...
Reply 110
Original post by Mackay

If it doesn't happen on Thursday, then it will certainly happen next time. The whole political direction of the UK is for greater autonomy and ultimately sovereignty of its various parts.
Reply 111
I have lived in Worcester my entire life. I think i'm qualified to judge. Birmingham is the most god damn awful hell on earth city i've ever been to.

I take it you've never lived there then, and probably don't even know it very well.

Birmingham has more trees than any other city in Europe, because it was built right on top of the Forest of Arden.
Original post by Kenelm
I take it you've never lived there then, and probably don't even know it very well.

Birmingham has more trees than any other city in Europe, because it was built right on top of the Forest of Arden.

It's ugly, nuff said.
Reply 113
It's ugly, nuff said.

Some parts of it are, and others aren't, which is true of any city. Are you familiar with the Victorian suburb of Moseley, for example?
Original post by Kenelm
If it doesn't happen on Thursday, then it will certainly happen next time. The whole political direction of the UK is for greater autonomy and ultimately sovereignty of its various parts.

I'm unsure - I can't see much changing from here until a future referendum for the 'No' vote to swing to 'Yes'.

It's now or never. I'm sure of it.
Original post by Mackay
I'm unsure - I can't see much changing from here until a future referendum for the 'No' vote to swing to 'Yes'.

It's now or never. I'm sure of it.

There may be a future referendum but I think Westminster can learn from its mistakes. Focus more on devolution than uncertainty for example.

I can't see the next vote being a 'Yes'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending