The Student Room Group

URGENT! im 17 and i want to redo my a levels

Like the post says I really want to redo my a-levels and this is probably the *****iest time I can say this.I do combined a level lit and lan with game designs that is a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma.Reason why I want to redo my a-levels is my endless sense of worrying of these courses and what uni I can get into and what job I can get. I often see myself doing science subjects and thinking what if I did them instead.my grades are decent : 4: 9s, 5: 8s, and 2: 7s. (With a 4 being French)I want to do biology, chemistry and maths or psychology.I'm starting to worry a lot and lately my mental health has been really horrible thinking of these.Is there any sixth form that take in redos? I have emailed some schools already but they don't take redos.If not, thanks for reading my rant/worries.
(edited 10 months ago)
Original post by noao3nolife
Like the post says I really want to redo my a-levels and this is probably the *****iest time I can say this.I do combined a level lit and lan with game designs that is a UAL Level 3 Extended Diploma.Reason why I want to redo my a-levels is my endless sense of worrying of these courses and what uni I can get into and what job I can get. I often see myself doing science subjects and thinking what if I did them instead.my grades are decent : 4: 9s, 5: 8s, and 2: 7s. (With a 4 being French)I want to do biology, chemistry and maths or psychology.I'm starting to worry a lot and lately my mental health has been really horrible thinking of these.Is there any sixth form that take in redos? I have emailed some schools already but they don't take redos.If not, thanks for reading my rant/worries.

I assume you're in year 12? It's not uncommon for students to restart year 12 - ask your current sixth form if it is possible.
Reply 2

Getting into another sixth form GREATLY depends on where you live. I'm not sure if mine offers redos but ik they are a test centre for private candidates. Have you considered foundation years, access to HE courses or apprenticeships. Degree apprenticeships in stem will want stem subjects but there other careers available.
Do you like your courses? You can go to university with them but unless you go for a foundation year you are unlikely to get a place on a stem course. Also if you're still at college I'd definitely recommend speaking to your careers advisor.
Reply 3

Hi! it’s definitely possible to take another set of A levels and I think it’s more common for colleges to take people to do that rather than a sixth form attached to a school. A couple of people at my sixth form stopped their A levels mid way through year 12 and started something different at the college but that was more of a ‘switch’ than a ‘redo’. I do think you have to pay though if you’re past normal school age and already have level 3 qualifications. Are you not enjoying your subjects or are you just worried about the future? There are other options for uni like an access course or foundation year if you want to do a degree in something different to your subjects as well.
Reply 4
Original post by normaw
I assume you're in year 12? It's not uncommon for students to restart year 12 - ask your current sixth form if it is possible.

my sixth form is quite unique, it only has a level english with level 3 marhs and then the rest of the subject is music, film and then game designs so i cant get the subject i want
Reply 5
Original post by Andi.0k
Getting into another sixth form GREATLY depends on where you live. I'm not sure if mine offers redos but ik they are a test centre for private candidates. Have you considered foundation years, access to HE courses or apprenticeships. Degree apprenticeships in stem will want stem subjects but there other careers available.
Do you like your courses? You can go to university with them but unless you go for a foundation year you are unlikely to get a place on a stem course. Also if you're still at college I'd definitely recommend speaking to your careers advisor.

i live in london, more East london. can you explain what foundation years and He courses are?

to an extent i like it, but i fear this career choice will burn me out really quick if i do get a job surrounding it. my career advisor is not in school, she only emails us.
Reply 6
Original post by becca.grace
Hi! it’s definitely possible to take another set of A levels and I think it’s more common for colleges to take people to do that rather than a sixth form attached to a school. A couple of people at my sixth form stopped their A levels mid way through year 12 and started something different at the college but that was more of a ‘switch’ than a ‘redo’. I do think you have to pay though if you’re past normal school age and already have level 3 qualifications. Are you not enjoying your subjects or are you just worried about the future? There are other options for uni like an access course or foundation year if you want to do a degree in something different to your subjects as well.

I am enjoying my course to an extent but i keep finding myself thinking of science subjects and doing science related stuff and i’m quite worried about the future with these subject in mind. It’s a constant dread that i cant erase, i keep thinking what if i done those a levels instead of these.

For the uni thing i’m not too sure, can you explain it further?
Reply 7
A foundation year is basically for people who want to apply to a particular course but don't have the right A Levels for it. So you'd basically do a year extra, before the course you've applied to, to help you catch up.
Reply 8
Original post by ManUtd_21
A foundation year is basically for people who want to apply to a particular course but don't have the right A Levels for it. So you'd basically
do a year extra, before the course you've applied to, to help you catch up.

would that year just solely be dedicated to that?
would that year just solely be dedicated to that?

Yes it would. You have to be sure that you would want to continue at the same university for your degree as it is rare to be able to change unis once you have completed a foundation year. You would also incur an additional year of tuition fees and living costs. If you are able to move schools to restart A levels, it would be much cheaper for you as you are entitled to free further education as you are 17.
Reply 10

Heya!
Have you thought about doing a foundation year at uni? You can read more about it here :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 11
i live in london, more East london. can you explain what foundation years and He courses are?

to an extent i like it, but i fear this career choice will burn me out really quick if i do get a job surrounding it. my career advisor is not in school, she only emails us.

Ahh ok. Not near where I live so I can't offer suggestions unfortunately.
A foundation year is a year done at university prior to starting your degree. It helps prepare you for the degree content and it is usually for people who either don't have good grades or don't have the right subjects to study that course.
An access to higher education (he) course is a course mainly done by mature students returning to university but can be done by anyone of any age. It can be a replacement for a levels as a lot of people who do it have outdated qualifications. It is done at colleges as opposed to foundation years done at the uni itself.

It sucks that you can't see your careers advisor. There is a national service but it is not good at all. What branch of science are you most interested in?
Also are you more interested in experimenting and lab work or theoretical work?
(I do a level maths and physics)
Reply 12
Original post by Andi.0k

I wouldn't recommend for the OP to do a foundation year. Also the OP has stated their age as 17 in order to do an access to HE course they would have to be 19+. ( I also wouldn't recommend this for the OP as access courses are quite intense and designed for people who are mature students or going back to school after a break from education etc) OP shouldn't do a foundation course at university as that would use up one year of his funding for university and its much better to redo year 12 again with different subjects then do an foundation course etc. Apprenticeships I also wouldn't recommend as they most likely would require 1-2 stem subjects at A-levels to do an degree apprenticeship.
Reply 13

I think you should redo year 12 again. Do you know what you want to do at university and also you get 3 yrs of sixth form funding they get 3 yrs of funding from the government. I think you should talk to your current school about doing year 12 again with different subjects if they refuse look online for sixth form's/colleges that are local to you that do your desired A-levels and enrol in September and start afresh hope this helps :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by normaw
Yes it would. You have to be sure that you would want to continue at the same university for your degree as it is rare to be able to change unis once you have completed a foundation year. You would also incur an additional year of tuition fees and living costs. If you are able to move schools to restart A levels, it would be much cheaper for you as you are entitled to free further education as you are 17.

ohh alright thank you for explaining, i think restarting my a-levels would be more suitable in that prospect. thank you
Reply 15
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
Have you thought about doing a foundation year at uni? You can read more about it here :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

Thank you, I will look into it :smile:
Reply 16
Original post by Andi.0k
Ahh ok. Not near where I live so I can't offer suggestions unfortunately.
A foundation year is a year done at university prior to starting your degree. It helps prepare you for the degree content and it is usually for people who either don't have good grades or don't have the right subjects to study that course.
An access to higher education (he) course is a course mainly done by mature students returning to university but can be done by anyone of any age. It can be a replacement for a levels as a lot of people who do it have outdated qualifications. It is done at colleges as opposed to foundation years done at the uni itself.

It sucks that you can't see your careers advisor. There is a national service but it is not good at all. What branch of science are you most interested in?
Also are you more interested in experimenting and lab work or theoretical work?
(I do a level maths and physics)

Noted, thank you for explaining and for trying, really appreciated. : D
Foundation year sounds nice though still not too sure, apologies for my lack of decision making.

I think lab work is where I would prefer more. The branch science I am most interested in would be forensics? I guess since young I had a curiosity for body? When I was younger I wanted to be a police officer really badly because I thought that would be a way for me to look at crime scenes and specifically any dead body. It was quite morbid (and 'edgy') now I think about it and it was pretty dark and wasn't what a police officer is meant to strive for so I pushed it down. Now I look at it more, I think that was somewhere along the lines of forensics and most probably, my younger self if known, a forensics pathologist. I don't think its entirely dedicated in that field but that what catches my attention the most.

Games design and most specifically art aspect of it has always been my interest but I think I prefer that as a hobby and not something I will make it out of my career due to burnout but then again a forensics pathologist isn't safe to that either.

I am really sorry if this sound messy and unorganized.
Reply 17
Original post by katnix
I think you should redo year 12 again. Do you know what you want to do at university and also you get 3 yrs of sixth form funding they get 3 yrs of funding from the government. I think you should talk to your current school about doing year 12 again with different subjects if they refuse look online for sixth form's/colleges that are local to you that do your desired A-levels and enrol in September and start afresh hope this helps :smile:

For uni somewhere along the line between med and forensics? My current school is a bit different, they only do a level english or level 3 english and maths then the last is music, film or game design course. so I can't do the a-level i want unfortunately. will try! I have been emailing some already :smile: though some declined resits. (I had wanted to email them saying i didn't fail exams it just switching.) Thank you for your recommendation!
Reply 18
Original post by katnix
I wouldn't recommend for the OP to do a foundation year. Also the OP has stated their age as 17 in order to do an access to HE course they would have to be 19+. ( I also wouldn't recommend this for the OP as access courses are quite intense and designed for people who are mature students or going back to school after a break from education etc) OP shouldn't do a foundation course at university as that would use up one year of his funding for university and its much better to redo year 12 again with different subjects then do an foundation course etc. Apprenticeships I also wouldn't recommend as they most likely would require 1-2 stem subjects at A-levels to do an degree apprenticeship.

Ok I didn't know about the he thing but in the UK u get 4 years of funding from SLC unless your course is naturally longer than that (like an integrated masters).
It is true stem apprenticeships need a level maths or science at level 6 but at lower levels it's not necessary (but you comprise on pay).
Reply 19

Hey we are in the same position what did you decide to do. I'm going to retake my alevels and do the science subjects

Quick Reply

Latest