The Student Room Group

I'm so stuck on what A-Levels to choose! Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by alice.babee
Hi :smile:

As a scientist (going to study dentistry) I am definitely biased! I loved Biology at A Level, but yes, it did get a tad boring at A2. That was only because I had absolutely no interest in muscles or how they worked, so I found this v tedious, whereas my friend who wanted to study physiotherapy at the time absolutely LOVED it. But I would definitely recommend it - it is a valuable A Level to have. I also took Chemistry, and at the time I absolutely haaaaated it, but looking back it was quite interesting at some points. So I would say Biology and Chemistry :smile: they open a lot of doors for you as they are regarded as extremely difficult A Levels.

I would have loved to study Psychology, I think it's sooo interesting! So I think that would be a good choice - some stuff covered in Biology and Chemistry also overlaps (had a friend who studied those three) and she was always saying how they'd covered it in Psychology, but that Biology really helped her understand it more.

As for a fourth.. pick something you enjoy :smile: if your passion is photography - go for it! For me it was Music.. although I wouldn't say it was easy it was definitely a lot more relaxing than working out equations!

So thats Biology, Chemistry, Psychology and Photography :smile: they will open up a lot of doors for you and you have quite a wide scope as to what you can apply for! I'd recommend you get work experience now - it will help you decide what you want to do in the future :smile: also, don't feel pressured into applying to university! You can always take a gap year and reapply later once you're sure. There is also the possibility of apprenticeships :smile:

I hope this helps! Good luck :smile:

Thanks so much for the information! It's really helpful. I'm lookign into computer coding though, and you NEED maths, so I'd have to sub one subject for it. I'm hoefully getting a scholarship too (American football), so for entry, it doesn't matter too much about what subject I pick. All that I know is that I love Maths, Philosophy and Psychology sounds really good! I would just take Photography to chill out and take a break. I'm thinking of doing Maths, Biology or Chemistry, Psychology and either Philosophy or photography. What would you advise out of my options? :smile:

You're really helpful, thank you! :smile:
Original post by NathanBignold
Thanks so much for the information! It's really helpful. I'm lookign into computer coding though, and you NEED maths, so I'd have to sub one subject for it. I'm hoefully getting a scholarship too (American football), so for entry, it doesn't matter too much about what subject I pick. All that I know is that I love Maths, Philosophy and Psychology sounds really good! I would just take Photography to chill out and take a break. I'm thinking of doing Maths, Biology or Chemistry, Psychology and either Philosophy or photography. What would you advise out of my options? :smile:

You're really helpful, thank you! :smile:

Hmm.. I have a particular aversion to maths hence why I wasn't rooting for it haha :') but if you love it then go ahead! My boyfriend took Chemistry, Biology and Maths (at A2, he did English and dropped it after AS) and he did well - a LOT of hard work is needed though! But out of your options I would be tempted to say Maths, Biology, Psychology and Photography. An idea would also to be to talk to your teachers and see which ones they think you'd do best in :smile: your school will also let you swap subjects (hopefully! mine did) a couple of weeks in if you suddenly decide that you really want to do a different subject or something :smile:

Ah no problem, you're welcome :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Tarquin Digby
Don't do psychology or photography.. they're not proper A levels. The other four are fine.

Why isn't Psychology a 'proper' A-Level? It's band 3 on the Russell groups list of subjects (out of 4 bands)? (I don't mean this in a nasty way or anything xD)
Reply 23
Original post by alice.babee
Hmm.. I have a particular aversion to maths hence why I wasn't rooting for it haha :') but if you love it then go ahead! My boyfriend took Chemistry, Biology and Maths (at A2, he did English and dropped it after AS) and he did well - a LOT of hard work is needed though! But out of your options I would be tempted to say Maths, Biology, Psychology and Photography. An idea would also to be to talk to your teachers and see which ones they think you'd do best in :smile: your school will also let you swap subjects (hopefully! mine did) a couple of weeks in if you suddenly decide that you really want to do a different subject or something :smile:

Ah no problem, you're welcome :smile:

Yeah, thank you!

So would you say that Chemistry isn't as interesting as Biology then? :smile:
Yeah, thank you!

So would you say that Chemistry isn't as interesting as Biology then? :smile:

Definitely - I found Biology soooo interesting! Whereas Chemistry was a lot of equations and even the most maths-y in my class found it a bit dull I think. I would definitely pick Biology :smile: it's a lot to remember but if you're genuinely interested you'll have no problem!
So I've thought it through so much and I don't really know what I want to do when I'm older or what to study at Uni. I'm most likely going to achieve an American football scholarship to an American Division 1 University. This means that my grades do not to be as good as they would if I was to just apply for the uni. But this doesn't mean that I'm not going to try my hardest at all times!

I love programming (Computer science) and I've thought about going into dentistry. I'm grade 'A' in everything I do apart from Maths (B) and Geograpghy (B). But I'm predicted an 'A' in everything and I think I'll achieve that.

Due to these factors I just want to study what I like doing/ am interested in doing for A-level. These are the six options I've limited it to:

-Maths
-Biology (heard it's really boring at A2?)
-Chemistry
-Philosophy
-Psychology
-Photography

Due to intense training for American football, I do not want to over work and would only really like to do 2 'core' A-levels out of the three I have listed.

I know this is long, but I'm really stressed out right now as I have to hand in my options really soon (I'm in year 11) Thank you! :smile:

Sorry to make your decision harder but I'd disagree with what some people are saying :tongue:

I find Chemistry a lot more interesting and really the equations aren't that bad. I'd say look at what the contents are in each of the courses (chem and biology) and decide for yourself - everyone is different so what one may enjoy others may not.

Maths is pretty easy at AS and a good subject to take for computer science (if you were to continue down that root).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 26
Really, is biology not boring at all? I really hate regurgitating information, this is why I'm intrigued to know, as I've heard this is all you pretty much do in it haha. Although I love my history GCSE, I hate the fact that all we do is regurgitate facts and not apply it to much at all. This is why I'm worried about biology, especially the year 13 syllabus, isn't it really dull?

Thank you! :smile:

I personally don't find biology boring, but maybe that's because I want to do Medicine! I'm only in year 12 so cannot comment on the year 13 syllabus, but in year 12 we do immunology, circulation, biochemistry which I really like. And you do get the chance to apply it, there are assessed practicals!
Reply 27
Original post by k4l397
Sorry to make your decision harder but I'd disagree with what some people are saying :tongue:

I find Chemistry a lot more interesting and really the equations aren't that bad. I'd say look at what the contents are in each of the courses (chem and biology) and decide for yourself - everyone is different so what one may enjoy others may not.

Maths is pretty easy at AS and a good subject to take for computer science (if you were to continue down that root).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahh ok, cheers dude. I've chosen my options and handing them in tomorrow. I've picked: Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Photography. I don't really care if people say it's not a 'proper' A-Level, I need it to relax my mind from chem and maths. I think I've picked the best options for me and my American football. Philosophy's my reserve as there may not be enough people to do it in our school.
Reply 28
Original post by slothgal
I personally don't find biology boring, but maybe that's because I want to do Medicine! I'm only in year 12 so cannot comment on the year 13 syllabus, but in year 12 we do immunology, circulation, biochemistry which I really like. And you do get the chance to apply it, there are assessed practicals!

Ahh ok, thank you. Due to the way that my mind works, I was told not to take it, as I would proably get bored and not enjoy it. My teachers and family all said I'd be better off doing chemistry, so I've chosen that; along with maths, psychology and photography. (Philosophy as my reserve.)
Reply 29
Original post by TrishH
Maths is fairly easy at AS and Chemistry/Biology are also really good.
I do psychology and its so interesting to learn about the studies and things! :smile:

Thank you for the info! I'm handing my options in tomorrow and have decided on the following: Maths, Chemistry, Psychology and Photogrpahy. :smile:
Yeah, I've heard chem's really tough. I'm near an A in maths now and not even half way through year11, do I'm sure I can get an A by the end of my GCSE's. Would you class this as "semi-decent"? :smile:

Thank you!

I just scraped an A in maths at GCSE and am doing it at A-Level, I got a C in AS but perhaps a B after a resit? I worked hard so I don't know if a C is good compared to what I got at GCSE but I just thought I would tell you so you know how much harder A levels are.
Reply 31
Original post by RSmith1007
I just scraped an A in maths at GCSE and am doing it at A-Level, I got a C in AS but perhaps a B after a resit? I worked hard so I don't know if a C is good compared to what I got at GCSE but I just thought I would tell you so you know how much harder A levels are.

Yeah, I've been told alot about the step-up. I'd be over the moon with a B at A-Level AS, honestly haha. Don't compare it to GCSE's either, you've mentioned the huge step-up, so no wonder your grade at AS is lower. Just keep trying and get that be, then you can say you've done very good in both A-Level and GCSE. :smile: Good luck!

Thank you for the info, I'm ready for the challenge! :smile:
Reply 32
That's awesome information, I'm glad for you and your partner too! :smile: Thank you for the compliment aswell haha.

Did you start coding in your A-Levels? Because I've heard that GCSE and A-Level computer studies is really f-ing boring if you already know how to code decently, is this true? Because I don't want to re-learn what I already know how to do, that's pointless.

I'm thinking: Maths, Chemistry, Philosophy and (Psychology, only because I really want to learn about the brain and why we do what we do.) Although your description has put me off a bit haha (don't feel guilty) I'll just have a look at the syllabus :smile:.

Thank you! :smile:

Hi Nathan,
During my A-levels they taught some visual basic. In my eyes, the level of coding is not very high, but it will help to understand some basic concepts. However, when you get to University, if you study a computer science degree they will teach you from scratch (as not everyone has). They do however teach you other things in computing at A-Level which are useful. If you may be interested in coding, I would recommend it, even if you have some experience outside of college/6th form. The reason being that most who teach themselves to code follow a lot of bad practises, which when they get into industry cause them a world of pain. Also, when you are applying to University, having the A Level there, even if you found it a little easier will be more useful than not.

I do thing that photography is a passion you can maybe follow later on, and still feel if you take it now that you may close some doors rather than open them. Psychology I would think is more OK, but still, at least one or two of the not social sciences would be better.
Reply 33
Original post by RSmith1007

I don't know if you are on the same exam board, but after you have done the later core modules for your A Level in maths, resitting the first parts for the AS exams seems really easy. I went from something like a C to a grade A by resitting a couple of exams.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest