Why do people homeschool

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Listen people I just want to know why not hate on people deciding to do it
Reply 41
Also a big thanks to everyone who contributed :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by Hellz_Bellz!
I was homeschooled for my GCSEs because we had just moved back from abroad and there were no places at any of the decent schools (we would've applied earlier but moving back was quite a sudden decision). My mum didn't want me to go to a rough school, and private school was out of the question so it was really my only option.

I'm actually very happy I did it. I taught myself some of the subjects completely alone, and the others I just had one lesson a week, so it really made me self-disciplined and I'm proud of the grades I achieved. At school I probably would've been bullied (I was very shy at that age). Starting college was difficult because I was suddenly surrounded by thousands of people but I made an effort to make friends and it was fine.

I think homeschooling is a great option for kids to have, as long as their parents keep an eye on what they're doing. It still seems to be a taboo subject, and I was actually teased about it by a few people in college, they said I must be a social retard to have been homeschooled etc. But I got better grades than them so like...

Thank you for providing your personal experiences - apparently that I haven't been homeschooled myself is being used as an attack on my position.
Reply 43
Original post by pjm600
No, you're saying state school is for you, but given the option you'd pick public or homeschool, right?

Yes it was ungrammatical and informal of me, you're right of course, I thought you were pointing out errors as some sort of attack on my position. My apologies if this was not the intention.
Because too many state schools are ****.
Reply 45
Original post by AristoBrat
disagree but I don't think an educated person is going to learn them at a ****ty state school.

Nah mate, I learnt so many essential skills by going to a **** state school.

Where else are you going to learn how to roll a perfect joint and conceal a knife?

Spoiler

Original post by BabyLAD.
I think it robs a child of essential life skills tbh.

and when they go Uni it all comes back like a bitch

I'd rather be a square peg in the social black hole than a lobotomised automaton.

The reason I was home educated was because I did not like school. Simple as.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 47
Original post by alow

Where else are you going to learn how to roll a perfect joint and conceal a knife?

Spoiler

Get me

people act like street smarts counts for jack these days
Original post by alow

any*

Original post by alow

Where else are you going to learn how to

anything*

Original post by alow
Except for prison]
Some of them hate school and prefer to learn about what they want in the comfort of their own home without the same restrictions and rules of a standard school
Reply 50
Original post by laserocrates
any*

anything*

What?

Are you high bro?
Reply 51
Original post by alow

Spoiler

I can't even roll a cig never mind a joint, clearly my state school was rather good :frown:

Saying that it was actually good, it got like the best 6th form grades in Yorkshire and Humber
Reply 52
any*

anything*

If you're like that in real life, it was probably a good idea for you to be home schooled.
Reply 53
Original post by Wattsy
I can't even roll a cig never mind a joint, clearly my state school was rather good :frown:

Saying that it was actually good, it got like the best 6th form grades in Yorkshire and Humber

That's dissapointing. My IT teacher was the first person to show me how to properly use a lighter, I wasn't very old at the time.

Exactly, mine got some of the worst. Lucky I left after GCSEs really.
Original post by alow
What?

Are you high bro?

no, merely expressing the first association that came to mind when I read your post. That is, the main lessons of any mainstream school (rather than the naughty ones at your "****" state school) : this is your place in a hierarchy and you must fear and compete with your peers to maintain said place, directing your mental energies away from questions like "what it is for?", "how does it work?", "should I always do exactly what I am told?", such that the only thoughts left are any combination of climbing the hierarchy, co-opting it, or escape.

like, as you say, prison

also, I don't think I got the quotes to work...
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 55
no, merely expressing the first association that came to mind when I read your post. That is, the main lessons of any mainstream school (rather than the naughty ones at your "****" state school) : this is your place in a hierarchy and you must fear and compete with your peers to maintain said place, directing your mental energies away from questions like "what it is for?", "how does it work?", "should I always do exactly what I am told?", such that the only thoughts left are any combination of climbing the hierarchy, co-opting it, or escape.

like, as you say, prison

also, I don't think I got the quotes to work...

You should be a politician, with all the bull**** you're spouting.

Why are you acting so superior? Trying to compensate for feeling inadequate? \leftarrow They teach us big words at state school too!
Firstly, home schooling does not rob you of social skills, i was home schooled, I went to clubs and classes most of which designed as after school clubs but I also had many friends who were home schooled also. As for the reasons why, my parents chose to because they didn't like the way the curriculum restricted children. For example, I learnt to read and write fairly late on but once i learned i never stopped and i now win awards for my writing. Had i been at at school it is likely i would have felt stupid because i developed slower than my peers and would have lost confidence in my ability

Obviously i am biased and i do think a school education has it's benefits but as i say, i was home schooled through almost all of primary school and i now get the highest grades in my year and have plenty of friends.
Original post by alow
You should be a politician, with all the bull**** you're spouting.

Why are you acting so superior? Trying to compensate for feeling inadequate? \leftarrow They teach us big words at state school too!

but can you use them?

Each individual is different. Some are better being home schooled and some being placed in a state school. In the end, it all comes down to what the needs of the child are.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 58
Original post by kidomo
but can you use them?

I can be very verbose when I want to be. Although it's pointless most of the time.

And I'm not stupid, I did get A*A*A*A for my A Levels, I just happened to go to a crap high school.
Original post by alow
I can be very verbose when I want to be. Although it's pointless most of the time.

And I'm not stupid, I did get A*A*A*A for my A Levels, I just happened to go to a crap high school.

i didn't say you were stupid lol
so you are the succinct guy? I agree, using big words is a waste of time the majority of times and may not even get your point across!
And well done on those grades:yy: you're a star above me(AAAA) lol
(edited 10 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending