The Student Room Group

Immerse Education Essay Competition : A Scam???

ive seen people say it's a scam, is it true??

Scroll to see replies

i mean ive seen people actually go to one of their programmes so i dont think its a complete scam. i do not know of anyone whos actually won the competition and got a scholarship tho. i also am not entirely sure abt the quality of the programme and i think its something to be wary of especially bc its v expensive. however theres not much to lose by entering the competition
Original post by TazmeenX
i mean ive seen people actually go to one of their programmes so i dont think its a complete scam. i do not know of anyone whos actually won the competition and got a scholarship tho. i also am not entirely sure abt the quality of the programme and i think its something to be wary of especially bc its v expensive. however theres not much to lose by entering the competition

yeah fair it is quite expensive but might as well enter as u said. thanks for advice!!
Original post by Anonymous
yeah fair it is quite expensive but might as well enter as u said. thanks for advice!!

hey just did a bit of research and apparently, the essay competition is just a marketing ploy. they will give everyone 10%-30% just to make it seem like oh wow i got a scholarship i have to go and so yeah dont expect more than that :frown: could always look into other programmes (john locke programme for next year perhaps?) or look into their bursary scheme (not sure about that tho either)

this is all very confusing i cant lie hhhh sorry
I've got a couple friends who have won scholarships through it.
hey just did a bit of research and apparently, the essay competition is just a marketing ploy. they will give everyone 10%-30% just to make it seem like oh wow i got a scholarship i have to go and so yeah dont expect more than that :frown: could always look into other programmes (john locke programme for next year perhaps?) or look into their bursary scheme (not sure about that tho either)

yh but i feel like what more can u expect??? theres only 10 people that get 100% so if ur not one of them ofc ur gonna get a lower percent. maybe it is a marketing ploy though but isnt that illegal or sum idk
never heard of john locke though might do that next year instead, thank u sm!!!!
yh but i feel like what more can u expect??? theres only 10 people that get 100% so if ur not one of them ofc ur gonna get a lower percent. maybe it is a marketing ploy though but isnt that illegal or sum idk
never heard of john locke though might do that next year instead, thank u sm!!!!

i mean again theres no harm in trying i was just reading the reviews and i read that some parents got together and got their children to write some badly written essays and they all got 10%-30% scholarship hence why i was saying it was perhaps a marketing ploy. if you do decide to apply to a summer school of that sort, make sure to do ur allllll your research :smile:
Friendships
ive seen people say it's a scam, is it true??

I don't think so. Are you participating this year? Do you know if it's to put images?
What percentage of scholarship did they win? Could you please let me know?

someone from my school got a 50% scholarship. it is real
The skills you’ll get from doing the essay are good but like others have said be wary of the marketing ploys they used. For example, I entered it in jañ 2022 and they never announced the winners!!!
Original post by sciencegcsesss
The skills you’ll get from doing the essay are good but like others have said be wary of the marketing ploys they used. For example, I entered it in jañ 2022 and they never announced the winners!!!

They have past winner essays on their website^^
https://www.immerse.education/essay-competition/winners/2022-essay-competition-winner-anais/

think the thing with immerse is that they do hand out 100% scholarships for the winners but for the rest they use low percents as a marketing ploy to get you to go. I entered another essay competition a while back and it also took a while to announce winners due to the large influx of entries.
I got an email two days ago and I got a 30% scholarship. I'm thinking of going to the academic insights programme but now that I've seen people saying it's a scam, I'm not sure anymore:/

Wait seriously? But it said there are 10 people getting 100% scholarship and then 7% of the entrants get up to 50%, where did u hear that they give everyone a small percentage??
Original post by Katerina Bf
Wait seriously? But it said there are 10 people getting 100% scholarship and then 7% of the entrants get up to 50%, where did u hear that they give everyone a small percentage??

i read reviews on platforms such as trustpilot where they all said the same thing - one even said they sent in fake, purposely terrible essays and they still got a small percentge.
I got an email two days ago and I got a 30% scholarship. I'm thinking of going to the academic insights programme but now that I've seen people saying it's a scam, I'm not sure anymore:/

i read reviews on platforms such as trustpilot where they all said the same thing - one even said they sent in fake, purposely terrible essays and they still got a small percentge.

Stay away. These "competitions" are marketing ploys that prey on highly academic students with the promise of increased Oxbridge/RG chances and amazing things to put in the personal statement when they're nothing notable at all. As other posters have mentioned, everyone "wins" some discount, yet the actual programme cost is in the thousands.

I was in Cambridge last summer for a Russian-language summer school and saw one of these companies in action (not Immerse, but one of its competitors) and spoke to some of the students (the college was hosting multiple summer schools - thankfully, I was on an excellent independent programme).

They had concerns about the quality of teaching - the lecturers weren't faculty of Oxford/Cambridge and often didn't show up to the tutorials they were supposed to be giving. Others had concerns of unengaging/basic content. The staff were also apparently very strict on your freedom, you weren't allowed to leave the college grounds unsupervised to explore the town, and there was a curfew every night at 10 pm - these were teenagers between 16-18 years old and being treated like Year 7s...

Suffice it to say, the majority were having a miserable time. It was clear that the staff running the programme weren't keen on them talking to people on other courses, and at one point physically dragged a girl by the arm away from our group when we were having a perfectly normal conversation - it was bizarre, to say the least.

You don't need these schemes to succeed, and I would even hazard a guess they look bad on a personal statement as you're essentially buying your way into very expensive tuition that the majority of people simply can't afford. If you qualify, go for a Sutton Trust Summer School - very reputable; many posters on TSR speak highly of them! Save your money, avoid Immerse and similar companies like the plague.
Original post by BarnabyK
Stay away. These "competitions" are marketing ploys that prey on highly academic students with the promise of increased Oxbridge/RG chances and amazing things to put in the personal statement when they're nothing notable at all. As other posters have mentioned, everyone "wins" some discount, yet the actual programme cost is in the thousands.

I was in Cambridge last summer for a Russian-language summer school and saw one of these companies in action (not Immerse, but one of its competitors) and spoke to some of the students (the college was hosting multiple summer schools - thankfully, I was on an excellent independent programme).

They had concerns about the quality of teaching - the lecturers weren't faculty of Oxford/Cambridge and often didn't show up to the tutorials they were supposed to be giving. Others had concerns of unengaging/basic content. The staff were also apparently very strict on your freedom, you weren't allowed to leave the college grounds unsupervised to explore the town, and there was a curfew every night at 10 pm - these were teenagers between 16-18 years old and being treated like Year 7s...

Suffice it to say, the majority were having a miserable time. It was clear that the staff running the programme weren't keen on them talking to people on other courses, and at one point physically dragged a girl by the arm away from our group when we were having a perfectly normal conversation - it was bizarre, to say the least.

You don't need these schemes to succeed, and I would even hazard a guess they look bad on a personal statement as you're essentially buying your way into very expensive tuition that the majority of people simply can't afford. If you qualify, go for a Sutton Trust Summer School - very reputable; many posters on TSR speak highly of them! Save your money, avoid Immerse and similar companies like the plague.

Gotta echo this! I entered for the Immerse Comp and spent way too much energy on it (obviously was devastated once I realised it was a marketing ploy). I contacted their admin, to which they kept stating that they only give scholarships to 7% of applicants - something I highly doubt (or if it is true that is only because 7% is still a large amount of people). Regardless, it's not worth the effort - stay away!
(edited 1 year ago)

Marketing poly. In my year alone 10 students entered, all got a scholarship. They dont publish who wins and is commended, and most reputable unis consider it to be a scam. But yeah, they are probably lying.
I thought if you get it they will send you a email and a cetificate but I don't think they will annouced it:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending