The Student Room Group

Which is harder to get into - Medicine or Oxbridge?

Poll

Which is harder to get an offer for - Medicine or Oxbridge?

Hey,

As the title says, which one is harder to receive an offer for? Both involve a demanding interview process (minus Southampton until this UCAS cycle) with far more highly qualified candidates than places available.

In my opinion it of course varies from subject to subject at Oxbridge with some subjects being far easier to get into than others, but I do think Medicine is harder to get into. I am probably biased though as I am a medic and was rejected by Cambridge. However, it seems Oxbridge are far more willing to give you a chance provided you show promise whether with Medicine it is very cut-throat, and tiny errors can lead to a rejection - a couple of dropped marks on the BMAT massively changes a score for example.

So what do you think, and why?

Muppet Science

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
It's a stupid question really because there isn't an answer. Like you say, highly completive courses at Oxbridge are much harder to get into than the less competitive courses. Therefore some courses at Oxbridge will be harder to get into than medicine and others will be easier.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
The same is true for pretty much any subject with an admissions test at Oxford. Five marks difference on the MAT/PAT could be the difference between an offer and rejection. Overall, it's probably easier to get into medicine on account of the fact you get to apply to four universities, whereas you've only got one shot to get into Oxford or Cambridge per cycle.
Reply 3
I'd argue Oxbridge

inb4 medicine at oxbridge
Reply 4
Medicine is much harder , since you need top grades - practically everywhere. Whereas , there are some courses which are easier , to get into at Oxford.
Original post by Occams Chainsaw
I'd argue Oxbridge

Damn you. I have to say that Medicine at Oxbridge seems like a bit of a lottery though.
I'd argue Oxbridge

Really? I'd have said Medicine (all that volunteering and experience :lol:)
Reply 7
Original post by L'Evil Fish
Really? I'd have said Medicine (all that volunteering and experience :lol:)

that's easy. i've done that and i'm not even a medic :dontknow:

People who do it 'just for the course' will say different though
Reply 8
Original post by TSR Mustafa
Medicine is much harder , since you need top grades - practically everywhere. Whereas , there are some courses which are easier , to get into at Oxford.

You need AAA + for every course I know of at Oxbridge :erm:
that's easy. i've done that and i'm not even a medic :dontknow:

People who do it 'just for the course' will say different though

That's you :lol:

If you think med is less competitive than Oxbridge, how come you're letting me think Cambridge will be easier when I said med was too competitive:tongue:

Or are they not the same thing?
Original post by Muppet Science
Hey,

As the title says, which one is harder to receive an offer for? Both involve a demanding interview process (minus Southampton until this UCAS cycle) with far more highly qualified candidates than places available.

In my opinion it of course varies from subject to subject at Oxbridge with some subjects being far easier to get into than others, but I do think Medicine is harder to get into. I am probably biased though as I am a medic and was rejected by Cambridge. However, it seems Oxbridge are far more willing to give you a chance provided you show promise whether with Medicine it is very cut-throat, and tiny errors can lead to a rejection - a couple of dropped marks on the BMAT massively changes a score for example.

So what do you think, and why?

Muppet Science

Medicine is easier because you get 4 shots at it per cycle, whereas you only get one at Oxbridge. Medicine is probably one of the harder courses to get into at Oxbridge, but by no means is it the clear hardest. There are some other pretty competitive too!

(And Edinburgh don't interview for medicine as well)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Both medicine and Oxbridge are highly competitive and have stringent application processes at the end of the day. People with amazing grades get rejected from both. They're just as hard as each other IMO, however you can apply for Medicine at several places, whereas for Oxbridge you only get one chance.

I'd argue Oxbridge

Aww damnit.
You need AAA + for every course I know of at Oxbridge :erm:

My brother got AAB , in he's AS . He was offered a place at Oxford.
History/? Joint honours.
Reply 13
Original post by L'Evil Fish
That's you :lol:

If you think med is less competitive than Oxbridge, how come you're letting me think Cambridge will be easier when I said med was too competitive:tongue:

Or are they not the same thing?

I don't think it'll be easier :erm: I think you'd have a much better chance of medicine if you get off your ass and volunteer. :tongue:
Reply 14
History/? Joint honours.

Not all schools cash in AS grades, so he may not have had to declare his AS grades. Secondly, if his predicted grades were AAA+ his one B would have less of an effect. There's also the entire point that Oxford mostly give offers out on the basis of interview and HAT performance.
Reply 15
Maths at trinity, yeah medicine's easy
Well, medicine is hard to get into but you don't need perfect grades. Oxbridge want perfect grades regardless of the subject.

Interviews wise - you will have to know a lot more about your subject at Oxbridge than at a Medicine interview.

You get 4 medicine options but only 1 shot at Oxbridge.

I would say Oxbridge, and that's coming from a Medicine applicant
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 17
History/? Joint honours.

Original post by Noble.
Not all schools cash in AS grades, so he may not have had to declare his AS grades. Secondly, if his predicted grades were AAA+ his one B would have less of an effect. There's also the entire point that Oxford mostly give offers out on the basis of interview and HAT performance.

This is what I would of written and more :smile:
Original post by Noble.

I know , but what's your point? (Not in a rude way)
I don't think it'll be easier :erm: I think you'd have a much better chance of medicine if you get off your ass and volunteer. :tongue:

:rofl:

Ain't nobody got time for that :colone:

Well I want to do what we talked about yesterday, it sounds like a plan!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending