The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 180
Original post by 0110011001110100
x

You applied for a subject that required essays to be submitted and you sent the essays in three weeks late, and then stated in your personal statement you don't like reading books - and you're pissed off that you didn't get an interview? At that point it should have been blatantly obvious the only hope you had of getting an interview was via an admin error.
Reply 181
Original post by Degiac
Course: Computer Science
College: St John's

We don't have anything like GCSEs or A Levels here. We get yearly grades and sit a final exam, so I think these will do just fine for the purpose of this thread.

Last year grades:
10/10 Informatics
10/10 Network systems
10/10 technology and design of computer systems and telecommunications
8/10 maths (even with a perfect test you can't get more than that with my math teacher. It sucks, but it's how it works here. Hope this won't lower my chances)
other >=8/10 marks in non - relevant subjects

Predicted result for the "Esame di Maturità": 100/100

Anything else relevant:
2nd place in regional Informatics Olympiad, didn't score well at the national one but I'll try again this year (before the application :tongue:)
1st place at School's math competition
Worked on various small projects
Student representative in the school's administrative board for years
Vicepresident of the Provincial Student's Council

International Candidate from Italy

Ehi!

I'm Italian as well, got in for Law this January.

Buona fortuna davvero, se posso esserti d'aiuto chiedi pure :wink:
Reply 182
Course: PPE
College: Not sure, possibly Balliol or Magdalen?
GCSEs: 9A*, 3A... and a C
A Level Subjects: Maths, History, Economics, and Product Design (why on earth did I consider doing design to uni?) Predicted: AAAA
Anything else relevant: Also doing Critical Thinking (predicted A), and I'll probably do the EPQ too even though Oxford don't require either of those. Also applied for UNIQ (with Law as second choice).
Home Candidate

I'm worried that my ridiculous decision to continue with Product Design from GCSE will be what stops me from getting into Oxford - I'm definitely dropping it at the end of this year. My school seem to think I can get into Oxford, or at least a Russell Group uni (in order of preference, the other four I'm considering are Durham, Edinburgh, Manchester, and York), so I probably have a chance... But it'll be tough. I guess it'll rest on the personal statement and TSA as to whether I actually get an interview, never mind an offer! I wish I'd changed to English Literature at the start of the year...
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by Noble.
You applied for a subject that required essays to be submitted and you sent the essays in three weeks late, and then stated in your personal statement you don't like reading books - and you're pissed off that you didn't get an interview? At that point it should have been blatantly obvious the only hope you had of getting an interview was via an admin error.

From the fact that it's their only post, I doubt it's legit. If it is, I find it quite hilarious that they even thought they should have received an interview.
Reply 184
Original post by 0110011001110100
x

Original post by Noble.

Original post by Lucilou101
From the fact that it's their only post, I doubt it's legit. If it is, I find it quite hilarious that they even thought they should have received an interview.

Sorry, I'm reading this as a precautionary tale of what not to do. You seem to be telling the poster something he/she already knows - albeit with hindsight - and wishes to pass on.

The underlying message that, however smart you are, you should research your application carefully seems like good advice to 2015 applicants.
Reply 185
Original post by Pars12
Sorry, I'm reading this as a precautionary tale of what not to do. You seem to be telling the poster something he/she already knows - albeit with hindsight - and wishes to pass on.

The underlying message that, however smart you are, you should research your application carefully seems like good advice to 2015 applicants.

I know, I read it like that as well. My response was aimed at the point about being annoyed about not being given an interview. If they hadn't put that in, I'd have said nothing.
Course: CAAH
College: Christ's Church
GCSEs: N/A
A Level Subjects: N/A
IB: Predicted 40+
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate: International
Original post by Pars12

Agreed, the underlying message is important. Though I would imagine very few people send their essays in late, or don't research the admissions tests.
However, it is still good advice. Maybe just said in a strange way.
Similarly to Noble, I was more picking up on the fact they thought they should have received an interview :smile:
Original post by indigorain
College: Not sure yet, possibly St John's

Original post by crabsticks
College: St John's or Magdalen - I heard they have nice food??

John's! :party:

We have decent food - if you want to check for yourself, then if you book in advance, you can have free lunch on an open day...
Reply 189
Course: Law/ Law with German Law/ Law Studies in Europe- I'm really not sure yet!
College: Not sure, perhaps Jesus
GCSEs: 10 A* 1A
AS levels: Biology, Geography, German, History

Any one know much about the different Law degrees that Oxford offer?- I'm predicted an A in German AS but I'm just worried that my language skills won't be good enough.
Original post by maarg13
Course: Law/ Law with German Law/ Law Studies in Europe- I'm really not sure yet!
College: Not sure, perhaps Jesus
GCSEs: 10 A* 1A
AS levels: Biology, Geography, German, History

Any one know much about the different Law degrees that Oxford offer?- I'm predicted an A in German AS but I'm just worried that my language skills won't be good enough.

