The Student Room Group

Russel Group Uni with Bad GCSEs ?

Hello, I am currently in Year 12 studying Mathematics, History and Politics. I’m planning to apply for a law degree for university’s such as UCL, KCL, Warwick, Manchester and UON although I attained pretty weak GCSEs :
Maths - 7
History - 7
Business - 7
English Literature - 7
English Language - 6
Combined Science - 6-5
French - 3
I would be highly appreciative if people could let me know what university’s there is no point in me applying for and if these could get me to the listed universities.
Original post by Idi akz
Hello, I am currently in Year 12 studying Mathematics, History and Politics. I’m planning to apply for a law degree for university’s such as UCL, KCL, Warwick, Manchester and UON although I attained pretty weak GCSEs :
Maths - 7
History - 7
Business - 7
English Literature - 7
English Language - 6
Combined Science - 6-5
French - 3
I would be highly appreciative if people could let me know what university’s there is no point in me applying for and if these could get me to the listed universities.

Don’t rely on guesses and hearsay. RING all 5 universities today and get an answer directly from them about what weight they place on GCSEs for law applications
Hi there,

I agree with PQ. The best thing to do is ring up the university or even better attend all the open days hosted by those universities and speak with all the lecturers and the students on those courses, who will give you more information about the entry requirements. On your open day, if the admissions team is available, speak to them too. Entry requirements vary between universities. Some are only concerned about your A-level grades whilst others are considered about your A-level and GCSE grades. It really depends.

Furthermore, it's great to aim high but I also recommend looking at universities with a lower entry requirement.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Narusha
Coventry University Student Ambassador
hi, your fine I had worse GCSE's and I am studying law at a russell group uni, my advice is don't stress out on these stuff just study and get good A level grades also big tip, if you want to get into law look at law firms they have schemes for year 12 students and if your an ethnic minoirty even better cus there is so many law firms that have schemes for that community. (UON accepted my btw with worse grades so did leeds and sheffield idk bout the rest)
The only GCSE requirements unis have for law is maths and English. The requirement is usually just for you to have passed, although for several unis such as UCL and Warwick they ask for grade 6 minimum. So long as you meet the requirements you are fine.

UCL used to require a 6 in a foreign language, though I can't see that anymore looking at their website, so that 3 in French shouldn't prevent you from applying.

Apart from Oxbridge, you can apply for any university. They are good GCSEs and will not stop you getting an offer. I got much worse grades (4 GCSEs grade 3 and under) and got 5 RG offers for law (including Manchester which was a non-contextual offer).

You could e-mails the unis as PQ said but all unis state their GCSE requirements on their website so their is no need to do that. Also, I e-mailed unis about my GCSEs which are actually bad and they really scared me off. Manchester told me they wanted grade 4 minimum and ideally look for all 8's and that almost scared me off applying for them lol.

Check if you are eligible for contextual offer for unis as well. Tbh your GCSE grades are fine and you don't need your app looking at in contextually, just general advice I give to everyone. I mean BBB contextual offer for UCL is insane!
(edited 6 months ago)
I didn’t suggest emailing and I didn’t talk about the standard entry requirements. I suggested phoning and talking to someone to understand the weight given in offer making to GCSE scores - that’s not asking about the requirements it’s asking about their selection criteria.

Different universities place different emphasis on different aspects of an application. Meeting the basic entry requirements isn’t always enough to be made an offer. Some universities will weight achieved grades at GCSE more or equal to predicted grades, others will go entirely off predictions and others will go on LNAT results.

For example Bristol (the only university that makes this information explicitly available to the public that I know of) weights GCSEs at 20% https://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2024/law.pdf however their entry requirements for the course state NO specific GCSE requirements at any grades at all. So low grades at GCSE wouldn’t result in an automatic rejection but would need strong A levels and LNAT to compensate for them.
(edited 6 months ago)
Hey,

I think you are being too hard on yourself imo. Your GCSE grades are adequate. You meet the GCSE requirements for all the stated unis, with the highest being grade 6 in english lang for UCL and Warwick.

I’m a mature student with mediocre GCSE grades and i mean mediocre lol. Nevertheless, I’ve secured offers from Manchester and Sheffield for Law.

Align your focus towards your personal statement and A-levels as opposed to GCSE grades bud.
Original post by Idi akz
Maths - 7
History - 7
Business - 7
English Literature - 7
English Language - 6
Combined Science - 6-5
French - 3
Reply 7
Original post by Deltabravo123
Hey,

I think you are being too hard on yourself imo. Your GCSE grades are adequate. You meet the GCSE requirements for all the stated unis, with the highest being grade 6 in english lang for UCL and Warwick.

I’m a mature student with mediocre GCSE grades and i mean mediocre lol. Nevertheless, I’ve secured offers from Manchester and Sheffield for Law.

Align your focus towards your personal statement and A-levels as opposed to GCSE grades bud.

Hey, I’m also applying to law this year and applying to Manchester. Could you please tell me your gsce results if possible please?
Original post by Idi akz
Maths - 7
History - 7
Business - 7
English Literature - 7
English Language - 6
Combined Science - 6-5
French - 3

Hi @Idi akz

The only requirement that some universities will have is that you have a certain grade in GCSE Maths and English. Other than that, it is your predicted A Levels and subsequent A level grades that really matter. I think the best thing to do is simply reach out to the universities that you want to study at and ask their admissions team. That way you will have a definitive answer and can put to rest any unnecessary worry over wasted applications etc.

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie 🙂
Original post by UniofLaw Student
Hi @Idi akz

The only requirement that some universities will have is that you have a certain grade in GCSE Maths and English. Other than that, it is your predicted A Levels and subsequent A level grades that really matter.

That might be the case at ULaw but other universities have different criteria
Original post by Idi akz
Maths - 7
History - 7
Business - 7
English Literature - 7
English Language - 6
Combined Science - 6-5
French - 3

I got an offer from Manchester for Law with mediocre gcse tbh. Mainly C’s and D’s, although i did achieve the equivalent of 3 As at A-level. Mature student btw. I think as long as your predicted grades and personal statement are top knotch, your gcse grades will be a minor set back. Also, i wouldn’t consider your gcse weak mate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending