The Student Room Group

The Pupillage Interview/Acceptance/Rejection Thread 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by LegalPoodle
Mine still just says under consideration for Red Lion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Interviews for Red Lion Square were sent out on Friday, sorry to be the bearer of bad news!
I received an email from the PG saying "Pupillage Gateway - You received mail from JGP".

Logged into my account and saw Carmelite says "First Interview" but don't know where to find "mail". Does anyone know please?

Thank you.
Yep, 4 Breams and Carmelite both changed to unsuccessful within two minutes of each other.

What makes this process so frustrating is the apparent lack of rhyme and / or reason to the whole system. I have got interviews at sets that may be deemed 'better' than others that have rejected me outright. Oh well!
Original post by ExBurpi
Well I'm glad to know I'm not the only one - I've been averaging about 3 interviews a year on the portal for the last two years.. this year: nada! Maybe I'm on the shelf!?

I've soothed my woes by setting up a mini; getting a job at Citizens Advice Bureau; applying for marshalling; picking a subject for the Bar Council essay competition; starting to search for a team-mate for mooting.

Nothing like a multitude of rejections to get you inspired!!

What are your plans for the 'year off'?
Original post by middler
Anyone heard from QEB post first-round?

Nothing yet!
Has anyone heard from the following:
5 St. Andrew's Hill
John Coffey Chambers

Thanks
Reply 1787
Anyone heard anything from KBW Leeds, only one left on the gateway
Original post by ht456
Anyone heard anything from KBW Leeds, only one left on the gateway

Nyet
Original post by renoiresse444
5 St. Andrew's Hill
John Coffey Chambers

Thanks

No - no news.
Original post by Crazy Jamie
Despite your first three words, the rest of your post would suggest that you actually do not appreciate the situation. It's not just that barristers give up their evenings and weekends to sift, because the tone of that suggests that they are giving up free time. Sifting takes a huge of time, and most barristers will not only give up time they would otherwise be spending with their families to do it, but also time they would otherwise spend working. So barristers who take part in a sift actually lose money for the privilege. And it's not as if barristers can simply blast through it and go on instinct; generally speaking barristers take sifting very seriously, as anyone would with a degree of empathy, and given the incredibly high standard of applications nowadays sifting has become far more time consuming and difficult than it ever has been in the past.

No, it is not ideal when timetables slip, but sometimes it is simply unavoidable. Most barristers who sift applications will have a level of seniority, and will likely be both successful and extremely busy. Sometimes complex cases come along or emergency situations arise that simply demand a large amount of immediate time. I say 'sometimes', it happens more than you might otherwise think. So on occasion those barristers will not physically have the time to sift, which will push back timetables.

Of course there are a whole host of other possible reasons as well. But perhaps the most important point to make here is that timetables are probably being pushed back so that the sift can happen properly, and that the applications are being given the attention they deserve so that the best decision can be made. Thus criticising the delay makes very little sense, and comparing it to a pupil missing a deadline only serves to highlight your ignorance, as the two really couldn't be more different.

Yes, I know this process can be frustrating and soul destroying. I remember it well. And I also know that the temptation to vent your anger on the process or individual Chambers is great. Again, been there. But instead of condemning those who hold a position that you aspire to be in, it might genuinely do you better to exercise restraint and try harder to understand their position, not just as barristers but as people. Not least because forgetting that barristers are people, and not cold hearted professionals, is one of the main mistakes that candidates make in interview, and indeed throughout this process.

I think most people on here appreciate that it can't be much fun for the sifters, and that they may lose income/free time. But let's be honest - this is an annual task undertaken to sustain/renew what are, in many cases, highly profitable businesses by attracting the very highest calibre of graduates. It should be done properly (and I level no particular criticism at the particular chambers for missing a deadline) and if that takes time so be it. And a bit more honesty - however draining the sift may be, I'd exchange it any day for the grind/disappointment of being on the other end of the process, as I bet everyone else on here would.

A good point is made in the comment above. However, at the same time in my view it typifies the somewhat self-pitying "we already have to do too much" viewpoint that is responsible for a great deal of the flaws in the recruitment system - from the mere discourtesies (e.g. the seeming inability of some sets to draft a 3 line rejection email and mass mail) to the more substantial (e.g. zero feedback ever, use of points systems to grade applications not published anywhere).
Original post by renoiresse444
5 St. Andrew's Hill
John Coffey Chambers

Thanks

No John Coffey yet.
I have an interview clash!! Does anyone know if I can amend my interview booking for an interview booked via PG?? I haven't tried as I'm worried if I click on "cancel" that my interview appointment will get lost in the system somehow...

Any help much appreciated, thank you. :smile:
Reply 1793
Does anyone know the format of second round Pump Court Chambers? Would be greatly appreciated :-)
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by KLFHOME
I think mordantrich has a point. When you've got hundreds of eager applicants waiting with baited breath it is unwise to announce a deadline, unless you're really sure like Outer was.

I think with all written communication it's easy to misread or misfeel something into it - in mordantrich's defence I think the comments didn't warrant the reaction!!

I'm assuming rejection by silence but has anyone heard from the following:

Parklane Plowden

Chartlands

Holbourn

Linenhall

9 Park Place

I did say my aim this year was to get at least one interview to perhaps give me hope that I may be good enough for pupillage.

And I have had exactly one interview, so I got that going for me, which is nice...
Original post by Isabel2013
I have an interview clash!! Does anyone know if I can amend my interview booking for an interview booked via PG?? I haven't tried as I'm worried if I click on "cancel" that my interview appointment will get lost in the system somehow...

Any help much appreciated, thank you. :smile:

Just call them or email the person who sent out invites. Seriously, don't fret over the technology. They understand candidates have clashes sometimes! It shows you are in demand too.
Reply 1796
Linenhall have only had applications for a month, so I wouldn't rule them out yet. As for the others, I'm not sure!
Reply 1797
Original post by TempestLaw

Parklane Plowden

Chartlands

Holbourn

Linenhall

9 Park Place

I did say my aim this year was to get at least one interview to perhaps give me hope that I may be good enough for pupillage.

And I have had exactly one interview, so I got that going for me, which is nice...

Linenhall have only had the applications one month, so I wouldn't assume rejection by silence from them! From my perspective, I haven't been rejected yet
Reply 1798
Original post by TempestLaw

Parklane Plowden

Chartlands

Holbourn

Linenhall

9 Park Place

Parklane Plowden have sent out first and second round invites, sorry. I haven't heard from any of the others.
I wonder if the majority of chambers even read beyond the "Academics" section of applications?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending