The Student Room Group

Mature student applying to Dalhousie. Need help/general advice

Hello all! I am new to this site so I apologize in advance for any posting errors.

So I guess my questions regarding applying are pretty general but I will go over a little bit about myself first since it seems relevant.

I am 24 years old from Edmonton, Alberta. I finished high school when I was 18 but go nowhere close to a diploma. for about 5 years I did security in Edmonton and for the last year I have been working at Bestbuy Geek Squad. Since September I have been enrolled at Norquest college. I am currently engaged and (pending acceptance) my fiance will be taking her Masters of Library and Information Studies at Dalhousie.

Current marks:
English 30-1-87% (Finished course)
Math 30-1-67% (Currently enrolled)
Social Studies 30-1-77% (Currently Enrolled)
Biology 20-78% (Currently Enrolled)

Once I finish this semester I will not be eligible for regular student application so I will be going in as a mature student applicant.

So I have a couple questions regarding the whole process.

1. A letter outlining life and work experience since your last period of full-time study. Be sure to clearly outline your educational goals and motivation to succeed at university study.

This part seems self explanatory but I am worried I may be missing something. Is there anything specific I should be aware of when writing this? My plan is to take computer sciences and become a software architect so should I be saying that in this part? Any hints and tips here would be appreciated.

2.You may also submit any other relevant documents. These could include results of any upgrading, SAT scores, etc. All factors will be considered in the admission decision.

What falls under the 'Etc' here? I have confirmed ADD and am listed as a disabled student through Norquest which I noticed is a question in the university application. Will this hurt or help my chances of getting in? I also have 2 recommendations from teachers so would that be included here? I have several professional references as well so would those be included in this package?

Essentially I am just generally worried about this application and any hints/tips/help/links would be greatly apprecatied. If I missed any information that is needed please let me know and I will get it you as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.
Reply 1
Original post by JesseMac
Hello all! I am new to this site so I apologize in advance for any posting errors.

So I guess my questions regarding applying are pretty general but I will go over a little bit about myself first since it seems relevant.

I am 24 years old from Edmonton, Alberta. I finished high school when I was 18 but go nowhere close to a diploma. for about 5 years I did security in Edmonton and for the last year I have been working at Bestbuy Geek Squad. Since September I have been enrolled at Norquest college. I am currently engaged and (pending acceptance) my fiance will be taking her Masters of Library and Information Studies at Dalhousie.

Current marks:
English 30-1-87% (Finished course)
Math 30-1-67% (Currently enrolled)
Social Studies 30-1-77% (Currently Enrolled)
Biology 20-78% (Currently Enrolled)

Once I finish this semester I will not be eligible for regular student application so I will be going in as a mature student applicant.

So I have a couple questions regarding the whole process.

1. A letter outlining life and work experience since your last period of full-time study. Be sure to clearly outline your educational goals and motivation to succeed at university study.

This part seems self explanatory but I am worried I may be missing something. Is there anything specific I should be aware of when writing this? My plan is to take computer sciences and become a software architect so should I be saying that in this part? Any hints and tips here would be appreciated.

2.You may also submit any other relevant documents. These could include results of any upgrading, SAT scores, etc. All factors will be considered in the admission decision.

What falls under the 'Etc' here? I have confirmed ADD and am listed as a disabled student through Norquest which I noticed is a question in the university application. Will this hurt or help my chances of getting in? I also have 2 recommendations from teachers so would that be included here? I have several professional references as well so would those be included in this package?

Essentially I am just generally worried about this application and any hints/tips/help/links would be greatly apprecatied. If I missed any information that is needed please let me know and I will get it you as quickly as possible.

Thanks in advance for your time and help.

Sounds like you want to look at this page about personal statements ---> http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/personal_statement_library

It will give you an idea of what they are looking for.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending