The Student Room Group

GCSE what pen can i use?

Hi, today when I went to school, I heard that you will be disqualified if you use a gel pen. Is it true? For the further maths exam, I used a gel pen (black ink) so will I get a 0 on that paper? thanks !
Reply 1
Original post by Sumikko
Hi, today when I went to school, I heard that you will be disqualified if you use a gel pen. Is it true? For the further maths exam, I used a gel pen (black ink) so will I get a 0 on that paper? thanks !

The regulations say:

"Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers."

source: https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/IFC-Written_Examinations_2023_FINAL.pdf

My understanding is that there's potentially an issue with the "ink" that gel pens use and heat; and that the process of scanning exam papers so they can be marked can generate heat sufficient to cause the writing either to fade (or vanish) or to be smudged (or something like that, at least).

You might say, "well, I wrote some stuff at home and scanned it on my scanner and it was fine" -- but exam boards will be using industrial-quality scanners scanning thousands of pages at a time, probably faster than a page per second. They're going to get quite warm doing that.

Now it might be that this will only affect certain types of gel pen, perhaps only using certain types of gel. But since there's no way to say "this one is fine and this other one isn't", the safest thing to do is just to say "no gel pens".

I'm sure that if there's evidence that there is/was something on the page, and the examiner can identity that, then the physical paper exam script can be retrieved and the examiners will do their best to mark what they can find ... but why take that risk?
Reply 2
What they do is during scanning they run the paper through a very hot scanner. Normally, they askk u not to use gel pen since it might get smudged if it is wet by accident etc. But if it isnt smudged, then you are perfectly fine. If you use an erasable gel pen, the ink will burn away in the scanner n there r youtube videos showing this and they do ATTEMPT to restore it in a freezer.
Reply 3
b(Original post by martin7)The regulations say:

"Do not use correcting pens, fluid or tape, erasable pens, highlighters or gel pens in your answers."

source: https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2023/02/IFC-Written_Examinations_2023_FINAL.pdf

i see thanks

My understanding is that there's potentially an issue with the "ink" that gel pens use and heat; and that the process of scanning exam papers so they can be marked can generate heat sufficient to cause the writing either to fade (or vanish) or to be smudged (or something like that, at least).

You might say, "well, I wrote some stuff at home and scanned it on my scanner and it was fine" -- but exam boards will be using industrial-quality scanners scanning thousands of pages at a time, probably faster than a page per second. They're going to get quite warm doing that.

Now it might be that this will only affect certain types of gel pen, perhaps only using certain types of gel. But since there's no way to say "this one is fine and this other one isn't", the safest thing to do is just to say "no gel pens".

I'm sure that if there's evidence that there is/was something on the page, and the examiner can identity that, then the physical paper exam script can be retrieved and the examiners will do their best to mark what they can find ... but why take that risk?

Original post by martin7
The regulations say:

Quick Reply

Latest