The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Course: PPE
College: Brasenose/Pembroke
GCSEs: 7A* 4A
AS Levels: aaaab (maths, fm, physics, history, spanish)
A2 predicted: A*A*A*A (maths, history, physics, spanish)
Anything else relevant: A lot of wider reading, member of several societies, Grade 8 piano (yes I know this counts for not a lot), will be travelling/volunteering on gap year
Was rejected last year due to poor TSA performance

Another question, my AS ums is poor in places but I think my A2 ums will be much better, will that be a significant hindrance?
Original post by HennersPD
I'm applying this October to Jesus College to read Chemistry and wondered if these are good enough grades?
GCSE: 4A*, 6A, 1B
AS: E in ethics (a year early taken in 07/13), A, A, A (maths, chemistry , physics) and a B in German
A2 (Predictors): A* (Chemistry) A, A (in maths and physics)

What'd you think? Also I'm partially sighted - would that disadvantage me at all?

werent you in the cambridge thread?
Original post by M1llward
werent you in the cambridge thread?

Yes but now more focused on Oxford as prefer Chemistry over natural sciences!! So what'd you think?
Original post by HennersPD
Yes but now more focused on Oxford as prefer Chemistry over natural sciences!! So what'd you think?

oh fair enough. Honestly the chances of getting in are almost exactly the same as cambridge, and I imagine the differences between partially sighted people are minimal too
Original post by pyrrhusofepirus
Course: PPE
College: Brasenose/Pembroke
GCSEs: 7A* 4A
AS Levels: aaaab (maths, fm, physics, history, spanish)
A2 predicted: A*A*A*A (maths, history, physics, spanish)
Anything else relevant: A lot of wider reading, member of several societies, Grade 8 piano (yes I know this counts for not a lot), will be travelling/volunteering on gap year
Was rejected last year due to poor TSA performance

Another question, my AS ums is poor in places but I think my A2 ums will be much better, will that be a significant hindrance?

Oxford doesn't ask for UMS
Original post by pak1994

I will have to put them on anyway because the course I wish to apply for at LSE will require me to put my ums up
Original post by M1llward
oh fair enough. Honestly the chances of getting in are almost exactly the same as cambridge, and I imagine the differences between partially sighted people are minimal too

So even with the grades I've got you still think it's possible for me to have a chance at Oxford?? :smile:
Original post by pak1994

So, when you're putting your grades down on the UCAS form, can you leave out AS and A2 unit grades, and just put down A2 and AS final grades?
Original post by ArtisticFlair
So, when you're putting your grades down on the UCAS form, can you leave out AS and A2 unit grades, and just put down A2 and AS final grades?

Correct, you don't need to put down module grades - just the overall grade.
Original post by Lucilou101
Correct, you don't need to put down module grades - just the overall grade.

Course: Medicine
College: University
GCSEs: 10A*, 1A
IB Subjects: Bio HL, Chem HL, English Lit HL, Maths SL, French B SL, History SL

After visiting several colleges on the open day, have decided to apply to Univ. Looking on the Oxford website, however, I was shocked to see from the statistics that only 5% of Medicine applicants to Univ are accepted (this has been consistent over several years), compared to much higher figures at other colleges. Does anyone know why this is? Is Univ especially selective or do applicants tend to be weaker, for example?
Original post by Neverme
x

Sorry, but where did you get this data? Can't find it anywhere. Could you please provide a link?

I don't think it's either reason, that Univ is especially selective or that applicants are weaker, just that maybe they received a huge number of applications that year. I remember from fluteflute's amazing spreadsheet, for example, that in 2010 Brasenose's "oversubscribedness" was 700% but when averaged out over 2007-10, it was 435%. That represented a sudden spike over the past two years. The same might have happened to Univ medicine.
Original post by amol_chalis447
Sorry, but where did you get this data? Can't find it anywhere. Could you please provide a link?

I don't think it's either reason, that Univ is especially selective or that applicants are weaker, just that maybe they received a huge number of applications that year. I remember from fluteflute's amazing spreadsheet, for example, that in 2010 Brasenose's "oversubscribedness" was 700% but when averaged out over 2007-10, it was 435%. That represented a sudden spike over the past two years. The same might have happened to Univ medicine.

Here's the link:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/college-success-rates
I also thought it may be due to an anomaly, but if you look for individual years rather than the average you can see that every year it's around 4-6%.
Original post by Neverme
Here's the link:
http://www.ox.ac.uk/about/facts-and-figures/admissions-statistics/college-success-rates
I also thought it may be due to an anomaly, but if you look for individual years rather than the average you can see that every year it's around 4-6%.

Hmm I don't really know then. Might just get more applicants per place than other colleges perhaps.

Quick reminder though that if Oxford thinks you're a good enough applicant you'll be pooled and will get an offer from somewhere at least. If numbers really provide you with so much comfort, as they do to me, don't pick Univ. But that's a pretty irrational decision so it's good to just go with Univ.
Original post by amol_chalis447

Quick reminder though that if Oxford thinks you're a good enough applicant you'll be pooled and will get an offer from somewhere at least. If numbers really provide you with so much comfort, as they do to me, don't pick Univ. But that's a pretty irrational decision so it's good to just go with Univ.

This is quite an important point to make, and you've made it pretty well.

It may just be that Univ has fewer places which it gives to Medicine students, thus the lower success rate for direct applicants.
Course: Psychology, Philosophy and Linguistics
College: Not yet decided
GCSEs: 6 A* 3A 2 B
A Level results: Maths A*, Further Maths A* Physics A*
Anything else relevant: Was at Warwick doing Maths this year despite getting 1st and 2.1 in Jan exams hated it and so withdrew and reapplying for Psyc/Phil a weird change I know :L
Any aspiring Human Scientist here / anyone applying for Human Science?

Thinking of going on gap year (employment) and reapplying...

Note: I know I've done this a the nth time - sorry anyway. :smile:
Original post by NikolaT
This is quite an important point to make, and you've made it pretty well.

It may just be that Univ has fewer places which it gives to Medicine students, thus the lower success rate for direct applicants.

Someone in another thread has suggested that Univ gets quite a few weaker overseas applicants who don't understand the college system and think that if they want to apply to the University of Oxford they have to apply to "University College", leading to the college being oversubscribed in subjects popular with overseas applicants, such as Medicine.
Course: Computer Science
College: Univ
GCSEs: 7A*,3A
A Level Subjects: Maths, Further Maths, Computing + EPQ (+ AS French + A2 General Studies)
Anything else relevant: The general studies was compulsory :colondollar:
Home/International Candidate
Is there much point in applying to computer science if you've only 2A*s and will only be studying FM AS? I was thinking of applying if maths has gone really well and I get AAA with ~95%. The school I studied my GCSEs at was joint worst in NI that year for GCSEs so I not only did I achieve the highest number of A*s but probably the only person to pass >5 GCSEs. Moved to a decent grammar school but wasn't able to sit a 4th AS, pretty much down to my ex-school...had no choice.

Anyway, to help my application, I've learnt both Ruby and Python; started reading into discrete maths for computing; completed a placement at a software dev. and am currently working on a CREST Gold award bursary.

Latest

Trending

Trending