The Student Room Group

Doing an access course

Hey Guys,
I'm looking for a bit of advice on universities. Okay, my current situation is i am studying a Access to higher education business management course, at Gower college Swansea, in wales. I am extremely determined to go to Bath University, but they say you need 36 credits at distinction, which i am confident i will get. However, failing I don't achieve this and I go to a local university: Swansea. Is it really worth doing the degree at a low standard university, in relation to getting a job at the end of it?
Rather than 'low standard' I think the most important thing to look at is the actual course content. A first at Swansea would be better from a 2:2 from Cardiff, I'd say; and if the modules at a certain Uni don't inspire you then it's unlikely you'll achieve the best you can.

On my access course, the college is overly pressurising in going to local universities, which I don't like. I've had a look at the modules offered at Unis near to me on the courses I want to study and, ultimately, they don't interest me as much as unis further afield.

Personally, I gave up a career to go back into full time education and the access course and, for that reason, I will not compromise on where I go and what I do. That doesn't mean I'm not considering 'lower standard' unis, it means that I want, and I will get, a first for my degree and I think my best chance of doing that is if I study material that really interests me. If I was in my second year, feeling down and swamped with work and generally can't be arsed; actually liking the material I'm studying is going to mean so much more than the fact that the Uni is in the top 10 unis for such and such.
Reply 2
So your saying that your university choice should be subjective to the course modules? i find this admirable and inspirational. However, I still feel anxious about the job bit though, Education is so corrupt, loads of people leave universities with degrees but end up working in Tesco stacking shelves, which is kind of a deterrent to me. i just feel unless your in 1 of the top 10 universities for your chosen subject, you don't stand a chance.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending