The Student Room Group

Can i use oil gel pens in the exams?

I heard youre not allowed gel pens but am i allowed to use oil based gel pens. in particular matador pens? they dont smudge easily and the ink still remains if the paper becomes wet so should i still use them in my exams?
To be on the safe side, I would only use a black biro. All exams are marked online so there is the risk the computer won't pick it up. Make sure you write in black
i have only every used gel and ink pens in my exams and they have always been fine
Original post by Yipyipee
i have only every used gel and ink pens in my exams and they have always been fine

Was that for mocks?
Does it leak through the page? If it can be seen on the other side of the page, it can be hard for the marker to read what you've written
Original post by Phoenix181
Was that for mocks?

all of my gcse exams and as exams, the real things
Reply 6
Original post by AzureCeleste
Does it leak through the page? If it can be seen on the other side of the page, it can be hard for the marker to read what you've written

no it doesnt. i googled it and apparently its a hybrid between a biro and gel pen so is that alright? i write quicker and neater with it
Original post by Yipyipee
all of my gcse exams and as exams, the real things

I think the rules might have changed cause on the front of the papers it says "you may only write in black ink or black ball point pen"
Original post by Phoenix181
I think the rules might have changed cause on the front of the papers it says "you may only write in black ink or black ball point pen"

gel pens count as ink pens, its always said that
As long as they arent shiny sparkly ones
Gel pens to me have always been those sparkly pens lol and I have never seen a black one
Original post by isadiya
no it doesnt. i googled it and apparently its a hybrid between a biro and gel pen so is that alright? i write quicker and neater with it

As long as it doesn't smudge, or leak through the page so that it affects your answers, I don't see the problem with it
Original post by isadiya
I heard youre not allowed gel pens but am i allowed to use oil based gel pens. in particular matador pens? they dont smudge easily and the ink still remains if the paper becomes wet so should i still use them in my exams?

uno that old woman invigilator in our chemistry i swear i heard her say 'you are not to use gel pens' stick with ball my man better safe than sorry. Also come round my house for iftar we making kisuri wid dem fit somosas, well dem tell me
Reply 13
Original post by nishathjk
uno that old woman invigilator in our chemistry i swear i heard her say 'you are not to use gel pens' stick with ball my man better safe than sorry. Also come round my house for iftar we making kisuri wid dem fit somosas, well dem tell me

jheez i'll be at your door at 9 i'll bring some mishti and gelabis safe
I think as long as the ink is black then it wont matter but then again i wouldnt want to risk it. i would just use a standard biro to be safe. If youve already done some exams with that pen then i wouldnt worry about it as long as its black
Reply 15
Original post by isadiya

i know this is late but did you end up using the pen because ive already used it in two exams🥲🥲
Reply 16
so can you use it in you exams?
Original post by jksW

You are not supposed to use gel pens in GCSE or A level exams.
This is clearly stated in examination documentation and is supposed to be mentioned by your invigilators before each exam (page 65)
https://www.jcq.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2022/10/ICE_22-23_Oct22_FINAL.pdf

Some gel pens are fine, some have caused problems in the past. If you do use them and there are any issues with marking your paper then it's down to you and no allowance will be made.

P.S. It's usually recommended to start a new discussion rather than resurrect a 4 year old one.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 18
Original post by jksW

yeah i continued using it in some exams and i was perfectly fine and got all my gcse results
are matador trio 0.6mm ballpoint pens allowed in the GCSEs exam?

Quick Reply

Latest