The Student Room Group

IBDP Certification route or homeschooling: Which should I do?

Hello guys,

I am a current student in year 12 who is looking for some advice. I was wondering if anyone could provide some clarity on homeschooling routes and platforms, finance options, what happens if you had extra time during GCSE's when you went to school and if that can apply to homeschooler's. Oh and advice on how I can talk to the family about this stuff would also be great. I have included details of my situation below. Many thanks! :smile:

I have been accepted into a prestigious grammar school at the start of the year to complete the international baccalaureate diploma programme but am currently struggling quite a bit. The programme itself is very full on compared to A-levels, having to study English, Maths, A language and a science along with optional humanities/art subjects. Their is also a part of the programme that is known as the 'IB Core', where we have to write a 4000 word essay (the EE), Complete a extra subject (TOK) and C.A.S- 7 activities to complete different objectives.

I have been struggling with my mental health since the beginning of year 10 and am currently going through the process of being diagnosed so that I can receive some professional help. This has impacted my studies so much so that a meeting was called with sixth form staff where they ended up reducing my timetable to see how it goes doing certain subjects (IB Certification route) and if not to consider studying A-levels somewhere else.

For context, the certificate is what a student gets for each passed subject if they failed one in the diploma, and limits a lot of university/further education routes. The school said that they have had students leave to complete A-levels in a year, but with my mental state I do not think that possible, leading me to having to restart year 12. Restarting year 12 is uncomfortable for me especially in school as I feel like a failure, so I have been looking at homeschooling as an alternative. Not to mention due to past experiences I also don't mind working alone.

Whatever I do however, I have to tell my family and there are certain members who will be disappointed as they are the ones who led me to this stage and have particular ideas about my future. So if anyone could help with this and how I can approach them about it too, I would appreciate it thanks!:smile:
Reply 1
Hi, sorry in advance but this is gonna be a bit long.
I'm a grade 12 student who's taking my IB finals this week and will be graduating this June.

Trust me when I say I understand the situation you're in. I am one of 12 students who picked IB in my year group, and even during the final stretch I most probably would not recommend it to anyone I know. Don't get me wrong, it's true that it prepares you for college and you can learn to work faster, but people don't talk about the price you pay as a student. Most of my peers have lost any/all interest in the course they've applied to uni for, there are also many all-nighters that leave you drained, and most people begin to give up on their mental and physical health to complete the two years.
Also, you often spend every second doubting yourself and being compared with others, which (I shouldn't even have to point out) is very harmful for us as children. Even though I am completing the diploma, I often think that I missed out on my time just being a carefree teenager because I was too busy with an IA or my EE. I also had to give up many of my hobbies during this time so my passion fizzled out pretty fast.

Additionally, receiving a certificate is not a failure at all. In fact, the year that graduated before mine had a student who faced some mental health issues and consequently didn't fulfil his CAS requirement. He is still in a brilliant university in Seoul, and doing much better with his health too. Don't let others' expectations make you feel like there is only one path in life, do what is best for your well-being and let others feel however they want, that's none of your business.

The one piece of advice I would like to leave you with is that you should spend some time by yourself figuring out what future you want. Volunteer, work part-time, and research as much as you can. Participating this way will help you connect with your values better and understand what qualities you're aiming for in a career. I have a friend who dropped. out in high school and got credits through online courses, and is in an amazing uni in London now. Nothing is impossible if you're determined to achieve it, but don't let academic validation be what stops you from being happy and healthy.

As for family, those that you care about, try to sit down with them and calmly explain that while you may not have everything figured out right now, you are certain that homeschooling/a gap year will be better for your mental health and will give you time to study while also getting experience and building a pretty impressive CV. Tell them that there are several ways for you to find a fulfilling career without the IBDP, and that you're prioritizing your health. For those who try to criticize you, remind yourself it's not your responsibility to make them happy, it's only to make yourself happy.

I know this isn't easy, so regardless of what you choose, I wish you the best of luck :smile:
Original post by user23184
Hi, sorry in advance but this is gonna be a bit long.
I'm a grade 12 student who's taking my IB finals this week and will be graduating this June.

Trust me when I say I understand the situation you're in. I am one of 12 students who picked IB in my year group, and even during the final stretch I most probably would not recommend it to anyone I know. Don't get me wrong, it's true that it prepares you for college and you can learn to work faster, but people don't talk about the price you pay as a student. Most of my peers have lost any/all interest in the course they've applied to uni for, there are also many all-nighters that leave you drained, and most people begin to give up on their mental and physical health to complete the two years.
Also, you often spend every second doubting yourself and being compared with others, which (I shouldn't even have to point out) is very harmful for us as children. Even though I am completing the diploma, I often think that I missed out on my time just being a carefree teenager because I was too busy with an IA or my EE. I also had to give up many of my hobbies during this time so my passion fizzled out pretty fast.

Additionally, receiving a certificate is not a failure at all. In fact, the year that graduated before mine had a student who faced some mental health issues and consequently didn't fulfil his CAS requirement. He is still in a brilliant university in Seoul, and doing much better with his health too. Don't let others' expectations make you feel like there is only one path in life, do what is best for your well-being and let others feel however they want, that's none of your business.

The one piece of advice I would like to leave you with is that you should spend some time by yourself figuring out what future you want. Volunteer, work part-time, and research as much as you can. Participating this way will help you connect with your values better and understand what qualities you're aiming for in a career. I have a friend who dropped. out in high school and got credits through online courses, and is in an amazing uni in London now. Nothing is impossible if you're determined to achieve it, but don't let academic validation be what stops you from being happy and healthy.

As for family, those that you care about, try to sit down with them and calmly explain that while you may not have everything figured out right now, you are certain that homeschooling/a gap year will be better for your mental health and will give you time to study while also getting experience and building a pretty impressive CV. Tell them that there are several ways for you to find a fulfilling career without the IBDP, and that you're prioritizing your health. For those who try to criticize you, remind yourself it's not your responsibility to make them happy, it's only to make yourself happy.

I know this isn't easy, so regardless of what you choose, I wish you the best of luck :smile:

Hey, thank you for replying. I understand what you mean with regards to having to drop hobbies and the chance of having a normal social life, as I see my my family just generally enjoying themselves and as I always have a million things to do I can never join (I did once upon a time near the beginning of the year and it consistently led to me staying at school from early morning to late evening with no breaks during lunch which considering the long commute I have to take wasn't the best of ideas). If I do homeschooling however, A-levels in particular, I would have the time to take up some extra-curriculars to boost my application and potentially continue my old volunteering job- which should hopefully be a selling point for the family members (fingers crossed).

Whilst your friend in the year above did good with the certification route and only CAS not being completed, I am afraid that would not be the case for me as in the meeting they said to not do the core (excluding ToK if I want as my exhibition draft is already handed in), my language subject and English, which doesn't leave me with the best of options. They will not let me do the standard diploma anymore as they said since they cut down my timetable that 'it is too late to go back', unless I extend the pain of the course and repeat year 12 like I would do if I decide to stay in the traditional school setting for A-levels.

Nonetheless, thank you for your advice and I believe I will go for the homeschooling, so I can have time to find my passion and since I would have the time to get some professional help- I can finally get my mental health on track! All I need to do now really is finalise the details such as letting the school know and finding out about Extra time in Exams, since I have managed to find a online platform to assist me.

Either way, I will give an update on this thread for how it all goes, Good luck with your finals and if you need to talk about anything I am here too:smile: Once again, thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by please help me x
If I do homeschooling however, A-levels in particular, I would have the time to take up some extra-curriculars to boost my application and potentially continue my old volunteering job- which should hopefully be a selling point for the family members (fingers crossed).

Hi :smile:

I completely understand that it's a different situation, and I agree that homeschooling is a great idea! Although it's still possible to do well with an IB certificate, A levels and other homeschooling opportunities will probably be great for a more balanced life and will also look great to universities when they see how you've prioritized your education by choosing a course that allows you to thrive.

As you've mentioned, you'll get to take part in extracurriculars to boost your profile and also any internship/volunteer work as well. Of course, it will look great on a CV, but it can also be great just to be a part of a community and find new interests.
Also, of course, nothing is more important than your mental health and I'm glad you'll be getting the opportunity to get some well-deserved rest.

I hope everything goes well, good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending