The Student Room Group

AS AQA Mathematics Mechanics 1 MPM1 16 June 2014

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Can someone explain to me the F=uR equation in terms of when it's < or =< or = or > or >=

???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Can someone explain to me the F=uR equation in terms of when it's < or =< or = or > or >=

???

Posted from TSR Mobile

It's F=uR in motion or just about to move off (limiting equilibrium) or when it is equilibrium or not moving it is F=< uR

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by TLHroolz
It's F=uR in motion or just about to move off (limiting equilibrium) or when it is equilibrium or not moving it is F=< uR

Posted from TSR Mobile

Cheers! So it's only F=uR when moving. In all other cases it's =<
?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Cheers! So it's only F=uR when moving. In all other cases it's =<
?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, and it makes sense. The frictional force could be anything just up to the point of it moving when it isn't moving, so it will be equal to and anywhere up to the equal to... make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 84
Original post by TLHroolz
Yeah, and it makes sense. The frictional force could be anything just up to the point of it moving when it isn't moving, so it will be equal to and anywhere up to the equal to... make sense?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep! Thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I seem to be struggling which way the arrows go, how are you meant to know like in this question:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402136563.525473.jpg

How are you meant to know for the horizontal the arrow is right or left, and for vertical if it is up or down in order to solve for components??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Today I'm just going over theory. I cant just do questions like core maths cos i seem to always get Ds.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
Original post by Jimmy20002012
I seem to be struggling which way the arrows go, how are you meant to know like in this question:

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402136563.525473.jpg

How are you meant to know for the horizontal the arrow is right or left, and for vertical if it is up or down in order to solve for components??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Think of the arrows as being on an axis. If it's pointing in the direction you've shown as an example, it's going to be in the top right quadrant of the axis, in which case the vertical points up and the horizontal points to the right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by WesterosWildling
Today I'm just going over theory. I cant just do questions like core maths cos i seem to always get Ds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's sensible. The theory is the hardest bit for some people so getting your head round it will help!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Think of the arrows as being on an axis. If it's pointing in the direction you've shown as an example, it's going to be in the top right quadrant of the axis, in which case the vertical points up and the horizontal points to the right :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't seem to get what you mean by it being in the top quadrant of the axis?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
I don't seem to get what you mean by it being in the top quadrant of the axis?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ignoring the numbers, this is what I mean. The arrow you showed if you picture it from the origin it points in the north easy direction (the top right quadrant). This means if you look below, the x axis points to the right and the y axis points upwards in this quadrant.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402137608.378655.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Ignoring the numbers, this is what I mean. The arrow you showed if you picture it from the origin it points in the north easy direction (the top right quadrant). This means if you look below, the x axis points to the right and the y axis points upwards in this quadrant.

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1402137608.378655.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Okay I sort of get it, what about a inclined plane, Mg going downwards, which way would sin and cos being going now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Okay I sort of get it, what about a inclined plane, Mg going downwards, which way would sin and cos being going now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

1) mg acts downwards
2) mg cos theta acts perpendicular to the slope
3) mg sin theta acts parallel to the slope

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am taking this exam too. I am ****ting bricks. I sort of everything now. I am yet to master Connected Particles.
Reply 94
Original post by RoughWritings
I am taking this exam too. I am ****ting bricks. I sort of everything now. I am yet to master Connected Particles.

I've got physics on Monday so I've been devoting time to that - hope that doesn't backfire!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I am soo ready for this exam. Did a june 09 paper today and got 58/75. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 96
Original post by toonervoustotalk
I am soo ready for this exam. Did a june 09 paper today and got 58/75. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well done :smile: what did you drop marks on :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by CD223
Well done :smile: what did you drop marks on :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

most of the marks i lost were on silly mistakes and i lost a few on resolving vectors. it was a 5 marker that i couldn't do.
Reply 98
Original post by toonervoustotalk
most of the marks i lost were on silly mistakes and i lost a few on resolving vectors. it was a 5 marker that i couldn't do.

It seems to always be a large mark question that is the hardest which isn't really fair because grade boundaries might mean you skip a grade because of one sub question :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Projectiles are a killer, one mistake at the start of the question and you will lose around 10-12 marks

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending