The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shyla
Good to hear you solved it. A tad annoying if they have extended the deadline as I could always do with more time to work on an application but oh well. All done now!

You should check with them tomorrow as you might be able to submit an updated/amended version? Don't see why not...?

Also, this might be a typo in the ad but the title says the pupillage vacancy is for September 2014 but the body of the advert refers to Autumn 2015... might have to clarify with No.5 in the morning.

I'm holding off for now.
Reply 181
Original post by SevenAteNine
Eugh. Not a fan of chambers changing their deadlines AT ALL.

Wait a minute - the application for No5 on Gateway now is for a September 2014 intake. The one due today is for October 2015. I guess one of the pupils chosen last year couldn't start pupillage in September.

It's confusing as Epiphany83 pointed out, the 'headline' and 'email' say 2014 but the 'pupillage start date' and 'how to apply' both say 2015 on gateway. No updates from their twitter/website. Sigh.
Reply 182
No5 seem to have extended it! http://www.no5.com/recruitment/pupillage/
Does anyone know what happened to Furnival? It seems to have slipped under everyone's radar that they disappeared from the gateway then just posted a random message saying their pupillage policy needed updating...
http://www.furnivalchambers.co.uk/home/recruitment.asp#
Could be another legal aid loss of pupillage?
Original post by rhysross
Does anyone know what happened to Furnival? It seems to have slipped under everyone's radar that they disappeared from the gateway then just posted a random message saying their pupillage policy needed updating...
http://www.furnivalchambers.co.uk/home/recruitment.asp#
Could be another legal aid loss of pupillage?

Not helped by two of their clerks helping themselves to £20,000...

http://www.thelawyer.com/news/practice-areas/bar-news/furnival-chambers-dismisses-two-clerks-over-missing-20k/3005329.article

I did a mini there - they're a very friendly set with a good reputation for quality work. Hopefully they will be in a position to offer pupillages again soon!
I did one as well, which is why I was so surprised that they weren't offering pupillage given that my mini was in the last week of March following which they just disappeared!
No5 are aware of the autoreply, which is incorrect.
I'm one of the Kaplan-ites who now needs to find somewhere else for the BPTC. Does anyone have any experience of the BPTC at the University of Law, and how it compares to the other London providers? It's advantageous for me to go there as they've promised to honour any fee agreements we already came to with Kaplan.

Any advice appreciated!
Original post by crimeandcivil
I'm one of the Kaplan-ites who now needs to find somewhere else for the BPTC. Does anyone have any experience of the BPTC at the University of Law, and how it compares to the other London providers? It's advantageous for me to go there as they've promised to honour any fee agreements we already came to with Kaplan.

Any advice appreciated!

Have you not considered Nottingham? As I'm sure both Kaplan and Nottingham teach the course on the same basis, which could perhaps be an advantage, taking into your original choice in Kaplan?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you both!
I did consider Nottingham, but even with the BPTC being cheaper there I think I'd lose out, as my parents live in London so I'm lucky enough not to have to pay rent if I go to law school here.

I'll carry on my discussion on the right thread now!
Middle Temple BPTC Scholarship results are out by email - good luck everyone who applied!
Reply 191
CPS Legal Trainee Scheme (guidance from a former legal trainee)

To anyone applying for pupillage at the CPS please read the following before you apply so that you are aware of the situation:

1. There are no higher rights of audience. So if you accept pupillage at the CPS and are taken on you will not be allowed to do any work within the crown court. You will be limited to magistrates/youth court work for the foreseeable future. There are no plans to change that in the next coming years.

2. A great deal of the magistrates/youth court work is done by agents working at the independent Bar. Consequently you will be required to spend a lot of your time in the office and not in court.

3. The training you get will depend very much on your pupil supervisor and line manager. Each pupil's experience will differ depending on this therefore it isn't always consistent between pupils.

4. The structure of your development is very much down to you and you are not always supported.

5. The morale amongst those working at the CPS is very low due to cut backs.

It is also important to highlight some of the benefits of joining the CPS too.

1. You are paid well (compared to some criminal pupillages offered in sets).

2. You get to work on and observe a great variety of cases.

3. You will have the opportunity to network with practitioners from the independent Bar as well as in house employees.

If you are thinking of applying I think you should be aware of these issues so that you can make an informed decision. I hope this allows you to do that.
Original post by Tara85
CPS Legal Trainee Scheme (guidance from a former legal trainee)

To anyone applying for pupillage at the CPS please read the following before you apply so that you are aware of the situation:

1. There are no higher rights of audience. So if you accept pupillage at the CPS and are taken on you will not be allowed to do any work within the crown court. You will be limited to magistrates/youth court work for the foreseeable future. There are no plans to change that in the next coming years.

2. A great deal of the magistrates/youth court work is done by agents working at the independent Bar. Consequently you will be required to spend a lot of your time in the office and not in court.

3. The training you get will depend very much on your pupil supervisor and line manager. Each pupil's experience will differ depending on this therefore it isn't always consistent between pupils.

4. The structure of your development is very much down to you and you are not always supported.

5. The morale amongst those working at the CPS is very low due to cut backs.

It is also important to highlight some of the benefits of joining the CPS too.

1. You are paid well (compared to some criminal pupillages offered in sets).

2. You get to work on and observe a great variety of cases.

3. You will have the opportunity to network with practitioners from the independent Bar as well as in house employees.

If you are thinking of applying I think you should be aware of these issues so that you can make an informed decision. I hope this allows you to do that.

Do you happen to know when the CPS will open up pupillage recruitment? Is it still expected to be in Summer....
Original post by rhysross
Do you happen to know when the CPS will open up pupillage recruitment? Is it still expected to be in Summer....

It's already open. Check out their website.
Dere St interviews out by email

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by LegalPoodle
Dere St interviews out by email

Posted from TSR Mobile

Dere Street Barristers? Wow they were quick... First rejection by silence for me then

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SIE2013
Dere Street Barristers? Wow they were quick... First rejection by silence for me then

Posted from TSR Mobile

They don't usually reject by silence. It ain't over till the email hits the inbox!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lloyds PR interview invites out by email
Reply 198
Well congrats to Legal Poodle. They're a nice set.
Original post by SevenAteNine
This marks my first "damnit, I really thought I had a shot with those guys" rejection of the year.

If anyone needs me, I will be eating my feelings in cheese.

Ditto. Although I'm not eating my feelings in cheese. I don't like that much cheese. Cake? Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending