The Student Room Group

A generation obsessed with reality TV: the famewhores.

The rise in popularity of reality TV has coincided with the rise of obsession of the people who inhabit these shows. Clueless to the misdemeanour crimes that these reality stars are committing on the mentality of society, these idiotic hordes are showcasing talentless abilities, which has led to the devaluation of the celebrity status and bluntly, has resulted in dumb and repulsive people displaying their dumb and repulsive ways to millions of people who just eat it up like it's a free 10-course meal at McDonalds.

Why do we put people on such pedestals? What have these people done that have made them worthy of attention? Have they written an educational book, or saved a group of people? No. In reality, they have done nothing but use their money, looks and 'power' to make them desirable, famous and idolised (somebody came up to me today and told me that Kim Kardashian is her role model :confused:). They haven't earned the respect of the masses who seem to throw themselves at their feet. They offer nothing to us; they have no wisdom, no vision. They're nothing but facades behind fake faces and corny cliches. The term "celebrity" used to hold some merit. There would be someone who would be so talented in a particular area of expertise and have a charismatic persona that would make them irresistibly adorable and respectable. Now, whilst this still is true in some regards (shout out to the Leo DiCaprios of the world :rolleyes:), reality TV has propelled undeserving and appalling people to the same lofty level that certified stars occupy, making the term "celebrity" ever so ambiguous. Think of Kim Kardashian, she's a celebrity for releasing a sex tape. Why has that made her so appealing to some people and idol worthy? Then there's the people of Jersey Shore and so on. These orange, greasy, empty-headed specimens who have become famous for partying at clubs every night and GDLing every day are now strolling down red carpets, bumping into the Leo DiCaprios of the world, thanks to the people who have obsessively watched their insane escapades. They might as well be the Leo DiCrapios of the world.
Why is it that people saying or doing dumb things is deemed valuable enough to be broadasted to a mass audience? They're 'celebrities' because they are willing to be the most ridiculous, the most embarrassing and the most stupid enough to cause the most drama and controversy, but was it the appeal of and fascination with these (generally) dim-witted members of society who have somehow persuaded a camera to follow them around in all their glory?

Headlined by fabulosity, red carpet photos and obnoxious, ego-centric social media statuses, which splash society's interest like a stampede, these people seem to be encouraging outrageous behaviour and in turn, have fooled some people into believing that the way of life portrayed on TV is normal, and that if the average people who watch these shows act in a similar manner, they can themselves become famous and popular.

Jon Hamm, an admirable actor/director has even said himself that "we're at a place where the idea of being 'elite' is somehow considered a negative. Whether it's Paris Hilton or Kim Kardashian or whoever, stupidity is certainly celebrated. Being a ****ing idiot is a valuable commodity in this culture because you're rewarded significantly." But why is that? Rather than idolising these empty, artificial, fame-whoring people which many do, we should applaud and honour the unsung heroes who live their day trying to make the days of others better. They are the ones truly deserving our respect and admiration, not the clownish people who turn their lives into a drama show.

/rant.
(edited 10 years ago)
TL;DR

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple.
Reply 2
Original post by CJG21
TL;DR

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Simple.

I never said I did. I am questioning why others watch it, excluding entertainment purposes.
Mostly watched by women , just sayin.
Original post by euphrosyne
I never said I did. I am questioning why others watch it, excluding entertainment purposes.

Escapism? Maybe they want to get away from their 'crappy' life by indulging in how the other half life...

People can watch what they like as long as they don't try to shove it down my throat.
That's the curse of the modern day media and attitudes of society. Complete nobodies, who have done nothing of notable worth, are made into these powerful idols for no reason except they are good-looking or are rich etc.
Original post by Jaegon Targaryen

yepyepyep.

They suck.
Original post by Maid Marian
That's the curse of the modern day media and attitudes of society. Complete nobodies, who have done nothing of notable worth, are made into these powerful idols for no reason except they are good-looking or are rich etc.

This. I hate society nowadays :tongue:
Reply 8

I'd go as far as almost exclusively watched by women
Original post by CJG21
This. I hate society nowadays :tongue:

I think it's awful. :sadnod: Celebrities used to be people who were known for being exceptional in their field, or someone who's done something notably good/moral.
I think it's awful. :sadnod: Celebrities used to be people who were known for being exceptional in their field, or someone who's done something notably good/moral.

Everything has just got too superficial. And it just keeps getting worse and worse. I find it quite sad when I see 7 year olds on the street with make-up slapped on with handbags and designer clothes.

Ah well, there's not really much that can be done about it. The more comfortable living becomes for the masses, the less necessary the traditional important traits become.
Original post by euphrosyne

What? TV is meant to be entertainment :lolwut:
Original post by Chukkeigh
yepyepyep.

They suck.

Don't talk about your mum like that.
Don't talk about your mum like that.

But we are siblings?
Original post by CJG21
Everything has just got too superficial. And it just keeps getting worse and worse. I find it quite sad when I see 7 year olds on the street with make-up slapped on with handbags and designer clothes.

Ah well, there's not really much that can be done about it. The more comfortable living becomes for the masses, the less necessary the traditional important traits become.

Exactly. :sadnod: That's something else I've noticed: young kids these days, they basically wear the same clothes as adults - just in a smaller size! They wear mini leather jackets, mini skinny jeans, mini mini-skirts, mini handbags etc etc. When I was a kid, I just wore leggings (proper cotton leggings, not those tight black things of today's world) and t-shirts.

Mmhmm. It seems like tradition has been completely flung out of the window for modern day life. It saddens me. :frown:
tl;dr

If we're talking big brother style fame then I just ignore it.
Its a simple Supply/Demand argument really.

If no one watched it, there would be no reality TV, there's no point complaining about society in general its pointless.
Exactly. :sadnod: That's something else I've noticed: young kids these days, they basically wear the same clothes as adults - just in a smaller size! They wear mini leather jackets, mini skinny jeans, mini mini-skirts, mini handbags etc etc. When I was a kid, I just wore leggings (proper cotton leggings, not those tight black things of today's world) and t-shirts.

Mmhmm. It seems like tradition has been completely flung out of the window for modern day life. It saddens me. :frown:

Hear hear. PRSOM.
One of the things that upsets me that you didn't mention is the fact that real tv shows where real people do real work to make a piece of art (unlike these reality shows) are sacrificed because of the popularity of Jersey Shore, essex, etc.
Reply 19
Original post by VladThe1mpaler
One of the things that upsets me that you didn't mention is the fact that real tv shows where real people do real work to make a piece of art (unlike these reality shows) are sacrificed because of the popularity of Jersey Shore, essex, etc.

Exactly! Most of the time, these shows (and the 'actors' involved) get more coverage than the good tv!

Quick Reply

Latest