You'll need to be predicted an A at German A2 if you decide to apply for the Law with German Law. The Law with a language courses are extremely competitive, as there is a faculty limit on how many places are given. Saying that you shouldn't be put off as you will still be considered for straight law even if you don't get the year abroad.
Also, I'm not sure how common it is, but because you have to get a certain percent in your first year to stay on the law with a language course, it is possible to switch later to it and gain someone else's place if you were unsuccessful to start.
When you apply you can also inform them that you are interest in the law with studies in Europe course.

The course itself works that you do the exact same law modules as those on the straight course, with some German lessons organised at the language faculty and I think a bit of insight into German law. Similar for the studies in Europe, you have some lessons in basic Dutch but as the year abroad is taught in English it's less of a focus.
There is no test for the language during admissions, but you would be asked to have a quick conversation in German just to check your speaking skills and as I've said the A prediction :smile:
Reply 191
You'll need to be predicted an A at German A2 if you decide to apply for the Law with German Law. The Law with a language courses are extremely competitive, as there is a faculty limit on how many places are given. Saying that you shouldn't be put off as you will still be considered for straight law even if you don't get the year abroad.
Also, I'm not sure how common it is, but because you have to get a certain percent in your first year to stay on the law with a language course, it is possible to switch later to it and gain someone else's place if you were unsuccessful to start.
When you apply you can also inform them that you are interest in the law with studies in Europe course.

The course itself works that you do the exact same law modules as those on the straight course, with some German lessons organised at the language faculty and I think a bit of insight into German law. Similar for the studies in Europe, you have some lessons in basic Dutch but as the year abroad is taught in English it's less of a focus.
There is no test for the language during admissions, but you would be asked to have a quick conversation in German just to check your speaking skills and as I've said the A prediction :smile:

Thanks for your help. I enjoy German and would like to continue it but i think I will will wait until I get my AS results before I decide. If not I will probably go for Law with European Law Studies and if I end up on the straight Law course then that would still be brilliant!

One more question though, if I were to apply for the German option at Oxford but straight Law everywhere else is it the same PS, in which case would it not look a bit stupid to other Unis if I am talking about German? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by maarg13
Thanks for your help. I enjoy German and would like to continue it but i think I will will wait until I get my AS results before I decide. If not I will probably go for Law with European Law Studies and if I end up on the straight Law course then that would still be brilliant!

One more question though, if I were to apply for the German option at Oxford but straight Law everywhere else is it the same PS, in which case would it not look a bit stupid to other Unis if I am talking about German? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it would be fine to include it as quite a lot of courses involve modules in European law, some even allow language modules also. It's just another way of showing your interest in the field of law :smile:
Reply 193
I think it would be fine to include it as quite a lot of courses involve modules in European law, some even allow language modules also. It's just another way of showing your interest in the field of law :smile:

Okay, great. Thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fluteflute
John's! :party:

We have decent food - if you want to check for yourself, then if you book in advance, you can have free lunch on an open day...

Thanks! Good to know :cool:
Reply 195
Course: Medicine
College: I have no idea what colleges are there in Oxford apart from 'Merton' 'St.John' 'Queen'?? not sure
IGCSEs: 7A* 2A
A Level Subjects: Maths, Further Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Critical Thinking, Chinese
Anything else relevant: I did some volunteering, I entered the essay competition in Cambridge.. I did some work experience
International Candidate = no chance of getting in... :frown:

I am a very inclined Cambridge applicant, if ums doesn't work well for me, i will consider oxford :smile:
Original post by JackTeh96
Course: Medicine
College: I have no idea what colleges are there in Oxford apart from 'Merton' 'St.John' 'Queen'?? not sure
IGCSEs: 7A* 2A
A Level Subjects: Maths, Further Math, Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Critical Thinking, Chinese
Anything else relevant: I did some volunteering, I entered the essay competition in Cambridge.. I did some work experience
International Candidate = no chance of getting in... :frown:

I am a very inclined Cambridge applicant, if ums doesn't work well for me, i will consider oxford :smile:

Hi, if you want to know more about the courses and colleges you can download the 2015 undergraduate prospectus here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/further_information.html

There is also an excellent article on Oxford colleges here on TSR:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/oxford_college_pros_and_cons
Reply 197
Original post by Helen_in_Ireland
Hi, if you want to know more about the courses and colleges you can download the 2015 undergraduate prospectus here: http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduate_courses/applying_to_oxford/further_information.html

There is also an excellent article on Oxford colleges here on TSR:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/oxford_college_pros_and_cons

Thanks very much!
I think it would be fine to include it as quite a lot of courses involve modules in European law,

'quote a lot of courses'- correction: all qualifying law degrees in the UK require you to study EU law as a module or significant part of one. Otherwise you have to do a law conversion course should you wish to be a solicitor or barrister.
Reply 199
interesting
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending