The Student Room Group

The Cambridge 2014 Results Day Discussion Thread [offer holders]

Scroll to see replies

Original post by dragonkeeper999
:O Awesome :smile:
There's a lot of molecules and reactions, but not so much of the actually understanding what's going on like we have in Chemistry - i.e. if you're really good at memorising chemical structures and hundreds of reactions and the enzymes catalysing them then you would be great at Cells... Well, there's a bit of understanding how all the reactions link together but not too much...
Compsci is apparently really hard, but I guess if you're actually good at computers/ programming then you would be fine :smile: I would totally fail :tongue:
Earth Sciences sounds really good - everyone seems to love it :smile: Wish I had picked it over Cells personally... There's lots of rocks and field trips and analysing dirt but apparently it's great fun :biggrin:

That sounds good :smile:
Maths B is the harder one - Maths A and B are mainly taken by PhysNatScis, although a fair number of Biologists do Maths A... Most do Mathematical Biology (need A level Maths) or Elementary Maths for Biologists (need GCSE Maths) I think...

Oh I'd do maths A then - I love maths too much to only do Mathematical Biology! How busy are you day-to-day?
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Cell biology: I'm dropping bio at AS because its just so crap, no learning why, just what. So if it's that again....

CompSci: I've no knowledge of computing but I want to learn :lol: it'd be useful for the future and looks fun :ahee:

Earth Sciences: chemical compositions? As you can tell chem is the best :colone:

Yep - Cells :tongue: I only did AS Bio since my school wouldn't let me fast track it in year 13 - which I think has put me at a bit of a disadvantage at uni. However, I really enjoyed it at sixth form, possibly because it was really easy - we had a great teacher and I had already done most of the stuff in AS/ A2 Chemistry or from extra reading anyway... Unfortunately it's not so easy at degree level!
I did briefly consider CompSci as a module - mainly because it would be useful. However, I'm absolutely useless with technology and apparently because the course is sort-of shared with 'proper' CompScis the NatScis tend to get slightly lower marks... Besides, we learn some of the basics of computing, e.g. MATLAB, in physics/ the extra maths 'scientific computing' lectures/ practicals in Michaelmas term. However, if you think you would enjoy it, get a bit of experience and go for it :biggrin:
Not too sure about the Chemistry content of Earth Sciences - it might be more about the structures and slightly larger-scale composition of rocks etc. I'm not an expert though - perhaps see if you can find the syllabus/ lecture notes somewhere online...
Yep - Chemistry's definitely one of my favourite modules atm :biggrin:
Yep - Cells :tongue: I only did AS Bio since my school wouldn't let me fast track it in year 13 - which I think has put me at a bit of a disadvantage at uni. However, I really enjoyed it at sixth form, possibly because it was really easy - we had a great teacher and I had already done most of the stuff in AS/ A2 Chemistry or from extra reading anyway... Unfortunately it's not so easy at degree level!
I did briefly consider CompSci as a module - mainly because it would be useful. However, I'm absolutely useless with technology and apparently because the course is sort-of shared with 'proper' CompScis the NatScis tend to get slightly lower marks... Besides, we learn some of the basics of computing, e.g. MATLAB, in physics/ the extra maths 'scientific computing' lectures/ practicals in Michaelmas term. However, if you think you would enjoy it, get a bit of experience and go for it :biggrin:
Not too sure about the Chemistry content of Earth Sciences - it might be more about the structures and slightly larger-scale composition of rocks etc. I'm not an expert though - perhaps see if you can find the syllabus/ lecture notes somewhere online...
Yep - Chemistry's definitely one of my favourite modules atm :biggrin:

It's easy but boring! Want to drop it and fast track French early to do further maths in class. I'd welcome a challenge if there's more chem :mmm:

Aah okay, if I don't get to grips with it I'll choose between the bio and earth sciences (I can't believe I'm talking about this... I doubt I'll even get in!:lol:)

:awesome: definitely the best thing :colone:
Reply 183
Original post by dlaiden
Anyone know when Cambridge updates Track?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Probably not for a while - I think colleges' deadline to send their offers to the Central Admissions Office (who then send it to UCAS) is something like January 28!
If your college gets on with it, it might be quite speedy though. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 184
Original post by flindtasaurus
Any fellow Magdalene NatSci-ers here? :smile:
Congratulations to everyone!

Heyy I'm a NatSci Magdalene swimmer haha. If you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like?
Original post by Epic Flawless
Congrats! I saw your astounding UMS on the Cambridge stalking page before so I'm not surprised. :smile:

Congrats to you too, your UMS was pretty incredible too, plus the RES essay nomination, absolutely amazing! Guess we'll probably see each other next year haha :biggrin:
Reply 186
Original post by ellenparkerr
Well Done! :biggrin::biggrin: I've got an offer for History at Jesus too! When was your interview? I was on 10th December :smile:

Ahh well done! Mine was on the 12th, what did you think of it?

Was your offer an A*AA?
Original post by ermm
Heyy I'm a NatSci Magdalene swimmer haha. If you don't mind me asking, what were your grades like?

My AS grades (if that's what you meant) were straight As, and my offer is A*A*A* in Chemistry, Maths and Further maths, then an A in AS Physics! Yours?
Reply 188
Original post by Loonylottie
What are you stats if you dont mind?

GCSE = 13 A*s

AS levels = 5 As, average UMS is 94

Predictions at A2 = A* A* A* A

:smile:
Economics at Pembroke here :smile:, any other Valencians about?
Reply 190
Offer from Kings for Law! Really didn't expect it, resigned myself to rejection after waiting all day at work to get home to my letter! A*AA
Reply 191
Original post by flindtasaurus
My AS grades (if that's what you meant) were straight As, and my offer is A*A*A* in Chemistry, Maths and Further maths, then an A in AS Physics! Yours?

Oh wow, how about your UMS?
What an insane offer, 3A*s!!! So much for candidates will 'typically be asked for A*AA'. Good luck! :smile:

I'm in the pool and post A level; I got A*A*AAB at A level.
Just got my offer from Queens' College to study Law!
Original post by L'Evil Fish
It's easy but boring! Want to drop it and fast track French early to do further maths in class. I'd welcome a challenge if there's more chem :mmm:

Aah okay, if I don't get to grips with it I'll choose between the bio and earth sciences (I can't believe I'm talking about this... I doubt I'll even get in!:lol:)

:awesome: definitely the best thing :colone:

Yeah, luckily I had a really great teacher for Biology AS so I quite enjoyed it then - however if you looked just at the course material and exams it was rather boring/ focussed on passing the exam more than anything else...
I was terrible at French :s-smilie: Just managed to scrape an A at AS then dropped it! Kinda wish I had kept it up since it would probably be useful, but I didn't have the space in my timetable and it would have been a lot of work :frown:
There's not at much Chemistry in Cells as I hoped, but luckily Chemistry is still awesome :biggrin:
I'm sure you've got a good chance of getting in :smile: Don't you do like a ridiculous number of subjects with really great grades in everything?!
Yep, Chemistry FTW :tongue:
Original post by gungnir
Just received an offer from Newnham for medicine! So excited - absolutely loved the college and the staff there at the Open Days and Interview.

Is it too early for me to drill you about which accommodation is best to apply to and whether first years get a choice or it is just the ballot?

Sorry, I'm just so happy!
(Gap year student so I have much time on my hands with which to obsess about nenwham and cambridge)

Congratulations!! :smile:

It's never too early :wink: First year accommodation is done based on a random ballot, so unfortunately you don't get to choose (unless, of course, you have medical reasons). Most freshers used to end up in Strachey, but they changed the system this year, so there are freshers in all of the buildings, which I guess will be the same for your year as well. Everyone seems to be happy with their rooms, though, and there's always a 'tradeoff', so for example my room doesn't have a sink and our kitchen only has one fridge, but the room is fairly big with a nice view and some beautiful old furniture, whereas one of my friends has a sink and two huge fridges, but her room is quite small compared to mine. There aren't really any bad rooms, and you get to choose from second year on, so overall I think it's a good system :smile:

I was also a gap-year applicant and started obsessing about Cambridge in January, so completely know the feeling. Feel free to ask if you have any more questions :smile:
Original post by abbie.coombs
Just got my offer from Queens' College to study Law!

Hey, may I ask you if you ve got a letter or an email? Thanks
Reply 196
Over the Moon! :biggrin:
Offer for Medicine at Christ's came through this morning, couldn't believe it!
Any Christ's medics on here?
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by TheBigGeek
I've got a bionatsci offer too, but at Christ's. Which modules are you thinking of taking? It's so exciting to talk about this! :smile:

Ahhh congratulations! :h: This is so exciting and crazy :biggrin: I'm looking at biology of cells, chemistry and physiology of organisms with either mathematical biology or mathematics A... although materials science also looks really good... decisions! :cool: How about you? This is amazing to actually be able to think about it haha :h:
(edited 10 years ago)
Yeah, luckily I had a really great teacher for Biology AS so I quite enjoyed it then - however if you looked just at the course material and exams it was rather boring/ focussed on passing the exam more than anything else...
I was terrible at French :s-smilie: Just managed to scrape an A at AS then dropped it! Kinda wish I had kept it up since it would probably be useful, but I didn't have the space in my timetable and it would have been a lot of work :frown:
There's not at much Chemistry in Cells as I hoped, but luckily Chemistry is still awesome :biggrin:
I'm sure you've got a good chance of getting in :smile: Don't you do like a ridiculous number of subjects with really great grades in everything?!
Yep, Chemistry FTW :tongue:

Yeah, it is! Biology is just dull, they should make an a level in biochemistry :moon:

I want to do a year abroad (or some time abroad) which is the one setback of Cambridge because it's not set in concrete. So French is very useful! I'm sure your still good.

:nah: I've dropped down to a total of 5 A2s! :biggrin: and some ASs... And my history AS remark went down to 156/200 :lolwut:
Reply 199
Original post by Bumble333
Unconditional at St johns for medicine !!!!!

Congratulations!!!! may I ask did the offer come by letter or email? And are u a home applicant?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending