The Student Room Group

What are your experiences with Duac Gel?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by musejames93
Ask for Roaccutane, it will completely clear your acne.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ive heard a lot about that but isnt there like really serious side effects?
Original post by carmella.grace

There are serve side effects but the chances of them happening are so minimal it's really not worth letting them bother you. I was on the drug for about 5 months and only had your usual side effects: chapped lips and dry skin.

I'm not going to lie and say it was a pleasurable experience over the 5 months but I'm 100% glad I went through it because my skin is now completely clear and not had a single spot since I come off. I wouldn't let the sort of horror stories put you off going on the drug.
Reply 22

Yes, there are. But it's something you have to weigh up and take the best decision for you personally. I'm not experiencing any bad side effects currently, just some dry skin.

However, it certainly isn't something you try without having previously exhausted all other forms of treatment.
Reply 23
Should i be more patient and stick with it for longer or should i ask my doctor for a different product?

I feel your pain. I tried every product out there and none of them worked - Duac gel worked for a month or so but then I developed allergies to it. The only thing that works is Roaccutane! Seriously, its worth the few side effects (aching muscles and dry skin) if you're that worried about your skin and if you feel its affecting your life I would really reccommend it.
Good luck :smile:
I experienced really dry, sensitive, itchy skin when I first started using Duac gel. I combatted this by only wearing it for about 3 hours a day instead of overnight (I'd just put it on in the evening when I got home and then washed it off at bed time) and then slathered my face in E45 the rest of the time. Got rid of my acne and no dry, red-raw skin!
Original post by HistoryGeek123
It cleared up my acne within 2 months- but my skin became so dehydrated it actually aged in parts (fine lines around my mouth and forehead!) so now I take anti-biotics (not as effective as Duac but they don't damage skin). Use an intensive moisturizer alongside duac (Clarins is good, its what i'm currently using to repair the damage) and a rich foundation- my skin would literally drink my make-up when I was using Duac.

Hi, I’m literally just starting to use it now, do you put the moisturiser on top?
Original post by numar9501
With things like duac and anything you use for acne it takes 2-4 months before you see any major improvement...duac helped me quite a bit but it dried my skin out really badly. Even if you cant see the drying effects right now be sure to moisturise twice a day, using a heavy moisturiser in the evening. For now i would say stick with it, your doctor would probably advise the same to be honest since in the instructions sheet it says the gel is not immediate acting. :smile:
By the way Duac is supposed to lessen the amount of acne not really get rid of it completely.

Hi, do you put moisturiser over the duac at night?
After how long can I stop using duac. I want to stop after 2 months. Do I stop gradually by reducing how much I put on or just suddenly stop? My acne isn’t that bad at all and I just started using duac today.

Quick Reply

Latest