The Student Room Group

IGCSES

how do you take igcses rather then normal gcses as a private candidate, im looking into homeschooling (not online) but i realise most gcses have coursework and im wondering how u can do igcses without attending school or being part of an online school?
Reply 1
Some IGCSE's also have coursework btw, im doing Cambridge International for history and both English lit and language and I had to do a 40 mark history coursework essay.
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7137122#post96280502

That thread tells you pretty much everything you need to know
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 3
im currently homeschooled .homeschoolers usually take igcse edexcel. u basically can do ur igcse whenever u want. they take place in nov may/june and jan. if u go on the pearson website it will find the closest private candidate exam centres near u. u just fill out forms but u have to pay for each subject so keep that in mind.btw u really dont need any resources except youtube to pass ur igcse so if u want youtuber recommendations ill be more than happy to tell u
(edited 11 months ago)
Original post by siocrystal
im currently homeschooled .homeschoolers usually take igcse edexcel. u bascually can do ur igcse whenever u want. they take place in nov may/june and jan. if u go on the pearson website it will find the closest private candidate exam centres near u. u just fill out forms but u have to pay so keep that in mind

Home educating students (home schooling is entirely different) don't always take IGSE Edexcel - it all depends on the subject

My daughter did 2 OCR GCSEs, 2 Cambridge IGCSEs, and 4 Edexcel IGCSEs.

My eldest son has done 1 Cambridge IGCSE, he's currently doing 1 OCR GCSE and 1 Edexcel IGCSE, and next year will be a second Edexcel IGCSE

Second eldest son has done 1 Cambridge IGCSE, he's currently doing a second Cambridge IGCSE, next year he'll be doing 1 OCR GCSE, and the following year will be 2 Edexcel IGCSEs

Also there are November sittings in all IGCSE exams for all ages, as well as the summer sittings.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 5
im currently homeschooled .homeschoolers usually take igcse edexcel. u basically can do ur igcse whenever u want. they take place in nov may/june and jan. if u go on the pearson website it will find the closest private candidate exam centres near u. u just fill out forms but u have to pay for each subject so keep that in mind.btw u really dont need any resources except youtube to pass ur igcse so if u want youtuber recommendations ill be more than happy to tell u

thank you smmm! and yes please give me some recommendations because uhm schools confusing😭
Reply 6
Original post by PinkMobilePhone
Home educating students (home schooling is entirely different) don't always take IGSE Edexcel - it all depends on the subject

My eldest son has done 1 Cambridge IGCSE, he's currently doing 1 OCR GCSE and 1 Edexcel IGCSE, and next year will be a second Edexcel IGCSE

Second eldest son has done 1 Cambridge IGCSE, he's currently doing a second Cambridge IGCSE, next year he'll be doing 1 OCR GCSE, and the following year will be 2 Edexcel IGCSEs

Also there are November sittings in all IGCSE exams for all ages, as well as the summer sittings.

if you don’t mind, can you tell me how sitting exams as a private candidate works and why your kids took different exam types depending on the subject? thanks:smile:
Original post by nowkshiwhs
if you don’t mind, can you tell me how sitting exams as a private candidate works and why your kids took different exam types depending on the subject? thanks:smile:

If you look a little further up, it's all explained in the link I provided :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by nowkshiwhs
thank you smmm! and yes please give me some recommendations because uhm schools confusing😭

for science i watched 'sciencewithhazel' she covers a whole paper in one vid.go to her playlists her vids are super helpful. also for science you can find pass papers online just go over them too.for math id recommend 'gcsemathstutor' i got an 8 in math coz of him and for English 'mreverythingenglish' is really good. for english however its going to be kinda tricky doing it all on ur own coz no one can give u feedback and tell u ways to improve so post it ur work on TSR so people can give u feedback.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 9
for science i watched 'sciencewithhazel' she covers a whole paper in one vid.go to her playlists her vids are super helpful. also for science you can find pass papers online just go over them too.for math id recommend 'gcsemathstutor' i got an 8 in math coz of him and for English 'mreverythingenglish' is really good. for english however its going to be kinda tricky doing it all on ur own coz no one can give u feedback and tell u ways to improve so post it ur work on TSR so people can give u feedback.

tysm
Original post by PinkMobilePhone

i know students can take different exam boards if they want but the reason why most homeschoolers dont take other exam boards is coz for ie; aqa for science u have to do practical's with tools they might not be very familiar with coz theyve never used them before but i mean for me personally i took igcse edexcel coz if found it easier not having to do practicals
Reply 11
i know students can take different exam boards if they want but the reason why most homeschoolers dont take other exam boards is coz for ie; aqa for science u have to do practical's with tools they might not be very familiar with coz theyve never used them before but i mean for me personally i took igcse edexcel coz if found it easier not having to do practicals

yh that’s a good point aswell

Only a few subjects actually have practicals. Sciences of course, and the speaking element of English Language. However that doesn't mean that Edexcel is the only option, as CIE doesn't have practicals either.

You're wrong in assuming that most home educators (again, still not home schoolers) only take Edexcel IGCSE. That's just you personally.
(edited 11 months ago)
Reply 13

Please do share recommendations youtube videos thank you
Original post by Sam000123
Please do share recommendations youtube videos thank you

for english - Mreverythingenglish
science - science with hazel
Math - GCSE maths tutor

go on the playlists and go through the vids. Hope this helps :suith:

Quick Reply

Latest