The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
ruthie_x
Hello!! I am going to Nottingham Uni in September and have received my accommodation slip-thingy today. I intend to apply online tomorrow but need some advice (preferably from someone already at Notts) about which accommodation is the best for first year students. Any information anyone could provide will be brill! Thanks x

What subject? i may not be much of a help, coz i am going there in september, for medicine!
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
nodabooper
What subject? i may not be much of a help, coz i am going there in september, for medicine!

Im going for law with german! You applying for halls? or SC
Reply 3
Hmm, I'm either going to go for a single study or a shared study. Single study is probably better, but shared study is cheaper. Anybody have any experience of either or could offer suggestions?
ruthie_x
Hello!! I am going to Nottingham Uni in September and have received my accommodation slip-thingy today. I intend to apply online tomorrow but need some advice (preferably from someone already at Notts) about which accommodation is the best for first year students. Any information anyone could provide will be brill! Thanks x

ahh people search though the old posts on this, single study is imo the best as its the most sociable option and you are most likely to get a uni campus hall if you chose it, for your backups put jubilee or broadgate, don't put raliegh park for christs sake or you'll be stuck with people like andyreid(jk, the other rp-ers i know are fab :biggrin:)
Reply 5
ruthie_x

Hey, i put own Nottingham as my firm quite a while ago but haven't received that slip. Would that prevent me from applying online?
vavavoom
Hey, i put own Nottingham as my firm quite a while ago but haven't received that slip. Would that prevent me from applying online?

no no, i applied before getting any accom info, all you need is your ucas number..
Reply 7
rah
no no, i applied before getting any accom info, all you need is your ucas number..

I'm right now filling out my form. I'm thinking of getting En Suite, but I really want to be allocated in Hugh Stu.....which only has around 6 en suite....should I go with single study?
Reply 8
vavavoom
I'm right now filling out my form. I'm thinking of getting En Suite, but I really want to be allocated in Hugh Stu.....which only has around 6 en suite....should I go with single study?

yeh single, i want to b allocated to hu stu aswell but u dont get a preference on halls on any part of the form!
Reply 9
ali_117
yeh single, i want to b allocated to hu stu aswell but u dont get a preference on halls on any part of the form!

Oh darn it.....:frown: Darn, my dad says go for en suite coz it's more comfertable....but is it worth it...waaaa....i'm so lost!!
Reply 10
vavavoom
Oh darn it.....:frown: Darn, my dad says go for en suite coz it's more comfertable....but is it worth it...waaaa....i'm so lost!!

single studies not bad tho i hear....it depends whats more important to u i suppose. did u put down 2 self catering halls? i realllllly dont want to be outside of uni park and i realllly want hugh stu!
Reply 11
Got my stuff through the psot today.. so I'll talk to my old dear about it later tonight and sort it out.
Reply 12
ali_117
single studies not bad tho i hear....it depends whats more important to u i suppose. did u put down 2 self catering halls? i realllllly dont want to be outside of uni park and i realllly want hugh stu!

Yea I did put down two self-catering halls!! Following Rah's advice I have not put down Raleigh Park. I put Jubilee Campus as second choice. If I get non-University Park i'll cry!!! And I don't want to be all the way on the other side of the campus...well, I guess we'll get some excercise though....

Btw, if any of you are applying right now, I have MSN so we can talk about it, lol: [email protected]
Reply 13
but jubilee is a catered hall no? last year applicants got a section for additional information where most pple specified their preferred halls, i was expecting that for this yr too. :frown: We applied pretty early tho and the majority of places are at uni park so we should be ok.....i hope

and also iv already done mine
vavavoom

er..if you want hu stu then shared bedroom or shared bathroom is the option to go for..en suite you will either get cavendish or ancaster i think
Reply 15
rah
er..if you want hu stu then shared bedroom or shared bathroom is the option to go for..en suite you will either get cavendish or ancaster i think

what? is it not better to go for single study?
ali_117
what? is it not better to go for single study?

with single study you have the highest chance of getting university park but its too general, pretty much every hall offers it and you are just as likely to get rutland as you are hu stu (or possibly less as hu stu - something like 200 of its 300 rooms are shared bathroom so that really is the option to go for)
Hello,

I'm currently in my 3rd year at the University of Nottingham, so I know a little bit about accommodation here.

I was in a single study room in Sherwood Hall, which would have been great if it wasn't for the fact that it was far too expensive for me. I currently live in a house in Lenton (the more expensive student area in the city) and pay £42pw incl. water. I think my room in hall was about ~£88pw all inclusive (well, except alcohol!), and I definitely don't spend the difference (£46pw) on food and bills now!!

Most people in Sherwood, and most people I know at Nottingham did not pay their own rent. So if your parents will be paying for your accommodation then concern yourself more with your quality of life. My mate (that i currently live with now) lived in a shared study room in Sherwood and didn't really get on with the person she was studying with. There were no major arguments, but it sort of split our corridor down the middle when we chose who we were to live with in private accommodation in our second year. You're probably better off getting a single study than a shared study. Dunno about shared bathrooms, nor ensuite - guess it depends what you can afford.

If you do have to pay for your accommodation our of your loan, then go for self catering. My parents pay my tuition fees, and then I get a full loan and pay for everything else out of that, which is not enough. Most people max out their student accounts, but I have credit card debts etc too because I chose the wrong accommodation for me. However, one good thing about being poor is that studying is free, and you get to meet lots of cool people with your part-time/holiday jobs. I know a few people that went to Broadgate Park (self-catering) and enjoyed it.

As for which hall on University Park, well they're all pretty similar from what I've seen. One which particularly stands out is Nightingale Hall, which used to be a hotel, and is pretty plush with huge corridors and stuff. Lenton and Wortley Hall is pretty new, so probably plusher than the rest, but I've heard the rooms are smaller. The food is nothing outstanding. You're not going to starve, but its cheap with lots of chips, and there is a lot of money spent on take-away deliveries by students. I put on SO much weight in my first year!!! If you're sporty, then a hall close to the sports centre might be a plan, but I don't think you can choose unless you have a particularly good reason.

I much prefer living in a house. I have so much more control over my life, and if I need to budget so I can afford x,y,z then its possible. Hence I would have chosen Broadgate park if I could do it again. It is also worth noting that transferring between university-owned accommodation is really hard, the accommodation office is f*cking awful. But there will always be a fantastic social environment no matter what hall you choose.

HTH.

Roz.
Hi i was wondering what Broadgate Campus is like, as some people have said it wasnt very nice, and that i should not go there. is it all that bad??
Reply 19
i agree the accom office is awful. I cant log into the site to apply for accom, my id is getting rejected and i accepted nottingham a while ago. Ive emailed but no reply, they have also told me that the accom info booklet isnt available, but it must be as i know people who hav had it!

Latest

Trending

Trending