The Student Room Group

Muslim patrols to target Londoners this Friday to impose Sharia law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by DaveSmith99
No, that's the last thing we want to do. We're no better than them if we start to claim down on personal freedoms, the vast majority of Muslims are good people and they have every right to practise their religion. Doing that would just radicalise more Muslims.

Well said.

Also, watch the youtube video posted on Page 1 where an Islamic teacher/lecturer rips their position to bits.

I will be the first to concede that parts of Islamic thinking, ideas and teachings are not entirely compatible with everything held sacred by liberal Western values. However - these are usually minor/irrelevant aspects that do not concern most Muslims living in the West.

People appear to have lost all perspective in relation to this topic. On the one hand we have the hysterical reactionaries who want to ban anything vaguely to do with Islam (not realising how illiberal that is in) and on the other we have those that are unwilling to accept that there are issues with certain aspects of Islamic ideas being compatible with Western liberalism. There are very few people who seem to have a well reasoned view on the topic. At least that is how I have seen it/experienced it.
Reply 81
The situation is over exaggerated by the tabloids. This has nothing to do with bomb plots either, if they are plotting to detonate bombs then they will be jailed for a long time.

I'd say it's understated to be quite honest. It's too late jailing people after innocent people have been murdered. People should be asked to state what their exact political position is as regards this country and if they advocate doing harm to it they should be kicked out.
Reply 82
Original post by r32
Well said.

Also, watch the youtube video posted on Page 1 where an Islamic teacher/lecturer rips their position to bits.

I will be the first to concede that parts of Islamic thinking, ideas and teachings are not entirely compatible with everything held sacred by liberal Western values. However - these are usually minor/irrelevant aspects that do not concern most Muslims living in the West.

People appear to have lost all perspective in relation to this topic. On the one hand we have the hysterical reactionaries who want to ban anything vaguely to do with Islam (not realising how illiberal that is in) and on the other we have those that are unwilling to accept that there are issues with certain aspects of Islamic ideas being compatible with Western liberalism. There are very few people who seem to have a well reasoned view on the topic. At least that is how I have seen it/experienced it.

Liberals are the extremists' best friends
Original post by aeon439
I'd say it's understated to be quite honest. It's too late jailing people after innocent people have been murdered. People should be asked to state what their exact political position is as regards this country and if they advocate doing harm to it they should be kicked out.

Define harm? There are lots of things that I would want to change about this country, what makes say my desire to abolish the monarchy different to a muslims desire to ban alcohol?

The people who are actually serious about doing harm to the country aren't going to admit to it on a questionnaire.
Original post by officelinebacker
http://www.fbi.gov/stats-services/publications/terrorism-2002-2005/terror02_05#terror_05sum

I know that these figures are for the USA, not the UK, but the same trends hold true over here.

Between 1980 and 2005 less than 10% of all terrorism related incidents in the USA were committed by Muslims. The vast majority of attacks were carried out by latinos, and there were more attacks by Jewish extremists than by Islamic extremists.

So should we also be completely stopping immigration from all South American countries, stop those pesky latinos coming over here, and how about those Jews? Should anybody Jewish be prevented from entering the UK because they are dangerous to society?

But what percentage of people killed were killed by muslims ?
Reply 85
now I might have to go there for a drink :tongue:
Reply 86
Define harm? There are lots of things that I would want to change about this country, what makes say my desire to abolish the monarchy different to a muslims desire to ban alcohol?

The people who are actually serious about doing harm to the country aren't going to admit to it on a questionnaire.

People attend lectures by extremists who often say stuff against the West. I'm pretty sure if we looked at the online rantings of the two who killed that soldier they would be stating death to soldiers/Westerners etc

Unfortunately no one takes it seriously enough and he lost his life in a horrific manner

We've evidently got the technology to identify all these people but seem to prefer to wait until the atrocities are committed a lot of the time. Perhaps it's deliberate on the part of government to show us what these people are like?
Original post by aeon439
People attend lectures by extremists who often say stuff against the West. I'm pretty sure if we looked at the online rantings of the two who killed that soldier they would be stating death to soldiers/Westerners etc

Unfortunately no one takes it seriously enough and he lost his life in a horrific manner

We've evidently got the technology to identify all these people but seem to prefer to wait until the atrocities are committed a lot of the time. Perhaps it's deliberate on the part of government to show us what these people are like?

The people giving these lectures are committing crimes, and they are punished whenever possible.

Who decides what's harm and what's not harm? Whoever has this position would be insanely powerful, how do we know they wont abuse the powers?

Doing this wouldn't be legal either, we'd be taken to the ECHR
I found this funny

Spoiler

Reply 89
The people giving these lectures are committing crimes, and they are punished whenever possible.

Who decides what's harm and what's not harm? Whoever has this position would be insanely powerful, how do we know they wont abuse the powers?

Doing this wouldn't be legal either, we'd be taken to the ECHR

Well I reckon a certain amount of terrorist attacks are allowed to happen, so that the government gets more sympathy for its foreign policy.

The Human Rights Act has done more harm than good in my opinion - it seems to be a charter for criminals to remain in this country due to their 'right to a family life'. They can have a family life elsewhere as far as I'm concerned.

There will be a horrible right-wing backlash against all this sooner or later
as people will reach breaking point

The popularity of UKIP and groups like the EDL are signs of it
Original post by Silent Witness
As a Muslim, I would happily go and confront these misguided zealots. This response perfectly sums up how wrong this is from an Islamic view.

[video="youtube;fpDJTBBwrKM"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpDJTBBwrKM[/video]

seeing as you're a muslim, could you tell me the reason why so many muslims feel the need to speak in arabic? what point is there? this is england, surely english is perfectly acceptable? is it based on a doctrine that, because muhammed was arabic, that means that muslims *must* be like him and speak his language? that's a bit fundamentalist don't you think? why is language that important? is it cultural or is there some underlying purpose?
Reply 91
Original post by TheLoveDoctor
seeing as you're a muslim, could you tell me the reason why so many muslims feel the need to speak in arabic? what point is there? this is england, surely english is perfectly acceptable? is it based on a doctrine that, because muhammed was arabic, that means that muslims *must* be like him and speak his language? that's a bit fundamentalist don't you think? why is language that important? is it cultural or is there some underlying purpose?

I'd say because Arabic is more complex and expressive language?

Why do you care about what language they speak?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
I'd say because Arabic is more complex and expressive language?

Why do you care about what language they speak?

Posted from TSR Mobile

okaay, so far you're saying "arabic is a tough language to speak, therefore, it is proper that they speak it to show how good they are", I have no idea what you're talking about. and "why do I care?" I don't, I'm telling you that when I see them chanting their **** in arabic it seems insane and therefore it devalues their religion. I don't care about their religion, but if you're going to say something 2013-esque like "you should respect their religion!" then I'll point to this and tell you why not - if they do something berserk like this then it's not worth defending
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by aeon439
Liberals are the extremists' best friends

You are confusing the liberal values I referred to in my earlier post with people considered (wrongly on the most part) to be 'Liberals' either by the mainstream media or themselves. If you think genuine liberals are friends of extremists, notwithstanding the difficulty of comprehending this concept, what exactly do you base this on?

Your use of the word liberal in this context leads me to believe - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you are probably quite authoritarian. In fact, given that you wish to deport people that disagree with you, I'm minded to think that is the case. I would therefore suggest that you probably share more in common with the extremists you wish to deport than you realise. The main difference probably being that your propensity for violence or advocating violence is not as significant. That said, deportation could be considered a form of violence.

What are you on about?

People speak whichever language they like. I don't think it has anything to do with religion. The guy in the video was reciting a prayer I believe in Arabic prior to commencing his sermon, this is customary. He is not "speaking in Arabic" per se. In any case, what difference does it make if people speak in a different language? Is there a specific reason you believe that they should speak in English? Or is it just so you can be privy to their intimate conversations?
Original post by r32

What are you on about?

People speak whichever language they like. I don't think it has anything to do with religion. The guy in the video was reciting a prayer I believe in Arabic prior to commencing his sermon, this is customary. He is not "speaking in Arabic" per se. In any case, what difference does it make if people speak in a different language? Is there a specific reason you believe that they should speak in English? Or is it just so you can be privy to their intimate conversations?

I never said they should be forced not to speak in arabic, I said they're pretty irrational to think that they must learn two languages to be a good muslim or something - surely you understand that idea? why on earth would learning two languages be this important for believing certain things said in a certain book? they have english translations of the quran now, right? if anything this just makes their religion seem fundamentalist and it excludes the english cultural population because it acts as a barrier to transparency in that religion; if they can't understand what the person chanting that out is saying then how are they meant to relate to its ideas?
Reply 95
Original post by r32
You are confusing the liberal values I referred to in my earlier post with people considered (wrongly on the most part) to be 'Liberals' either by the mainstream media or themselves. If you think genuine liberals are friends of extremists, notwithstanding the difficulty of comprehending this concept, what exactly do you base this on?

Your use of the word liberal in this context leads me to believe - and correct me if I'm wrong - that you are probably quite authoritarian. In fact, given that you wish to deport people that disagree with you, I'm minded to think that is the case. I would therefore suggest that you probably share more in common with the extremists you wish to deport than you realise. The main difference probably being that your propensity for violence or advocating violence is not as significant. That said, deportation could be considered a form of violence.

What are you on about?

I disagree

Id deport the people who want to harm others - that is common sense

To defend and support people who want to harm us is illogical and stupid

Liberalism has nearly destroyed this country and has hampered the Conservatives in trying to re-establish law and order and hopefully people will remember this at the next election

Liberal attitudes are behind the reluctance of police and social workers to deal with grooming gangs as well. Fear of being seen as racist is more important than stopping child abuse.

I despise a lot of what the left stands for to be quite honest. I want people to be kept safe from harm and the left will not do this if your abuser is in some 'protected' group, which gets given special dispensation to act as they please
Reply 96
okaay, so far you're saying "arabic is a tough language to speak, therefore, it is proper that they speak it to show how good they are", I have no idea what you're talking about. and "why do I care?" I don't, I'm telling you that when I see them chanting their sh*t in arabic it seems insane and therefore it devalues their religion. I don't care about their religion, but if you're going to say something 2013-esque like "you should respect their religion!" then I'll point to this and tell you why not - if they do something berserk like this then it's not worth defending

If I could speak Sanskrit, I would.

I dont know what you're talking about really. The Qu'ran is in Arabic and must be read in Arabic if you have any hope of really understanding it fully.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Ggmu!
If I could speak Sanskrit, I would.

I dont know what you're talking about really. The Qu'ran is in Arabic and must be read in Arabic if you have any hope of really understanding it fully.

Posted from TSR Mobile

that really sounds like something a fundamentalist would think. just saying. if the language can be translated there's no case for how one language can mean different things when you can simply look up what a word means in an arabic-to-english dictionary
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 98
that really sounds like something a fundamentalist would think. just saying. if the language can be translated there's no case for how one language can mean different things when you can simply look up what a word means in an arabic-to-english dictionary

How can you call your ignorance MY fundamentalism?

Arabic is hundreds more times complex than English! Not to mention the Qu'ran is not written as prose and requires Arabic to understand it!

English is a simple language and old classical languages do not translate well into English.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Viva Emptiness
I really enjoy your posts, Al. Please don't ever stop.

It's like stormfront in reverse :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending