The Student Room Group

Help on focus

Please I need on help on focus. I always seem to procrastinate and push back homework. I end up rushing and not revising for tests. How do I not procrastinate? Also when I study I can’t stay focused for a very long period, I don’t have ADHD but I can’t get to work and study for a long period even though I do well in long exams. And how can I find study more enjoyable and make studying more of a reflex?
Original post by Isk338
Please I need on help on focus. I always seem to procrastinate and push back homework. I end up rushing and not revising for tests. How do I not procrastinate? Also when I study I can’t stay focused for a very long period, I don’t have ADHD but I can’t get to work and study for a long period even though I do well in long exams. And how can I find study more enjoyable and make studying more of a reflex?
Hi there,

I think it'd be wise for you to look at making yourself a revision timetable, and doing it in a way where it causes minimal stress. What I would do is look at the work I'd done in that lesson for 10-15 minutes after school, as looking over something after having done it lets it stick in your memory better.

Revision doesn't need to be a long task, it should be impactful and meaningful. Also, it then let's you do multiple subjects in a day, and if you do 5 lessons, that's an hour and 15 minutes to go over all of that days work, which can normally be done whilst you're waiting for your tea - and then the evening is your own!

Hope this helps.
Original post by Isk338

Hi,

What sort of way do you currently study (e.g flash cards , mock papers/questions, reading notes)

Have you got a space that you only revise in? I found that if I revised in my bedroom for example I got very distracted and would not concentrate very well. Instead I used the Kitchen table and would turn my phone of any leave it in a different room.

I also made a timetable for myself, which was hard to stick to at first but after a while I got into the routine of it. I would also say if you make a timetable for yourself make sure it’s realistic for you (e.g don’t say you’ll 4 hours of study straight if you find 2 hours hard). I did a hour of revision with a 20-30 minute break. In this break I would leave the room and go on my phone but set a timer so i wouldn’t run over the break.

I also sometimes went for a short walk outside as it helped refresh myself ready to start revising again after the break.

Maybe also look into different types of revision so that you don’t get bored with the same type. I used quizlet quite a lot and I found it alot more enjoyable than always doing past papers and questions, as it was less repetitive.

Suzan - Student Ambassador
Well, short attention spans are a super common struggle for students.

But don't worry, there are ways to manage it!

Here are a few things you should try:

Break things Down: Big tasks feel overwhelming. Try short study sessions (like 25 minutes) with short breaks in between.
This is known as the Pomodoro Technique

Minimize Distractions: Turn off notifications, find a quiet spot, or use an app to block tempting websites.
Move Around: Take a quick walk or do some stretches during your breaks. It helps refocus your brain.

Switch things Up: Alternate between subjects or tasks to keep things interesting.

Talk to Yourself: Sounds weird, but explaining concepts out loud helps you stay focused.
It takes practice to tame your attention span and regain Control, so be patient!
Are these enough?

Try them out and give me feedback.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending