The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

course: Mathematics i think, maybe E&M
im scottish so...
standard grades: 1,1,1,1,1,1,1 and an A in higher music (sat a year early)
Highers (this year sat): chem, bio, maths, english Advanced higher music (again early sitting)
Next year: Advanced higher maths, applied maths, english and higher french and higher philosophy.
Biomedical Sciences
Do not know what college
5A's, 6B's and 2C's

I have 2 questions, do I have a chance with these grades to get into oxford as I have a disability and what college is best for biomedical sciences
Reply 982
Course: Law w/ European Legal Studies (French)/History -- still undecided
College: Magdalen/New
IGCSEs: 2A*s, 6As & 1B -- (I know that these are really below average to other Oxbridge candidates in general, but I went to quite a low-performing school for years 9, 10 & 11 -- I've now changed schools to a highly academic boarding school and my HE advisor said she could put them into context for universities. However, would these results hinder my chances?)
IB: HL: History, English A Lit., Biology SL: Economics, Maths Studies, French A L&L
Predicted 43/45

Anything else relevant: MUN, Debating, school's Law discussion group, inter-school mock trials, school's History soc., have done work experience in a London firm & a French firm in Paris, prefect.
Original post by lcdrz
x

Choose New! :biggrin:

Your profile looks pretty good by the way. Good luck :smile:
Original post by lorrianne_joseph
Biomedical Sciences
Do not know what college
5A's, 6B's and 2C's

I have 2 questions, do I have a chance with these grades to get into oxford as I have a disability and what college is best for biomedical sciences

It's very hard to tell about your chances with the information you've given us. The best thing to do is to contact the uni admissions themselves, explaining your circumstances. Those grades would have to be not representative of your true ability though; you'd need to demonstrate academic aptitude with your disability taken into account.

I'm afraid I can't help with colleges much for biomed, although you'll get excellent teaching at any college so don't get too worried by reputations and so on. Try looking at other things; facilities, accommodation, food, costs, etc. etc.
Guys what are may chances with my Stats:
Course : Maths
GCSE: 6a* 3a 1b and ( a* in A level maths Early)
AS levels : Further Maths : probably A
Physics. : probably A
Chemistry. :low A/high b due to one exam going badly, with all other exams relatively much better
Biology. : low A/ high b same reason as Chemistry

I'm also doing STEP I and II early, I'm expecting a 1 in STEP I ( completed) and hopefully a 1/S in STEP II

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 986
Original post by BrassHi
So did you transfer from state to private, or have you always been in the private system? Because if it's the latter, then i highly doubt you'll get any sympathy considering that a quite low-performing private school would have much easier learning conditions (and as a result a higher average number of GCSE's per person) than almost all state schools, especially comps. If you really are worried about your GCSE's then maybe think about Cambridge as they don't care, but if you think you can put together a compelling application then you might as well go for it!

It's a bit more complicated than that, I was in an international school in Switzerland where most people don't care about their academic performance as they're quite wealthy (my parent works at the school, so I got to go) and most people in my year took from as little as 2/3 igcses to probably a maximum of 6 (although I took 9) igcses not more. I'll tempt my chances though!
Reply 987
As I have seen a couple of times now students applying for Law stat "debating" in their extra-curricular activities, is this a course? or are there competitions like this in the UK that these bright students manage to win?
Original post by BIGDIKC
As I have seen a couple of times now students applying for Law stat "debating" in their extra-curricular activities, is this a course? or are there competitions like this in the UK that these bright students manage to win?

Schools have clubs and societies, and I think there are also competitions
GCSE's: 8A* and 2A's
AS Levels: Pending
Hometown: Manchester
Degree: Law with Law Studies in Europe (German)
Reply 990
Hello. I am a prospective undergraduate for Theology. I was wondering whether you could please tell me roughly how many As and A*s are needed for me to stand a good chance of being shortlisted for interview for Theology. Thank you very much.
Course: Biomedical Science
College: New College
GCSEs: 4A*s 2As 2Bs (extenuating circumstances)
AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Geography)
A2: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, - Pending (Predicted A*A*A)
Home/ International: Home (Homeschooled w/ tutor)

I'm applying post a-level because I felt my GCSEs were not a true representation of my academic ability. My extenuating circumstances (which will be detailed in my reference) held me back quite a lot and so I thought it was in my best interest to apply with achieved results, so that Oxford were able to see my actual academic potential. I sat the BMAT last year just for the experience and I achieved 7.0, 6.8, 5A,(which I hope to either replicate or improve this year) I really don't know how this score compares to other candidates because there is hardly any information on Biomed, which means I have no idea about the relative competitiveness either.

I don't really know to what extent my circumstances will be considered, but I'm still applying because I know if I don't I'll always have that feeling of regret. :smile:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Perpetuation
Course: Biomedical Science
College: New College
GCSEs: 4A*s 2As 2Bs (extenuating circumstances)
AS: AAAA (Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, Geography)
A2: Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, - Pending (Predicted A*A*A)
Home/ International: Home (Homeschooled w/ tutor)

I'm applying post a-level because I felt my GCSEs were not a true representation of my academic ability. My extenuating circumstances (which will be detailed in my reference) held me back quite a lot and so I thought it was in my best interest to apply with achieved results, so that Oxford were able to see my actual academic potential. I sat the BMAT last year just for the experience and I achieved 7.0, 6.8, 5A,(which I hope to either replicate or improve this year) I really don't know how this score compares to other candidates because there is hardly any information on Biomed, which means I have no idea about the relative competitiveness either.

I don't really know to what extent my circumstances will be considered, but I'm still applying because I know if I don't I'll always have that feeling of regret. :smile:

I think I'm in a pretty similar position regarding my grades from last year and general feeling towards the application process.

Exciting gap year plans?
Original post by Kebechet
I think I'm in a pretty similar position regarding my grades from last year and general feeling towards the application process.

Exciting gap year plans?

Hopefully our grades come August, are better than what we expect! Oxford would be such a dream, as cliche as it is :tongue:

Well, I'm doing a lot of wider reading this summer, then teaching in a school abroad for two months, which I'll be coming back from at the end of August, to apply for uni and then hopefully working until January(?), so I can earn enough to travel for the rest of my gap year. Fairly unplanned, but I'm hoping things fall into place as the year progresses :smile: you?
Original post by Kebechet

Exciting gap year plans?

I'm also on a gap year...

Course: History
College: Not sure yet
GCSEs: 8A*s and 3As
AS: AAAB (English Literature, History, French, Classics)
A2: English Literature, History, French, EPQ - Pending (Predicted A*A*A*)
Home/ International: Home, state school

What do you think are the lowest A2 grades you could apply with? For example, would you apply if you got AAA?
Original post by ArtisticFlair
I'm also on a gap year...

Course: History
College: Not sure yet
GCSEs: 8A*s and 3As
AS: AAAB (English Literature, History, French, Classics)
A2: English Literature, History, French, EPQ - Pending (Predicted A*A*A*)
Home/ International: Home, state school

What do you think are the lowest A2 grades you could apply with? For example, would you apply if you got AAA?

In my eyes, the grade requirement is minimum. That said, if I only got the minimum, I'd be tempted to take up the offer I have this year, rather than reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by William Turtle
In my eyes, the grade requirement is minimum. That said, if I only got the minimum, I'd be tempted to take up the offer I have this year, rather than reapply.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yay for gap year-ers!

I think if I got AAA I'd apply simply because if I didn't I think I would always be slightly regretful, and so few places do Arch & Anth that I don't think it would really matter on my UCAS anyway. I can see that it might be slightly different if you're planning on doing a more mainstream course- which probably has more competition for spaces everywhere, not just at Oxford, though.

But good luck with whatever you chose to do!
Original post by Perpetuation
Hopefully our grades come August, are better than what we expect! Oxford would be such a dream, as cliche as it is :tongue:

Well, I'm doing a lot of wider reading this summer, then teaching in a school abroad for two months, which I'll be coming back from at the end of August, to apply for uni and then hopefully working until January(?), so I can earn enough to travel for the rest of my gap year. Fairly unplanned, but I'm hoping things fall into place as the year progresses :smile: you?

Fingers crossed we all succeed!

Wider reading too, of course :smile:
I think all my gap year plans have been fated for disaster:

Ukraine/ Belarus/ Poland- Ukraine crisis
Kenya/ East Africa- al shabaab threat
India- lots of recent rape cases
Thailand (cliche, I know)- military coup
Iraq (unconventional, but I have a friend there)- ISIS
Jordan- gradually ISIS

Just why??

But I'm going to Morocco this summer to stay with a Berber family and doing an archeological dig, so...

I guess I'll just work until after Christmas and then see. *sigh*
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lcdrz
It's a bit more complicated than that, I was in an international school Switzerland where most people don't care about their academic performance as they're quite wealthy (my parent works at the school, so I got to go) and most people in my year took from as little as 2/3 igcses to probably a maximum of 6 (although I took 9) igcses not more. I'll tempt my chances though!

As far as I'm aware, they only look at context for schools in Britain, according to their website.

Latest

Trending

Trending