The Student Room Group

Choosing A-Levels - Chemistry or Mathematics?

I know it isn't recommended to take 5 A-Levels - I don't think my school's Sixth Form even allows it - I'm not planning to anyway. However, I am stuck with what to choose for my 4 options. I'm certain about taking my most confident subjects: Biology and Psychology (which normally would also require Mathematics, unless you have 4 other options). For a while, I thought I would take Chemistry and Mathematics, but after finding out that the Mathematics isn't compulsory, I decided I would take German instead of it. I don't know whether to choose Chemistry or Mathematics as my 4th option. I am fairly confident in both subjects, although I feel like I may score higher in Mathematics. For additional context, I plan to complete a degree in science (Psychology).

Summary:
Psychology, Biology, German, Chemistry
or
Psychology, Biology, German, Mathematics

Please let me know your thoughts.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by NessHorvath
I know it isn't recommended to take 5 A-Levels - I don't think my school's Sixth Form even allows it - I'm not planning to anyway. However, I am stuck with what to choose for my 4 options. I'm certain about taking my most confident subjects: Biology and Psychology (which normally would also require Mathematics, unless you have 4 other options). For a while, I thought I would take Chemistry and Mathematics, but after finding out that the Mathematics isn't compulsory, I decided I would take German instead of it. I don't know whether to choose Chemistry or Mathematics as my 4th option. I am fairly confident in both subjects, although I feel like I may score higher in Mathematics. For additional context, I plan to complete a degree in science (Psychology).

Summary:
or

Personally, I'd go with maths since it's fundamental in most courses. Also, if you think you'd do better in maths, I'd go for it.
(edited 6 months ago)
Original post by NessHorvath

Summary:
or

Hiya,
If you are planning to study Psychology at university, then you already have a good selection of subjects picked out. A large proportion of A-levels will be independent study, so make sure to choose a subject you will enjoy and therefore will be able to put effort into. Look at the curriculum to see which topics appeal to you the most. If still undecided, speak to the relevant school staff about taking 5 A-levels for the first couple of weeks at the condition that you will drop one - for example I was allowed to take 5 A-levels, and then dropped one after finishing the first term of Y12. Additionally, you might try speaking to your head teacher or academic advisor for advice. It's also important to consider if you might like to do any other degrees, and their requirements.
Overall, both subjects give you great options, so I would recommend deciding based on what interests you the most as that will help you persevere and do well at it!

Good luck with making the decision!

Polina (LU Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest