The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Where to go? MSc Bristol or Edinburgh

Hi there!

I have a few questions concerning the MSc in International Relations at Bristol or the MSc in European and International Studies at Edinburgh.

I have an offer to start at the MSc at either Bristol (International Relations) or the MSc at Edinburgh (European and International Studies) this fall, but which one should I go for?

According to the latest RAE results from 2001, Bristol got 5 whilst Edinburgh “only” got 4 in social science (Glasgow also got 5). On the other hand, Cambridge also only gained 4, but I doubt that social science at Cambridge is lacking behind Bristol, so exactly how accurate/useful are these RAE results really?

Also, Edinburgh is much more renewed when you go outside the UK. I didn’t know anything about The University of Bristol before I started to do some research into where I wanted to study, but I already knew of Edinburgh. This is also a factor to be considered when you are applying from abroad not knowing much about UK universities except the usual few (Oxford, Cambridge and in social science LSE).

In addition, I would like to find a term job whilst studying, what are the odds for finding an interesting job in Edinburgh vs. Bristol? I would assume (not knowing much about the realities that is…:redface:)) that it would be easier to find an interesting job in Edinburgh, taking into account the size and not least political status of the city (Edinburgh being the Scottish capital…) compared to Bristol?

Anyone?

Regards Morten (From Copenhagen, Denmark)
Reply 1
Moebius
Hi there!

I have a few questions concerning the MSc in International Relations at Bristol or the MSc in European and International Studies at Edinburgh.

I have an offer to start at the MSc at either Bristol (International Relations) or the MSc at Edinburgh (European and International Studies) this fall, but which one should I go for?

According to the latest RAE results from 2001, Bristol got 5 whilst Edinburgh “only” got 4 in social science (Glasgow also got 5). On the other hand, Cambridge also only gained 4, but I doubt that social science at Cambridge is lacking behind Bristol, so exactly how accurate/useful are these RAE results really?

Also, Edinburgh is much more renewed when you go outside the UK. I didn’t know anything about The University of Bristol before I started to do some research into where I wanted to study, but I already knew of Edinburgh. This is also a factor to be considered when you are applying from abroad not knowing much about UK universities except the usual few (Oxford, Cambridge and in social science LSE).

In addition, I would like to find a term job whilst studying, what are the odds for finding an interesting job in Edinburgh vs. Bristol? I would assume (not knowing much about the realities that is…:redface:)) that it would be easier to find an interesting job in Edinburgh, taking into account the size and not least political status of the city (Edinburgh being the Scottish capital…) compared to Bristol?

Anyone?

Regards Morten (From Copenhagen, Denmark)

i would go to Bristol :smile: for your subject it is very good indeed
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
Moebius
Hi there!

Hmm interesting, first point is that there is very little, perhaps nothing between the two academically. The best advice I can give is that chose based on location, i.e. go wherever you are most comfortable. Aside from that, I would take a very close look at the course structure, the means of assessment and the like-then go to whichever you're better suited towards (the two courses you've named do seem to have a slightly different emphasis). I think it's very important to have a close look at this, the value of your degree after completion will be determined by how well you perform during the year.

Regarding the RAE, generally they are quite useful, but sometimes they do tend to mislead. Actually, lets take a relevant example, i.e. Cambridge for International Relations. Cam. doesn't have the illustrious history in IR of the LSE or Oxford, and also it has a very poor RAE score (on this index, anything below 5 is just dreadful for any research led university). Now, after all this you may well be inclined to think that IR is a weak area at Cambridge and that it's best to stay away. You would be wrong to think this, it has to be one of the most selective degree programmes in the world, the minimum for even being considered is a first class degree and even at that there are something like 10 applications per place. You are going for a masters degree, the research profile is of SOME importance, but really you must assess the degree independent of that. The RAE rating would be of critical importance only if you were applying for the doctorate.

Anyway, you cannot go wrong, both of the universities have an excellent reputation. As for Edinburgh, I think it's the city that's famous, the university in terms of 'prestige' in/outside of the UK is very similar to Bristol. Both of these universities have a large number of people from independent schools, also the entry grades at A level for incoming undergraduates are amongst the highest in the UK. The research profile at both is pretty good.
Reply 3
I'd go to Edinburgh. Fantastic city, very good university, better international reputation.
Reply 4
Thank you for the replies!

I know there is a slight difference between the two courses I mentioned. Edinburgh seem to focus a bit more on European matters (hence the title..) whilst Bristol has a strong focus on gender issues (Yark!!...sorry....ahmm....:smile:) and more traditional foreign policy issues.

But isn't there anybody that knows more about the way they structure the courses?

I know for a fact that I have to write 8 essays in Bristol, but only 6 essays in Edinburgh, does this mean that the courses are longer in Edinburgh? or does it just mean that it is easier to study in Edinburgh than in Bristol?

Bristol is a bit more detailed when it comes to explaining the course structure, for instance, I don't know what the MSc pass mark is in Edinburgh? In Bristol it's 60% in the essays, and 60% in the final dissertation (4 or more essays with 70% + 70% in the final dissertation earns you an commendation in Bristol).

I have this strange theory that the reason why Edinburgh scores lower in the 2001 RAE results is perhaps due to the fact that the social science department has been restructured a few years ago. Perhaps this influenced the score?

Morten
Reply 5
sisyphus
I'd go to Edinburgh. Fantastic city, very good university, better international reputation.

edinburgh's got better rep than bristol? :confused:

Latest

Trending

Trending