The Student Room Group

Labour immigration conditions in Middle East worse than in Europe?

I have heard that several countries in the Middle East guarantee no social security towards immigrants, especially those coming to work from other Asian countries.

Suppressed religious freedom, ethnically biased justice system, decaying work conditions, racism and discrimination overall... as far as I heard, in the past 2-3 decades they treat[ed] their guests much worse than how we treat them when they come to Europe.

I have also heard a number of macabre stories about Oman and Saudi Arabia...

Truth or urban legend?

Any articles or websites dealing more with this issue? Or has censorship done its duty...?
Reply 1
TheEntertainer
I have heard that several countries in the Middle East guarantee no social security towards immigrants, especially those coming to work from other Asian countries.

Suppressed religious freedom, ethnically biased justice system, decaying work conditions, racism and discrimination overall... as far as I heard, in the past 2-3 decades they treat[ed] their guests much worse than how we treat them when they come to Europe.

I have also heard a number of macabre stories about Oman and Saudi Arabia...

Truth or urban legend?

Any articles or websites dealing more with this issue? Or has censorship done its duty...?

To the best of my knowledge, there is no social security system for immigrants. I don't think religious freedom is actively suppressed (except in Saudi). I don't think the justice system is ethnically (perhaps religiously) biased in theory.

What do you mean by decaying work conditions? There is a degree of racism (not necessarily state-sponsored). How you're treated depends largely on how much you earn and your job. There was a letter in the paper yesterday from someone complaining about petty discrimination (being ignored) - sorry no link.

For macabre stories about Saudi Arabia; search through the archives.

By the way the Middle East is a very large area.
I read that.

Quite impressive.

What I wonder about generally is:
while in Italy, EU, USA, etc. there are so many organizations, associations or activist movements against racism & discrimination, is there anything similar in the Middle East (whatever corner of the area)?

Or is there absolutely no protection for foreigners there?

By the way, I found these...
http://www.gvnet.com/humantrafficking/UnitedArabEmirates.htm
http://www.antislavery.org/archive/submission/submission2001-UAE.htm

http://www.state.gov/g/drl/rls/hrrpt/2005/61701.htm
(Section 5)
Reply 3
The unskilled labourers are treated like dirt, the skilled are looked after. Natives have more rights than both. There are probably members on this forum who admire such a system.
This is not my opinion, but: many Europeans wouldn't be happy if they knew more about how the people they allow to immigrate treat immigrants in their own countries...
Reply 5
Only if people are stupid enough to blame the average immigrant for the actions of their home government. Not to mention that if someone is leaving a country, it's often a good sign that they prefer somewhere else.
I know ^^ (Just forecasted what extreme right minded people might say)
Reply 7
Labour immigration conditions in Middle East worse than in Europe?
Am I reading too much into this are are you supprised? :confused:
Reply 8
I thought pretty much everything in the ME was worse than Europe? Except maybe the Halal butchers? :biggrin:
Reply 9
The churches certainly are. :wink:
Reply 10
Lawz-
I thought pretty much everything in the ME was worse than Europe? Except maybe the Halal butchers? :biggrin:

Ironically, water is cheaper
Reply 11
Apagg
Ironically, water is cheaper

But the cocktails you put that water into are pretty expensive no?
Reply 12
I'm afraid I don't know, I wasn't old enough to drink alcohol whilst I was there. Another amusing fact, for the country I was in - they apparently import sand from the UK. Crazy world.
Apagg
I'm afraid I don't know, I wasn't old enough to drink alcohol whilst I was there. Another amusing fact, for the country I was in - they apparently import sand from the UK. Crazy world.

HEY!

That's good sand.

:p:
Reply 14
That's actually a big problem for the reconstruction of Iraq, nobody thought to check beforehand, but the sand in most of Iraq is useless in cement - hense the huge importation of it.

Latest

Trending

Trending