The Student Room Group

HELP

I was just wondering, i am currently in my second year at college and getting ready for my third year in 2014. I am studying Health and Social care at level 3 along with English Lit & Lang at A2. I would like to become a psychiatrist or a counselor, something in that field. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to what i should do next because i have no clue. And also.. what is the best thing for me to do at college next year... biology, chemistry, physics?
Thank you :smile:
Original post by taylortiffany
I was just wondering, i am currently in my second year at college and getting ready for my third year in 2014. I am studying Health and Social care at level 3 along with English Lit & Lang at A2. I would like to become a psychiatrist or a counselor, something in that field. Can anyone give me a straight answer as to what i should do next because i have no clue. And also.. what is the best thing for me to do at college next year... biology, chemistry, physics?
Thank you :smile:

I think you should do some research into your career options before deciding what to take at college next. Becoming a psychiatrist involves a minimum of 5 years at medical school plus 2 years in general medical/surgical jobs before starting psychiatry training. Becoming a counsellor would involve considerably less time at university. Have you considered mental health nursing or being a psychologist? Think about what appeals to you about each job and work out which is most suited to you, and then work out a plan of how to get there.

If you decide on psychiatry, you'd need to speak to medical schools about the best route to take as you've already started on A levels but without the right ones to meet normal entry requirements. I'm uncertain as to whether your H&SC would make you ineligible for foundation year medicine (for people who took non-science A levels), so this is something for you to look into.
Reply 2
Some good advice above.

Psychiatrists are doctors and as such have very long training that is competitive to get onto, but there are lots of mental health professionals that are not doctors too. See what appeals to you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending