The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sano16
Hey guys!
I'm a maths with statistics girl - anyone else interested in this course pls dm me! I seem to be the only one in the world who wants to read it at oxford!!
College: no idea!
Gcse: 10a*s 3a's
A levels: maths fmaths French economics
Anything else: going to Eton and uniq! ������

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi, I would like to apply to maths, or maths/Statistics
I got 2A*s 4As and 2Bs in my IGCSE coz my old school was pretty bad, about 50% A*-B
My predicted grades will be at least 1 D1 1D2 1D3 and A/A* coz I do physics, maths and further maths in Pre-U and economics in A-level
Please could you give me some advice? Such as interviews, MAT, etc.
Thxxxx
Currently sitting AS exams in Maths, chemistry, physics and German. Do you think as I'm going to apply to read Chemistry at Oxford, if I get AAAB at AS (B in German which I'm dropping) and am predicted A*A*A at A2 I would be considered despite a B at AS - got 4A*, 6A and 1B at GCSE. Thanks in advance :smile:
Original post by HennersPD
Currently sitting AS exams in Maths, chemistry, physics and German. Do you think as I'm going to apply to read Chemistry at Oxford, if I get AAAB at AS (B in German which I'm dropping) and am predicted A*A*A at A2 I would be considered despite a B at AS - got 4A*, 6A and 1B at GCSE. Thanks in advance :smile:

I had a B in Psychology :smile: if its unrelated I don't think its a big deal
Original post by AKell17
I had a B in Psychology :smile: if its unrelated I don't think its a big deal

Ah ok thanks :smile:
For the MML course, (french and spanish) is there an additional test that may take place during the interview?
Original post by BuddingAchiever
For the MML course, (french and spanish) is there an additional test that may take place during the interview?

Not that I've heard of. The MLAT used to be taken in college, but a few years back they changed it.

I do French at Oxford btw so if you have any questions about the French course at Oxford/the admissions process, fire away :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Say if you did poorly (in terms of Oxford) at AS, managing to achieve AABB, for example, could you still be considered for an interview if you managed to perform well on the TSA? I'm worried that errors in History and Economics will have caused me to not achieve my target grades.
Original post by Handles
Say if you did poorly (in terms of Oxford) at AS, managing to achieve AABB, for example, could you still be considered for an interview if you managed to perform well on the TSA? I'm worried that errors in History and Economics will have caused me to not achieve my target grades.

Maybe, I'm sure there are a few people at oxford that got AABB at AS. Frankly though, someone capable of getting a place at oxford should be able to get AAAA; it would undoubtedly count against you unless there were mitigating circumstances.
Original post by qwertyuiop1993
Not that I've heard of. The MLAT used to be taken in college, but a few years back they changed it.

I do French at Oxford btw so if you have any questions about the French course at Oxford/the admissions process, fire away :smile:

Thank you.... and if you say so haha.... I've looked intensely into cambridge course so I'm still getting used to how oxford is different as well as the different colleges. Since I'm so familiar with cambridge, oxford is almost foreign to me, but upon learning that their language centre is far more better, since I want to keep up mandarin whilst i'm doing french and spanish, i'm beginning to look at oxford more. As far as I know, the MLAT is taken at our school, whilst at cambridge, not all colleges require submission of essay or whatever but I feel that the tests are somewhat ambiguous.

Although many claim that the oxford course is very literature based (which I don't mind)... did you feel that you were able to cope with the intensity?

What gcses did you get? My grades were not terrible but they were average for my school (6A*s 4A).

ALso, I'm doing the Cambridge Pre-U course in conjunction with my a-levels, so this year I will only have 3 results. Would this impede my application?

-During your a-levels, AS in particular, how much extensive reading did you manage to do? I'm afraid that I've left most for this summer so I may not have enough sources to write on my PS.

Feel free to PM me and I apologise for the millions of questions (and I fear that there may be more)

Thank you so much, nevertheless !! :biggrin:
Original post by KombatWombat
Maybe, I'm sure there are a few people at oxford that got AABB at AS. Frankly though, someone capable of getting a place at oxford should be able to get AAAA; it would undoubtedly count against you unless there were mitigating circumstances.

Okay. Yeah, I know, it's just that I misread the question in my first History exam and I fear I may have done poorly in my first Economics exam. Though I may not have done quite so badly as I think I've done, and I do still have the second units for both of those subjects in which to try and redeem myself. I'm just trying to prepare myself for the possibility that I won't get into a Russell Group uni.
Original post by BrassHi
If your considering Oxford then I'm sure a Russell Group Uni will be attainable relatively easily!

Do you think that would still be the case even if I got AABB?
Original post by Handles
Do you think that would still be the case even if I got AABB?

I know you'll be worrying about things anyway before you get your results, but there's no need to make any decisions about where you're applying for ages yet! It's hard to tell how well you did, as you say.

If you did get AABB, I wouldn't say don't apply; good GCSEs and TSA would count in your favour, especially if you/your referee made it clear that your results weren't representative of your true ability. Also bear in mind that you could apply post A-level, with strong results, if you're set on oxford. And yes, you would definitely make a competitive application to plenty of Russel Group unis.
I know you'll be worrying about things anyway before you get your results, but there's no need to make any decisions about where you're applying for ages yet! It's hard to tell how well you did, as you say.

If you did get AABB, I wouldn't say don't apply; good GCSEs and TSA would count in your favour, especially if you/your referee made it clear that your results weren't representative of your true ability. Also bear in mind that you could apply post A-level, with strong results, if you're set on oxford. And yes, you would definitely make a competitive application to plenty of Russel Group unis.

Yeah, haha, I'm just trying to figure out whether I should start looking round unis other than Russell Group unis. The only university I've been in so far is Lancaster, as I was making use of the library for revision, but I've yet to start looking really. For PPE, I know that the lowest offer any of the unis I've looked at do is AAB (Manchester).

Ah okay. I'm not sure how I or my referee would be able to do that, though (other than the fact that my Economics teacher didn't really teach us, he just handed out 'research tasks' and went through multiple choice answers with us). But thanks anyway, this has reassured me to some extent. :smile:
Original post by Handles
Yeah, haha, I'm just trying to figure out whether I should start looking round unis other than Russell Group unis. The only university I've been in so far is Lancaster, as I was making use of the library for revision, but I've yet to start looking really. For PPE, I know that the lowest offer any of the unis I've looked at do is AAB (Manchester).

Visit as many as you can would definitely be my advice. I applied to a couple of places without visiting; I ended up really not liking when I went there for an interview…

Ah okay. I'm not sure how I or my referee would be able to do that, though (other than the fact that my Economics teacher didn't really teach us, he just handed out 'research tasks' and went through multiple choice answers with us). But thanks anyway, this has reassured me to some extent. :smile:

It depends how your school does references, but the best way would probably be whining at your teacher to make sure they give you an A* prediction.
Original post by Handles
For PPE, I know that the lowest offer any of the unis I've looked at do is AAB (Manchester).

It may interest you to know offers for PPE vary across the scale. I haven't yet found a typical offer of less than BBC (Stirling) and it goes all the way up (if you see what I mean) to a few typically offering A*AA (even higher than Oxford's).

When you are looking at other institutions, do consider some universities have slight 'variants' of the course. I think it's Birmingham, for instance, who offer 'Policy, Politics and Economics' but obviously it's abbreviated to PPE.

I'm also a fellow prospective PPEist.
Do you guys think that Oxford will accept AS results from the October/November Examination? (I'm doing the CIE board)
Course: Hispanic studies and french
College: not sure yet
GCSEs:6a*s 5as 1b
A levels: French Spanish English and History: currently predicted A's

Posted from TSR Mobile
Visit as many as you can would definitely be my advice. I applied to a couple of places without visiting; I ended up really not liking when I went there for an interview…

It depends how your school does references, but the best way would probably be whining at your teacher to make sure they give you an A* prediction.

Well I spoke to someone last night who said they're willing to organise a trip to Durham for the open day, which should help as it is unnecessarily difficult to get across the Penines... Out of interest, where were these places?

Ah, I see. :smile: Thanks - hopefully I'd get that prediction anyway, because I wouldn't like whining too much, but we'll see.
Original post by NikolaT
It may interest you to know offers for PPE vary across the scale. I haven't yet found a typical offer of less than BBC (Stirling) and it goes all the way up (if you see what I mean) to a few typically offering A*AA (even higher than Oxford's).

When you are looking at other institutions, do consider some universities have slight 'variants' of the course. I think it's Birmingham, for instance, who offer 'Policy, Politics and Economics' but obviously it's abbreviated to PPE.

I'm also a fellow prospective PPEist.

Yeah, I know York, Durham, UCL, and LSE all ask for A*AA despite the latter two being new to offering the course.

What exactly do they mean by 'Policy,' though, surely that's part of politics? I certainly wouldn't mind doing History and Economics, History and Politics, or even Politics and Economics, but so far the only ones I've looked at who offer that also ask for around A*AA - AAA.

I think I worry too much...
Original post by Handles
What exactly do they mean by 'Policy,' though, surely that's part of politics? I certainly wouldn't mind doing History and Economics, History and Politics, or even Politics and Economics, but so far the only ones I've looked at who offer that also ask for around A*AA - AAA.

I think I worry too much...

Ah but my friend, isn't philosophy a part of politics? Isn't politics a part of economics? :wink:

I've had a good luck around over the past year or so and have found some decent universities/courses related to PPE (though not necessarily PPE in the same structure as Oxford) via websites like Which? Uni and What Uni?. Both are very good in terms of the information they give: Which? Uni has a lot of stats like the percentage of applicants who receive offers for courses, and you can filter your searches via some criteria if you wish, whilst What Uni? is more based around ratings (league tables + students' reviews). I recommend you have a look at both, plugging in random combinations of courses. Both sites have comparison features too.
Original post by NikolaT
Ah but my friend, isn't philosophy a part of politics? Isn't politics a part of economics? :wink:

I've had a good luck around over the past year or so and have found some decent universities/courses related to PPE (though not necessarily PPE in the same structure as Oxford) via websites like Which? Uni and What Uni?. Both are very good in terms of the information they give: Which? Uni has a lot of stats like the percentage of applicants who receive offers for courses, and you can filter your searches via some criteria if you wish, whilst What Uni? is more based around ratings (league tables + students' reviews). I recommend you have a look at both, plugging in random combinations of courses. Both sites have comparison features too.

Touché. :wink:

Ah, okay, I'll take a look. :smile: So far the only ones I've looked at in detail are Durham, York, Manchester, Edinburgh, and of course Oxford. Thanks for your help. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending