Original post by EcstaZEEH
Anybody for Human Sciences? :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is it the equivalence to medicine in the UK or?:smile:
Original post by BIGDIKC

Its sort of a mix between Biology, Geography and Anthropology I think :smile:
Original post by Cantabcyte
Greetings folks, I have not noticed a thread for prospective oxford students of 2015... So I decided to make one now!
This is specifically for those who are submitting their application during October 2014. (In which you would get your reply in 2015)
:smile:
Feel free to share details!
Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate

Course: PPE
College: No idea
IGCSES: 10 A*, CIE outsanding Learner Awards, Top in the World for IGCSE Biology and IGCSE Geography
A-Level Subjects: Economics, Mathematics, History, Government and Politcs, Russian and AS-Greek. Grades will be known this August
Other: Debate, co-founder and editor in chief of a student current afairs journal, some experience with FOREX, MUN and some other less relevant extracurriculars (eg saxophone and rugby)
Home/international Candidate: ​EU
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BrassHi
What are you! Top in the world for two subjects...

Top in the world for a subject they can't even spell.. Hmm..
Original post by BrassHi
Perhaps the reason he's top in the world for Georgraphy is because he's the only person who took it!

Ahaha possibly :wink:
I didn't even know 'top in the world' was a thing, then again I know little about iGCSEs!
A lot of people get 100% in IGCSE so I am unsure how someone can be THE best rather than one of..
Original post by maxisuper
A lot of people get 100% in IGCSE so I am unsure how someone can be THE best rather than one of..

Funniest thing was that I did not get 100%. I have no idea how the thing works. Oh, and I'm sure its at least 10 people sharing the award, Its simply that, instead of ranking those 10 people, everyone is issued an equivalent award.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by TheAnnabelle
You definitely don't go to New College do you? (read: sarcastic tone) ahhaha.

I haven't decided yet! (I was looking at St.Hilda's (heard its super friendly and you can walk of the grass or something), Queen's (because Rowan Atkinson) and Balliol (because Richard Dawkins and Christopher Hitchens).)
But before these recent revelations (as of yesterday lol), I was actually looking into New College! So maybe there! What do you like about it? Sell it to me! :-p

I'll deffo have a look on the open day

Well for me a central, big college was very important. New is one of Oxford's biggest colleges and is quite close to the heart of the city, barely a 2-3 minute walk away. It's also quite close to the Law Faculty, just 2 minutes away, which was also great. Most rooms are singlets so you don't have to share (that's an issue for quite a few people) and there are more en-suites than in most colleges.

Some other colleges had that stuff so what really set it apart for me was the beauty, the mini-fridges and the general feeling of awesomeness. While it's definitely among Oxford's most beautiful colleges (looking at you, Catz) there aren't as many tourists as at Christ Church or Brasenose. Every fresher's room also comes equipped with a mini-fridge which is super important for me - I'm an Indian so I consume copious amunts of yoghurt, which I need storage for. And there's just a feeling that you get from the website/JCR website/Facebook page. I didn't really feel that with other colleges. It just seemed a bit different from the rest, really friendly and all-in-all not the type that fit into any one stereotype. I loved that because it made me feel more comfortable (I'm not very much like most others) and it seemed like there were all types of people who were all just comfortable with each other. I wasn't sure but when I went over for interviews (never been there otherwise, I live in India) everything about it was just as I had felt.

ALSO WE HAVE OXFORD'S BIGGEST GARDENS AND THEY ARE GORGEOUS <3
Original post by BrassHi
Perhaps the reason he's top in the world for Georgraphy is because he's the only person who took it!

Of course not. If you did not know, in counties like Singapore IGCSEs in may cases replace their national secondary education examinations, and I am sure quite a few people sit this exam. I see no reason for the insults.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by philerus
Of course not. If you did not know, in counties like Singapore IGCSE replace their national secondary education examination, and I am sure quite a few people sit this exam. I see no reason for the insults.

They're mocking your spelling of "georgraphy". I know; it's hilarious.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: Experimental Psychology
College: Not sure yet, maybe an open application?
GCSEs: 8 A*s, 3 A's
A Level Subjects: Dance, Psychology, French, Maths, Extended Project
Other things: Lots of reading around the subject; including the psychologist magazine, green team, head of human rights committee, starting a psychology club, highest number of distinctions at GCSE in Singapore. Not sure of other things.. apart from many performances?
Home Candidate

Good luck to us all!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by BrassHi
We were just joking! Not an insult at all, just pointing out a simple spelling mistake and using it as an excuse for your apparent brilliance. Although I still don't really understand the top of the world thing; does that mean getting 100%, because i can't really think of any other differential.

Alright, no offence taken. My best guess is that the examiners select the top nth percentile based on marks awarded purely according to the mark scheme, and then compare the quality of the actual answers i.e. style, depth, knowledge etc. This is the only explanation I can think of for the awards being awarded tosomeone without 100%, since, because of UMS, there are doubtless quite a few poeple with full marks. Iim guessing that if they use the method I suggest, then there are unlikely to be similar awards for subjects like mathematics, which would actually, perhaps, be the best subject of all to showcase true intelligence.
Original post by BIGDIKC

No, like Akell said, it's a study of humans, looking at the biological, genetics, evolution, social, sociological and anthropological aspects of human life and human civilisation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by philerus
Alright, no offence taken. My best guess is that the examiners select the top nth percentile based on marks awarded purely according to the mark scheme, and then compare the quality of the actual answers i.e. style, depth, knowledge etc. This is the only explanation I can think of for the awards being awarded tosomeone without 100%, since, because of UMS, there are doubtless quite a few poeple with full marks. Iim guessing that if they use the method I suggest, then there are unlikely to be similar awards for subjects like mathematics, which would actually, perhaps, be the best subject of all to showcase true intelligence.

It's just seems like such a silly award title, because evidently multiple people can't be top of the world. Plus, it's not as if everyone in the world did the exam aha

A pretty cool title to have though, nonetheless!
Original post by EcstaZEEH
No, like Akell said, it's a study of humans, looking at the biological, genetics, evolution, social, sociological and anthropological aspects of human life and human civilisation. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You see, I was paying attention last year :P
Are you applying again?
Original post by pak1994
The first bit is probably true at more colleges than you think (although I can't be sure how many).
In terms of the second, if you like Richard Dawkins then he is actually a fellow at New College.
(I will, however, let amol attempt to sell New College to you, seeing as should be doing work...)

Oh, I didn't know he was! That's strange, you think he's become a fellow of the college he actually went to!

Me too, should be working ahahha, shouldn't we all be?! Good luck with it!
And Amol did some pretty decent persuading I must say. Will deffo check New out on open day
Original post by Lucilou101
Ahaha possibly :wink:
I didn't even know 'top in the world' was a thing, then again I know little about iGCSEs!

Maybe it's only our board (CIE) which does this. My school always gets top in Spain for English and English lit. We have also been twice the best in Spain for Geography and P.E. and once top in the world for Psychology. Basically out of the people with full UMS they pick the best papers and award them top in the country / continent / world. It is a very rare award which is very hard to achieve.
Original post by MrBowcat
Hi guys, I wanted to know what you think my chances of getting into Economics and Management are, and whether I'm better off applying to Cambridge or not. My credentials are:

GCSEs: 11A*s 1A(FSMQ)
AS levels: Maths, Further Maths, Geography and Economics (predicted 4As)
Extra curricular: not much, work experience at Barclays and a law firm, silver in Senior maths challenge, participate in annual charity bike ride,read the economist weekly, (going to start reading a few books after exams), and that's about it really.

Also, could you please advise me as to what else you think I should be doing to better my chances of getting in. Thanks :smile:

Look, I'm not a STEM person, and as I'm only in AS year I'm not an expert by any means, but you seem to be good in the points the oxford website and my parents (Cambridge admissions tutors) say they look for: you are performing consistently well academically, you are doing extra (which shows you can cope with more work and are enthusiastic), and you are reading around the subject, which shows genuine interest.

Obviously there are other areas you will need to do well in, like your interview and any admissions tests, but in terms of grades and extracurriculars you look good to this completely unqualified busybody :biggrin:. Think about looking up the reading list for undergraduates and having a look at those.
Hi guys!

I've been really encouraged at seeing people here with only a couple A* at GCSE as mine were quite poor and I thought I'd have close to no chance! Feeling much more hopeful now depending on AS. Anyway...

Course: History and Politics
College: Not sure yet, might put in an open application- if any advice were forthcoming, I would listen to it.
GCSEs: 3 A*, 5 A, 1 B, 1 C, 1 D(in drama, everyone did badly, we used a funny board.)
A Level Subjects: Maths, Economics, Government and Politics, History, EPQ
Other stuff: Do Debating/Model UN/Lamda Public Speaking, Work Experience in either Dhaka or Addis Ababa, Doing the Cambridge Politics Essay competition.
Home/International Candidate: Home- go to Boarding School in UK but live abroad, British Citizen.
Original post by Obliviscor
Look, I'm not a STEM person, and as I'm only in AS year I'm not an expert by any means, but you seem to be good in the points the oxford website and my parents (Cambridge admissions tutors) say they look for: you are performing consistently well academically, you are doing extra (which shows you can cope with more work and are enthusiastic), and you are reading around the subject, which shows genuine interest.

Obviously there are other areas you will need to do well in, like your interview and any admissions tests, but in terms of grades and extracurriculars you look good to this completely unqualified busybody :biggrin:. Think about looking up the reading list for undergraduates and having a look at those.

Thank you! The only problem is that Economics and Management is the most competitive degree at Oxford, and no one from my school has ever got in (my school sends around 15 students to oxbridge per year). So I'm wondering if I have more chances of getting into Cambridge, but the E&M degree looks much more appealing. Huge dilemma!!
(edited 9 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending