The Student Room Group

How did you get over a break up

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by MalteseMalteser
Ended it on good terms. Then got rid of everything to do with her and deleted her off of facebook and my phone...actually did that to her friends as well because I just didn't want to be reminded of anything of the past. In fact, I tried to erase her completely from my memory and forget about her but this hasn't happened yet (and considering what the relationship meant to me, and the fact it's been 11 months) I'm thinking that I'm still not over it completely.

I turned back to gaming, which I hadn't done properly since before we were dating (so pretty much about 18 months) and that sort of helped. I hung around with new friends who I got on well with, changed my image into who I wanted to be, and just tried to avoid her all the time (although when I'd be off to the club or out to a party I'd see her sitting or walking with someone nearby, which was always off-putting). I also put a lot more effort into college work for the two weeks immediately after the break-up but that stopped because I'm actually fairly lazy. I started to enjoy single life though, I put more hours in at work and I was free (thinking about it, I was free during the relationship anyway but I now had more time etc.)

I tried to move on, indeed I did move on by liking girls who I work with, and going to uni in September also helped because I'm at the opposite end of the country to her. I'm not really one for One Night Stands, well my looks and personality almost repel girls away from ONS's on nights out. But I'll always miss her, I'll always miss what we used to be before things went wrong. And even though I was pretty sour towards her and her friends after the break-up (which I am ashamed of) I'm pleased for her and what she's doing now - from what I've heard and what I can see from a distance, she's happy and that's great.

So I guess my advice on how to get over a break-up would be to just completely distract yourself from them. Act like you want to act and be who you want to be. Dig deep and get on with life because in time something better will throw itself at you! in fact, I'm planning on asking out a girl in my seminar class after Christmas and will learn from my mistakes in my last relationship so hopefully all goes well! :smile:

There is hope and there is time, you've just got to believe you'll be fine :smile:

Thanks, i find it hard imaging her with anyone else :frown:
Reply 41
Got all of his stuff and packed it in a box & put it under my bed. Cried it out for a good few days, got very very very drunk, made sure I had friends with me 24/7, if not I would be down the library working on assignments that weren't due in for months, went to the gym a lot, shopped loads, brought loads of DVDs that had no romance elements in like Harry Potter & Despicable Me! Took on 3 part time jobs, cleaned a lot, didn't have any one night stands because I felt even worse even after just kissing someone & just kept myself really really busy. My relationship lasted 5 years before this happened, and I was the one who ended it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 42
bump
Reply 43
Realising there are almost 250million other women suited to you out there?
Me? Booze, fags, and some good old fashioned bitching about him with friends. Oh, I took the gold and diamond necklaces and rings he got me, pawned them for a significant amount of cash and gave the money to a homeless shelter.
DO delete his number and block him from facebook.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending