The Student Room Group

Homeschool life

I'm really curious, bc whenever I tell people that I'm homeschooled and don't have a tutor (I'm my own teacher) they're always shocked. Is anyone here doing the same thing?
Also, if you are, what is your normal daily routine?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
are you doing alevels? im planning to teach myself maths, physics and further maths. what is it like, and how do you meet people. do you do any extracurricular activities
Reply 2
Original post by ramz89
are you doing alevels? im planning to teach myself maths, physics and further maths. what is it like, and how do you meet people. do you do any extracurricular activities

Yes, I just started my A levels. I've been homeschooled since year 1 but I've never done like a proper exam like A levels.

I like homeschool life, I have a really flexible routine, such as, if my dad has an impulsive decision to go to another city for around 2 days, we would simply pack our bags, and go. But the downside to this, is that you have almost no one to keep you accountable. I know it might be different if you have a study group or something like that. For me, personally, I get demotivated if I don't finish my academic goals for today, which makes it slightly harder to work. But overall homeschool is way better than public school (for me)

No, I don't really have any extracurricular activities, but I do take piano lessons every week and planning to take vocal lessons as well. And I also do service at my church, which is basically the only social thing I do in my week. I meet my friends and people at my church normally, that's why church is the only thing that get me going in my week. Most of my friends are also from church. So, I recommend if you want to do homeschool full-time, to find some sort of weekly activity (such as, church, youth club, and sports) that you can participate in, and be social, because you won't be that social when you're homeschooled
Reply 3
Original post by BraveEagle
Yes, I just started my A levels. I've been homeschooled since year 1 but I've never done like a proper exam like A levels.

I like homeschool life, I have a really flexible routine, such as, if my dad has an impulsive decision to go to another city for around 2 days, we would simply pack our bags, and go. But the downside to this, is that you have almost no one to keep you accountable. I know it might be different if you have a study group or something like that. For me, personally, I get demotivated if I don't finish my academic goals for today, which makes it slightly harder to work. But overall homeschool is way better than public school (for me)

No, I don't really have any extracurricular activities, but I do take piano lessons every week and planning to take vocal lessons as well. And I also do service at my church, which is basically the only social thing I do in my week. I meet my friends and people at my church normally, that's why church is the only thing that get me going in my week. Most of my friends are also from church. So, I recommend if you want to do homeschool full-time, to find some sort of weekly activity (such as, church, youth club, and sports) that you can participate in, and be social, because you won't be that social when you're homeschooled

why do you think homeschool is better for you? have you tried looking for work experience, events or something like fieldtrips and how hard is it to find those kinds of things outside of a school
My kids are home educated.

Well, the eldest was home ed from start of Year 7 to the end of Year 8, and then again from mid Year 9 to end of Year 11.
Now she's actually not home ed, she's in Year 12 at sixth form college.

My second eldest has been home ed since mid Year 8. He's currently Year 11.

My third eldest has been home ed since mid Year 5. He's currently Year 8.

My youngest has been home ed since mid Year 2. He's currently Year 5.

Unlike you, my kids do I/GCSEs.

Without being pedantic, it doesn't sound like you're home schooled, it sounds as though you're home educated.
Reply 5
Original post by ramz89
why do you think homeschool is better for you? have you tried looking for work experience, events or something like fieldtrips and how hard is it to find those kinds of things outside of a school

I think homeschool is better for me, bc where I live the school system requires you to do certain subjects that I think are useless. Also, I'm already homeschooled like most of my life, so I'm already used to it. I know they all have a purpose but I personally think that it's useless. Now, the work experience thing, I wish I could get a job at like a fast food, but in here, all these places have a minimum age of 17, and I'm definately not 17. Events, and other things like that, I normally just go to my Youth church's events. And fieldtrips, we do fieldtrips a lot. We basically just go to a different city for a day or two, and I make projects for myself (even though, most of the time I don't end up doing the project I set for myself).
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

Well, the eldest was home ed from start of Year 7 to the end of Year 8, and then again from mid Year 9 to end of Year 11.

Without being pedantic, it doesn't sound like you're home schooled, it sounds as though you're home educated.

Maybe I am home educated. I never heard of that term before, bc I've been saying "homeschooled" ever since I stop going to public school, which I think is around 9 years ago. But from your explanation, I might be home educated
(edited 1 year ago)
Maybe I am home educated. I never heard of that term before, bc I've been saying "homeschooled" ever since I stop going to public school, which I think is around 9 years ago. But from your explanation, I might be home educated

I didn't write this but it explains it well:

Home education vs Home Schooling- Why does the wording matter?

Elective Home Education is the correct and accurate term for home education in the UK and is a term that veteran home educators fought the government to be used as the preferred term by the DfE (which they now do) I'll cover a few reasons for that below but first...

Elective home education is often referred to as home education, home ed, home edders and EHE. These all represent Elective Home Education.

Home Schooling is a different term and has a much longer history with origins in America, before becoming a popular term in the UK to describe children being taught at home, many years ago. This was then changed to better reflect the educational journey that children who do not use the school system go on.

There are specific issues with the use of the term home schooling:

1️⃣ Evolving language, matters.

Since the Pandemic, Home schooling has taken on a separate meaning in England, to mean education provided by a school to a pupil still enrolled in a school, but who is currently at home.

2️⃣ Words in general, matter.

Education is a human right for every child and part of a parents legal responsibility in the UK.

Schooling is not the same thing. Schooling is an optional way in which you can become educated.

3️⃣ Definitions matter.

Schooling is a method of instruction and training; the act of being taught in a school.

Education is a body of knowledge acquired by the person. (In a range of ways of which schooling can be one)

4️⃣ Perception matters

Because of words and definitions home schooling can imply to others that you are providing 'school at home'.

It leads to a perception of a school room set up at home, with desks and a teacher and a school curriculum and timetables.

5️⃣ Representation matters

When we represent home education as home schooling we tell stake holders such as the local authority to expect school at home practices.

By the very use of 'school' being used to represent home education, we erode other valid and respected approaches to education that exist and ask the local authority to judge us by a school based education.

6️⃣ Education matters

The word education has become synonymous with the word school and with it a push to see anything outside of school based practice as 'wrong'. The words home education challenge this and remind us that education happens in many forms, only one of which is 'school'.

7️⃣ Mindset matters

When you look at how ingrained the word school has become in relation to education, using 'school' to describe your own home education can block your mindset and prevent you from seeing all of the ways that learning can happen. Education provides us with an expanding perspective. Schooling provide us with a restrictived perspective.

8️⃣ Media matters

The media use the term home schooling on purpose to compare the education of home educators, to that of schooled children. They also use it to compare home education to that of 'education other than at school' (EOTAS) where a child is provided education by the local authority - this conflates the two and lumps very different education as one.

These styles and approaches to education are not comparable but by using the word 'school' it implies they are all the same thing.

9️⃣ Expert Judgement matters

Experts such as doctors, education psychologists, social workers and local authorities are often called to give evidence in areas relating to children and education.

Many do not know and have not been trained to know, the laws, the difference between home education and home schooling and the varying valid approaches to education. So will give evidence based on their own unconcious bias towards a school at home approach.

Their ignorance to the differences, the laws and the words that protect our community can be devastating for families.

The word education rather than schooling, can and does change lives and your home educated child deserves protecting against school based standards.

Home education. Not home schooling.

Elective Home Education is the correct and accurate term for home education in the UK and is a term that veteran home educators fought the government to be used as the preferred term by the DfE (which they now do) I'll cover a few reasons for that below but first...

Elective home education is often referred to as home education, home ed, home edders and EHE. These all represent Elective Home Education.

Home Schooling is a different term and has a much longer history with origins in America, before becoming a popular term in the UK to describe children being taught at home, many years ago. This was then changed to better reflect the educational journey that children who do not use the school system go on.

Since the Pandemic, Home schooling has taken on a separate meaning in England, to mean education provided by a school to a pupil still enrolled in a school, but who is currently at home.

Education is a human right for every child and part of a parents legal responsibility in the UK.

Schooling is not the same thing. Schooling is an optional way in which you can become educated.

3️⃣ Definitions matter.

Schooling is a method of instruction and training; the act of being taught in a school.

Education is a body of knowledge acquired by the person. (In a range of ways of which schooling can be one)

4️⃣ Perception matters

Because of words and definitions home schooling can imply to others that you are providing 'school at home'.

It leads to a perception of a school room set up at home, with desks and a teacher and a school curriculum and timetables.

When we represent home education as home schooling we tell stake holders such as the local authority to expect school at home practices.

By the very use of 'school' being used to represent home education, we erode other valid and respected approaches to education that exist and ask the local authority to judge us by a school based education.

6️⃣ Education matters

The word education has become synonymous with the word school and with it a push to see anything outside of school based practice as 'wrong'. The words home education challenge this and remind us that education happens in many forms, only one of which is 'school'.

7️⃣ Mindset matters

When you look at how ingrained the word school has become in relation to education, using 'school' to describe your own home education can block your mindset and prevent you from seeing all of the ways that learning can happen. Education provides us with an expanding perspective. Schooling provide us with a restrictived perspective.

8️⃣ Media matters

The media use the term home schooling on purpose to compare the education of home educators, to that of schooled children. They also use it to compare home education to that of 'education other than at school' (EOTAS) where a child is provided education by the local authority - this conflates the two and lumps very different education as one.

These styles and approaches to education are not comparable but by using the word 'school' it implies they are all the same thing.

Experts such as doctors, education psychologists, social workers and local authorities are often called to give evidence in areas relating to children and education.

Many do not know and have not been trained to know, the laws, the difference between home education and home schooling and the varying valid approaches to education. So will give evidence based on their own unconcious bias towards a school at home approach.

Their ignorance to the differences, the laws and the words that protect our community can be devastating for families.

The word education rather than schooling, can and does change lives and your home educated child deserves protecting against school based standards.

Well-written explanation. I must admit I wasn't aware of the difference between the two but I'm glad I now do. Thank you
Reply 9

3️⃣ Definitions matter.

4️⃣ Perception matters

6️⃣ Education matters

7️⃣ Mindset matters

8️⃣ Media matters

This explained it so well. I have to start calling it Home Ed now. Thank you for the clarification
I'm really curious, bc whenever I tell people that I'm homeschooled and don't have a tutor (I'm my own teacher) they're always shocked. Is anyone here doing the same thing?
Also, if you are, what is your normal daily routine?

Yes, I am doing my A-levels privately. Math, physics, psychology, going to uni in 2023. Some tutor but mostly studying by myself.

I don't have a fixed routine, I don't like organising, other than vague, general ideas of what to do.
Original post by justlearning1469
Yes, I am doing my A-levels privately. Math, physics, psychology, going to uni in 2023. Some tutor but mostly studying by myself.

I don't have a fixed routine, I don't like organising, other than vague, general ideas of what to do.

It's cool to see someone doing something simmilar. Can I ask what's your exam board? If yours is CIE (like mine), did you sperate Mechanics, Statistics, Pure 1 and Pure 2 & 3 like they're their own subject? Bc I seperate them like they're their own subjects, but Idk if I'm suppose to do that
How do you organise and plan your education and where do you get the materials to do so?
How do you then take tests in order to have your education officially recognised?
Have the local authorities helped or hindered in any way?
It's cool to see someone doing something simmilar. Can I ask what's your exam board? If yours is CIE (like mine), did you sperate Mechanics, Statistics, Pure 1 and Pure 2 & 3 like they're their own subject? Bc I seperate them like they're their own subjects, but Idk if I'm suppose to do that

Mine is Edexcel IAL.

For IAL math, they have Pure 1, Pure 2, Pure 3, Pure 4, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1. They're separate, modular.

Original post by TheStupidMoon
How do you organise and plan your education and where do you get the materials to do so?
How do you then take tests in order to have your education officially recognised?

I don't have much organisation, other than a general, vague idea of where to go. Materials can be easily found online. Tests can be done privately.

Not in UK so my answer may not be relevant, but the local authorities where I'm from are totally fine with it. Just need to register for the exams.
Original post by ramz89

Maths... make sure you have a good foundation and practice. Start from textbook questions, then spam past papers. If you have time, try things like STEP Support/Underground Maths/NRICH. Same for FM except FM is harder.

Physics doesn't have too much math. Just be careful of the long questions, they need specific vocab for marks.

Extracurriculars: Sure, perhaps some clubs/volunteering/part-time jobs you can find.

I agree with the flexible routine. And you can go even further, adjusting the pace of your studies. You could go fast and finish your A-levels at 15/16 or take things much more slowly. You could even speed up to go to university at 15/16 if you homeschool.

The downside is also an upside as nobody keeping you accountable is close to how university works: there is almost nobody to keep you accountable other than yourself. It helps prepare for later life, and boosts self-reliance and self-motivation. You can also assess your executive function this way. Many people with ADHD do well at school/tests because school/tests give them a lot of structure. However, once they go to university/work, the structure goes away, the ADHD suddenly becomes apparent and impairs them.

Fair enough, homeschooling has its advantages.

For extracurriculars, I suppose so, to at least have basic social skills.

I suppose there is a difference.
I think homeschool is better for me, bc where I live the school system requires you to do certain subjects that I think are useless. Also, I'm already homeschooled like most of my life, so I'm already used to it. I know they all have a purpose but I personally think that it's useless. Now, the work experience thing, I wish I could get a job at like a fast food, but in here, all these places have a minimum age of 17, and I'm definately not 17. Events, and other things like that, I normally just go to my Youth church's events. And fieldtrips, we do fieldtrips a lot. We basically just go to a different city for a day or two, and I make projects for myself (even though, most of the time I don't end up doing the project I set for myself).

Where are you, out of curiosity?

For the project thing, yes I relate. I am still relatively poor with organising and even trying to meet the plan I set for myself. If this is problematic for you, see a doctor, and get assessed for mental health disorders (e.g. ADHD).

3️⃣ Definitions matter.

4️⃣ Perception matters

6️⃣ Education matters

7️⃣ Mindset matters

8️⃣ Media matters

Thanks for making me aware of the difference between the two!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 15

What grades are you looking to get and how much work did you have to put in
Original post by TheStupidMoon

For me, I just buy the textbooks that I need, and I plan what I need to do to finish the whole textbook in the amount of time that I want in the last week of every month (usually)
Tests, I'm doing A levels, so I could register as a private candidate in schools that are Cambridge representatives
Ngl, this is really annoying, but from where I live, you have to be registered in this semi-homeschool thing, and I have a big exam after Junior High (that's what we call it here) but I really don't want to do it, bc I want to really focus on A levels and getting a 9 on all my subjects
Mine is Edexcel IAL.

For IAL math, they have Pure 1, Pure 2, Pure 3, Pure 4, Mechanics 1 and Statistics 1. They're separate, modular.

I thought I have a lot of maths. Apparently, you have a lot more than I do. But, thanks for the info

Where are you, out of curiosity?

I wish I can say. But I can't for privacy reasons
Original post by ramz89
What grades are you looking to get and how much work did you have to put in

A* in math, A in psychology and physics.

Work? For efficient work, perhaps a couple hours a day of learning concepts and revision and enrichment. The rest is procrastination/daily necessities.

I am quite disorganised and messy so it's lucky I still manage to have a few hours a day for working.

But honestly, there are 24 hours in a day, if you sleep for 8 hrs, meal for 2hrs, shower, toilet etc. 1 hour, that's 13 hours you still have per day. 2-3 hours a day means I have 10-11 hours a day free, lol. Many times I procrastinate on unrelated ****/get distracted, often for hours.

Quite inefficient use of my time compared to what it could be.
For me, I just buy the textbooks that I need, and I plan what I need to do to finish the whole textbook in the amount of time that I want in the last week of every month (usually)
Tests, I'm doing A levels, so I could register as a private candidate in schools that are Cambridge representatives
Ngl, this is really annoying, but from where I live, you have to be registered in this semi-homeschool thing, and I have a big exam after Junior High (that's what we call it here) but I really don't want to do it, bc I want to really focus on A levels and getting a 9 on all my subjects

So when do you plan to finish your A-levels and things like that?
I thought I have a lot of maths. Apparently, you have a lot more than I do. But, thanks for the info

Not necessarily, the sylllabus is basically the same for all A-levels. It's simply split into smaller modules for Edexcel IAL.
I wish I can say. But I can't for privacy reasons

Fair enough

Quick Reply

Latest