The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Anyone heard anything from Blackstone?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rejection from Devereux. Obviously didn't need very much 'consideration'!

(Also nothing from 42BR)
Original post by Law_student_007
Hi all,

As anyone heard from 42BR ?

TY

Nope, nothing from them yet. Still says "Applied" on the gateway.
Interview invitation from Cloisters yesterday, rejection from Devereux today. Swings and roundabouts.

Reflecting on some of the earlier posts about what chambers want - I think that there are no hard and fast rules. Yes there is a certain threshold of competence/achievement/academics/ability to write an application but beyond that, it is about whatever the particular readers/markers who are reading your apps are looking for that particular year. And I have also heard about some pretty savage culling processes, some based on harsh but at least consistent criteria (e.g. connected with early academic achievement), some involving splitting a pile of applications and inserting one half in the rejections bin, unread.

When it gets to interview stage, it seems to me to be about a combination of strong performance(s) on the day (as would be required in court or in assessments), a good fit with the people interviewing you, and good, old-fashioned luck. Beyond that initial threshold mentioned above, pupillage selection can seem a rather more arbitrary process than one might at first imagine, and one over which the ultimate decisions are largely beyond our control. I think that, and the limbo (that comes with uncertainty, being on standby at often short notice and being unable to plan one's life) are what makes this process such a challenge and such an opportunity.
I'm so confused about Pallant Chambers. I have received no rejection but equally I am unaware of anyone with interview invites?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My pupillage gateway applications are not doing well for me, but my direct pupillage applications are doing considerably better!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone heard from Crown Office Chambers yet (not Crown Office Row, the more commercial/common law set)
Reply 587
Soooooo 3 rejections so far, and two response emails saying that they had about 300 applicants for 2 pupillages and interviewed 20-30. That gives a rather pleasant 1 in 15 (or 1 in 10) chance of interview, then a 1 in 10 (or 1 in 15) chance of pupillage after the interview. For a grand total of a 1 in 150 chance. Guess I chose the wrong career!
Original post by Neo
Soooooo 3 rejections so far, and two response emails saying that they had about 300 applicants for 2 pupillages and interviewed 20-30. That gives a rather pleasant 1 in 15 (or 1 in 10) chance of interview, then a 1 in 10 (or 1 in 15) chance of pupillage after the interview. For a grand total of a 1 in 150 chance. Guess I chose the wrong career!

With respect (and mindful of the fact that I am alongside you in this process), if that is something you have just established then you probably did choose the wrong career.

Your 1 in 150 statement is wrong too; that presumes a lottery where all chances are equal. It is more likely that your chance is significantly better or worse than 1 in 150. This will be based on your academics and your personal qualities. Only you know whether that makes it better or worse.
Original post by paulm44
I'm never sure on whether to contact chambers or not regarding apps. I'm sure there's nothing to lose by doing it so I don't know why I am so reluctant.

I agree with NearlyLegal: there's no point. Either you're in a waiting list to be told good news, or you're in a waiting list to be told bad news.

If you email then you're not going to get a material response quicker than if you're patient. Nothing positive will come from emailing them: it's highly improbable you'll receive any preferential treatment, but you may risk annoyance. Do you want to add another variable to the minefield?
Reply 590
2 Harcourt building rejection

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 591
General rule for those new to the process....

if people are getting invited to interview at a chambers you've applied to, and you haven't heard anything further from those chambers, you've been rejected by silence.

I only say this because there's been about 4 pages with at least 1 question on each about a chambers who have asked people to attend interview and someone hasnt heard anything themselves. Constantly asking, instead of looking, makes it a bloody pain to try and actually find the info you're searching for. Just wait for them to get in touch until it becomes plainly apparent that you've been missed out.

Also, generally, if people hear about something a specific chambers at post-application/pre-interview stage, they'll post it.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by JPGR
General rule for those new to the process....

if people are getting invited to interview at a chambers you've applied to, and you haven't heard anything further from those chambers, you've been rejected by silence.

I only say this because there's been about 4 pages with at least 1 question on each about a chambers who have asked people to attend interview and someone hasnt heard anything themselves. Constantly asking, instead of looking, makes it a bloody pain to try and actually find the info you're searching for. Just wait for them to get in touch until it becomes plainly apparent that you've been missed out.

Also, generally, if people hear about something a specific chambers at post-application/pre-interview stage, they'll post it.

Spot on. It's a shame that the chambers work this way, but considering the logistical nightmare of dealing with so many applications I'm not entirely surprised. However, I remember learning how to work a mail-merge in GCSE ICT so it's a little disappointing.
Original post by filthynines
With respect (and mindful of the fact that I am alongside you in this process), if that is something you have just established then you probably did choose the wrong career.

Your 1 in 150 statement is wrong too; that presumes a lottery where all chances are equal. It is more likely that your chance is significantly better or worse than 1 in 150. This will be based on your academics and your personal qualities. Only you know whether that makes it better or worse.

On a more positive note, it is 1 in 150 for each application you make. Therefore a full set of 12 apps on the GW brings it down to about 1 in 13 and if you try for three years on the trot then more bites at the cherry makes your chances across the three years about one in five. This is then, of course, adjusted according to the strength of your application as said above but it does at least take the edge off it - n'est pas?
Original post by InterviewVirgin
On a more positive note, it is 1 in 150 for each application you make. Therefore a full set of 12 apps on the GW brings it down to about 1 in 13 and if you try for three years on the trot then more bites at the cherry makes your chances across the three years about one in five. This is then, of course, adjusted according to the strength of your application as said above but it does at least take the edge off it - n'est pas?

Sorry, I can't agree with this either.

Firstly, there does need to be acceptance that those with Oxbridge Firsts with top-grade GDL will be far more likely than Swansea University (my Uni) with 2:2.

Secondly, if each application has 150 applicants then your chances of success are still 1 in 150 (if you accept this) because you are then effectively 12 applicants in a pool of 1750. We can't multiply our own chance by 12 but not the applicant pool.

Thirdly, a new wave of applicants enters the fray each year and so the pool swells. However, another wave drops out as they are no longer eligible for selection. This changes the probability in an unknown way.

I would love to think that the likelihood of me gaining pupillage is 1 in 5, but it just isn't.
Original post by InterviewVirgin

I struggle to see how a full set of 12 apps brings your chances down to 1/13? And how more bites at a cherry suddenly reduces them to 1/5 over 3 years? I imagine we need a maths student (I will admit to having negligible knowledge of maths) to help us with any concrete probabilities.

In any case, trying to work out your chances are next to impossible, unless you're applying with a 2:2 (in which case, without any good mitigating circs, it's a near impossibility) or you're the type of person who genuinely thinks they have a good shot at Blackstones et al (in which case, you'll probably stroll to 7 offers, and the those with backup offers will being praying that you don't choose their set).
Summary from today, since several of the sets have been mentioned above:

Blackstone have sent out rejection letters to some Gateway apps. They have also called for references and interviewed for assessed minis - I suspect they are now fully booked or nearly so for this summer by now.

Rejection from 3 Hare Court by email. Not updated on Gateway.

Invitation to interview from Devereux by email/Gateway.

Nothing heard from Crown Office Chambers but they acknowledged my references.
I think again this thread of going a bit crazy with mathematical statistics and what not. Let's leave all that out and stick to the purpose of this thread.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 598
Anyone heard anything from 14 Gray's Inn Square, Harcourt, 3 Paper Buildings, Coram Chambers?
I've seen that people have received interview invites/rejections from Five Paper (civil), but I am yet to hear anything at all. What is this madness?!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending