The Student Room Group

Marketing essay year 1

Hello,

This is the first time I post here because I am a bit desperate for my essay. The subject is :

Erich Fromm (1942) suggested that "modern advertising... tries to impress its objects emotionally and then make them submit intellectually". Critically discuss this quote.

I have a lot of information on it and I would say after reading that the answer is obviously yes. But I don't really find a plan in two or three parts that could be a logical progression on this thoughts.

Do you have any ideas that I could start working with ?
Thank you very much,

Megan
Reply 1
I have the same question (though mine's due tomorrow and I know nothing about Erich Fromm). My basic plan is to first question his qualification to make the statement, then give arguments for and against it: How advertisements engage the object emotionally, then how it makes them submit intellectually. After that, give examples of purely emotional and intellectual adverts to give an argument against the statement.

I have absolutely no idea if that's even right, but it's what I'm doing. Hope it helps in some way.
Reply 2
Sorry that this is a bit off topic but I saw you're doing marketing and it's an option for me at uni, i just wanted to know how you find the course etc? i'm still unsure if it's what i want to go into because i've never had a perspective from anyone who's actually doing the course already:smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending