The Student Room Group

Can someone explain foundation degrees for me?

Hello!

I wanted to ask about foundation degrees. At the moment I am studying AS level history, english literature, psychology and health and social but I regret choosing some of the subjects I have, and i want to go on to do biology at university and become a biology and science teacher.

I have looked up courses and I have found biology with a foundation year or life sciences foundation degree, and it states that you can then move on to do biology BSc after the foundation year.

So, does that mean that I can go on to do the foundation course and move on to do biology BSc and then to teacher training? Even without an A level in a science subject?

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 1
Foundation courses are designed for people with a-level (or equivalent) in subjects irrelevant to the degree they want to take. I was at a uni open day and a lecturer said how they will only accept people with good grades, but in a-levels irrelevant to the course (no science a-levels in my case) onto a science foundation course. And that it wasn't designed for people who did science a-levels but got D/Es but wanted to do a science degree. Although I think some unis would accept those kinds of people. Or some would accept people who had 1 science a-level onto a foundation year, when it's usual/ an actual requirement to have 2-3 sciences to go straight onto the course.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by nic-nac
Foundation courses are designed for people with a-level (or equivalent) in subjects irrelevant to the degree they want to take. I was at a uni open day and a lecturer said how they will only accept people with good grades, but in a-levels irrelevant to the course (no science a-levels in my case) onto a science foundation course. And that it wasn't designed for people who did science a-levels but got D/Es but wanted to do a science degree. Although I think some unis would accept those kinds of people. Or some would accept people who had 1 science a-level onto a foundation year, when it's usual/ an actual requirement to have 2-3 sciences to go straight onto the course.

Thank you very much! Well explained! :smile:
Original post by Evangeline07
Hello!

I wanted to ask about foundation degrees. At the moment I am studying AS level history, english literature, psychology and health and social but I regret choosing some of the subjects I have, and i want to go on to do biology at university and become a biology and science teacher.

I have looked up courses and I have found biology with a foundation year or life sciences foundation degree, and it states that you can then move on to do biology BSc after the foundation year.

So, does that mean that I can go on to do the foundation course and move on to do biology BSc and then to teacher training? Even without an A level in a science subject?

Thank you! :smile:

Is it your subject combination you're worried about or something else? If the former, you could still do biology at university without the foundation year. Many great universities will accept psychology as a second science :smile:

Edit: just realised you don't do biology :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by Lucy96
Is it your subject combination you're worried about or something else? If the former, you could still do biology at university without the foundation year. Many great universities will accept psychology as a second science :smile:

Edit: just realised you don't do biology :tongue:
Posted from TSR Mobile

Haha, yeah :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending