The Student Room Group

PCSO [police]

I was looking at joining the police but would prefer PCSO as its more of a community engagement role where you get to go out and talk to people which i would prefer then maybe look at moving up to a PC later on possibly but has anyone here applied or currently a PCSO?

Do PCSO have to complete blue light training?

How many stages is there for PCSO?

Do you need a degree as i know you do for police now?

They say there isn't a height requirement but are they less likely to accept you if you're 5'6?

Odd one but whats the guides on acne within the police, i'm looking at getting it gone before hand but was just wondering lol.

Are you always walking/cycling or do you drive too?

What are the RP questions/roleplay like?

And overall would people recommend it? my family say its a dangerous job for PCs even with tasers and batons and PCSO get none of that but at the same time PCSO isn't really given the same tasks as police, i have always liked helping people and find the idea of being in uniform and being apart of the police is something i want to do and have always wanted to do but have never built up the courage to apply as its not really like applying for a normal job.

I did ask my local force via email but it seems with everything going on its expected the replies are super slow.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Nick6501
I was looking at joining the police but would prefer PCSO as its more of a community engagement role where you get to go out and talk to people which i would prefer then maybe look at moving up to a PC later on possibly but has anyone here applied or currently a PCSO?

Do PCSO have to complete blue light training?

How many stages is there for PCSO?

Do you need a degree as i know you do for police now?

They say there isn't a height requirement but are they less likely to accept you if you're 5'6?

Odd one but whats the guides on acne within the police, i'm looking at getting it gone before hand but was just wondering lol.

Are you always walking/cycling or do you drive too?

What are the RP questions/roleplay like?

And overall would people recommend it? my family say its a dangerous job for PCs even with tasers and batons and PCSO get none of that but at the same time PCSO isn't really given the same tasks as police, i have always liked helping people and find the idea of being in uniform and being apart of the police is something i want to do and have always wanted to do but have never built up the courage to apply as its not really like applying for a normal job.

I did ask my local force via email but it seems with everything going on its expected the replies are super slow.

I work in recruitment for my local police force.

PCSOs are very much similar to Police Officers (PC) as you say. However you won't share all of the same powers as them which includes Blue Light training.
Eligibility criteria is different in some forces, however generally you must be able to speak and write fluent and clear English.
They don't generally judge you on your facial appearance, however this also depends if you have any tattoos (although you must not have any on your face, hands, neck and above the collar bone). There is generally no height requirement. You're not applying to be a Cabin Crew here.
As I have said, each force's recruitment may be different - so please refer to their careers website for more information regarding their eligibility requirements.
Police Now entry are only for graduates who can fast track to become a Police Officers - not PCSOs and they are more widely different in general. However the recruitment process is very much the same.

Due to the current situation we are in with COVID-19, most of the teams may be working from home such as myself which is why communication is really slow as most teams are finding ways to adapt quickly to the situation.
Reply 2
Original post by MonsoonFlower
I work in recruitment for my local police force.

PCSOs are very much similar to Police Officers (PC) as you say. However you won't share all of the same powers as them which includes Blue Light training.
Eligibility criteria is different in some forces, however generally you must be able to speak and write fluent and clear English.
They don't generally judge you on your facial appearance, however this also depends if you have any tattoos (although you must not have any on your face, hands, neck and above the collar bone). There is generally no height requirement. You're not applying to be a Cabin Crew here.
As I have said, each force's recruitment may be different - so please refer to their careers website for more information regarding their eligibility requirements.
Police Now entry are only for graduates who can fast track to become a Police Officers - not PCSOs and they are more widely different in general. However the recruitment process is very much the same.

Due to the current situation we are in with COVID-19, most of the teams may be working from home such as myself which is why communication is really slow as most teams are finding ways to adapt quickly to the situation.

Thanks for the response :smile: just to confirm, PCSO don't need any formal qualifications especially degrees etc? just wanting to make sure.
Original post by Nick6501
Thanks for the response :smile: just to confirm, PCSO don't need any formal qualifications especially degrees etc? just wanting to make sure.

Generally no as they are more interested in your personality and overall character.
As I've explained, each forces set their own entry requirements - so it's best to look on their careers website.
The recruitment process is essentially the same for all uniformed roles also regardless whether you have previously been a PC/PCSO/SC or one who is looking to rejoin.
Reply 4
I got a conditional offer last June and was put on the waiting list for West Mercia. The communication has been few and far between. Getting to the end of the year now I am starting to become a little concerned that this offer will never materialise into a formal offer. Anyone in the same situation? I am currently a probation officer and former prison officer so I can't imagine security checks taking too long.
Hi. My day 1 assessment coming soon. Can some one give me more information about writing test and interview questions...please
Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending