The Student Room Group

Is graphic calculator necessary for Maths (A-Level)

Firstly, I don't do Stats (I do mechanics) so I believe a calculator is only needed in Core Maths.
I can get a graphic calculator (which is strongly recommended by teachers) for £50, Casio FX-9750GII: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71209Zl03BL._SL1372_.jpg

Or I can get a more advanced scientific one for £17, a Casio FX-991ES PLUS: http://i4.sdlcdn.com/img/product/main/FX_991ES-PLUS_M_1_2x.jpg

I've heard lots of mixed things about whether a graphical one is needed and I don't want to be splashing out £50 if it won't even help too much so wanted to gather a general opinion round here...

Scroll to see replies

I'm pretty sure graphical calculators are banned from being used by some exam boards. What exam board are you doing maths with?
Don't get a graphical calculator. Being able to sketch graphs is a very important skill which is lost if you rely on a graphical calculator. The normal ones are also cheaper. But I didn't know you could find definite integrals on scientific calculators nowadays! :O
(edited 10 years ago)
Edexcel exam boards bans them, and I've never used one. so the answer is almost certainly no.
Original post by andrew2209
Edexcel exam boards bans them, and I've never used one. so the answer is almost certainly no.

Where it says graphical calculators are banned?
I second that notion StrangeBanana.

Ohh I was wrong, here is what is said on the front of the Edexcel maths papers:

Candidates may use any calculator allowed by the regulations of the Joint
Council for Qualifications. Calculators must not have the facility for symbolic
algebra manipulation or symbolic differentiation/integration, or have
retrievable mathematical formulae stored in them.
Original post by hassassin04
Where it says graphical calculators are banned?

It says on the front of papers that calculators with the ability to draw graphs are illegal, or words to that effect.
Reply 7
Original post by bettsbubbles
I'm pretty sure graphical calculators are banned from being used by some exam boards. What exam board are you doing maths with?

AQA and I'm sure that they're allowed as we were recommended them by our teachers. It's just a matter of whether one will improve my grades...
It says on the front of papers that calculators with the ability to draw graphs are illegal, or words to that effect.

No, it simply says the ones that have "the facility for symbolic algebra manipulation or symbolic differentiation/integration, or have retrievable mathematical formulae stored in them. ".
Original post by ImNormal
AQA and I'm sure that they're allowed as we were recommended them by our teachers. It's just a matter of whether one will improve my grades...

If I were you I would just learn how to sketch graphs. Being able to quickly draw a graph from experience is much faster than having to type in the graph into your calculator every time you need to draw one.

It's a very useful skill that you will use in every Core maths module!
Original post by bettsbubbles

This isn't true for most models but they are completely unnecessary.
Original post by ImNormal
Firstly, I don't do Stats (I do mechanics) so I believe a calculator is only needed in Core Maths.
I can get a graphic calculator (which is strongly recommended by teachers) for £50, Casio FX-9750GII: http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71209Zl03BL._SL1372_.jpg

Or I can get a more advanced scientific one for £17, a Casio FX-991ES PLUS: http://i4.sdlcdn.com/img/product/main/FX_991ES-PLUS_M_1_2x.jpg

I've heard lots of mixed things about whether a graphical one is needed and I don't want to be splashing out £50 if it won't even help too much so wanted to gather a general opinion round here...

Your teachers are giving you poor advice. The Casio FX-991ES is a great calculator. Buy it and cherish it.

It says no such thing but they are still a waste of money.
I DONT THINK ID LIVE WITHOUT MY GRAPHICAL CALC.

Seriously did not appreciate how useful it is til recently. Like C3 and linear interpolation (soo much quicker)

Sketching graphs and checking roots are correct. The list goes on.

Luckily our school lends them- is there any chance your school could invest so students can borrow them?

If not eBay it :smile:

But yeah, seriously recommend it :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have a graphical but will also probably get the more advanced scientific calculator soon aswell, alot of the uses of the graphical can be found on the FX-991ES so just depends how much money you want to spend. Over reliance isnt an issue for me, i only use my calculator for checking my answers since you get marks out of workings in alot of questions.
I would not say they are necessary, but it will be a lie to say that they won't help at all.
Not so much with graphs but I had Texas TI-84 PLUS Silver Edition and it had all distributions needed for stats which was quite helpful. You could also solve projectile problems if you know how to model them parametrically ( I did not bother though).
Also for FP2 it might save lots of time if you are asked to draw a curve given in polar form that you don't remember
Reply 16
I see the argument of being too reliable on the graphical, but in my opinion and past experience, if you know how to draw graphs and factorise properly, then the standard scientific one should suffice.

But then again, I find having the piece of mind when checking your working out invaluable.
At then end of the day, it's preference.
See how long you can go without one, and if needs be before June? By the graphical :smile: Good Luck!
Well my school has a box of graphical calculators that have never been used :tongue: because it's a new sixth form I think it was just one of many things to use left over budget on :tongue:

It's honestly not worth paying that much when you could just learn graph drawing skills yourself and probably become better off for it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by k4l397
Well my school has a box of graphical calculators that have never been used

So does every other school/college.
Reply 19
Original post by Mr M
So does every other school/college.

not true - my college's maths department scares people into buying 70 quid worth calculators, then at the end of the yar badgers them into giving them as a ''thank you'' !

Quick Reply

Latest