The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sherry C.
I am still wondering if it is pure foolishness to apply. I moved to Ontario two years ago, so basically I have been educated in English for two years (I got my IELTs scores: Reading 8.5 Listening 9 Writing 7 Speaking 8 and an average of 8, so hopefully it won't be a problem). I am considering doing Classics in uni, but my school did not offer Latin or Greek; basically I have not taken relevant courses, and the very limited background knowledge I have are acquired from extra reading.

By now I've got:
5s in AP English Language, Calculus AB and European History
SAT: 2300 (reading 730 writing 770 math 800)
SAT2: 770 in physics and 780 in chem (probably not quite relevant here)
And I got the highest average in my grade by the end of year 11. I am taking AP English Lit and politics next year, but not sure if getting two more 5s are likely.

And just several questions considering the application process: should the reference letters be submitted before Oct 15 as well? What can the three "relevant AP courses" be if I am applying for Course II (which does not require A-level or equivalent Latin or Greek)?

Apply.

For your first question, yes. You cannot submit your application until your reference is submitted.

I don't have an answer to your second question, try emailing the college you're interested in or the department.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Course: Physics
College: Lady Margaret Hall
GCSEs: 11A* 1A
Subjects: IB HL Physics, Maths, Further Maths, SL Latin, English, History
Anything else relevant: A* A-Level Physics last year
Home Candidate
Original post by alexmufc1995
It states in the prospectus that it doesn't form part of the offer, but they believe it shows an enthusiasm towards the subject.

I did one, but it wasn't mentioned at any stage of the process. Probably a minimal effect.

yeah they really don't bring it up or include it in the interview
This is probably a stupid question but do i have to organise/register for the TSA myself and before i apply or does it happen automatically after application?
Original post by hoollsss
This is probably a stupid question but do i have to organise/register for the TSA myself and before i apply or does it happen automatically after application?

The school has to register for you :smile:
Original post by emmaappleton
My favs are Christchurch, queens and Lincoln but will probs end up applying to CC or Lincoln as I loved the latter due to it's small community, cool bar and good accommodation! But I have an obscure family connection to CC so there is a possibility that might help me but I prefer Lincoln I think :smile: but let's face it any college would be incredible :smile:

Lincoln! :biggrin: Did you visit on one of our open days?
Original post by hoollsss

Your school has to register you for the TSA but please - do check and confirm that they HAVE registered you in plenty of time.

The son of a friend was applying for Oxford for 2014 and his school paid for him to go on an Oxbridge application course in advance, to practice for both the aptitude test and to undergo mock interviews. However, just a few days before the test he found out that the school had forgotten to register him! Oxford wouldn't let him register and sit the exam at such a late date and so he lost his opportunity and his application was wasted.

It is the STUDENT'S responsibility to confirm that they are registered for the appropriate aptitude test.

Also, if you have to submit essays etc try to organise them in plenty of time - my daughter was on the closed Facebook page for her chosen college and there were a few sharp replies from the admissions officers to those students who pleaded for extensions to the submission date ('the closing date for submission of work has been posted since the beginning of the year..')
Hey everyone!

Course: Physics and Philosophy
College: Magdalen
GCSEs: 11 A*s and an A in Further Maths
AS-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Chemistry and Ancient History (Hoping for As in all of them, but Ancient History may have gone badly)
A2 Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Chemistry
I take a Cambridge Pre-U course in Physics so no exams this year, but I had an interim assessment and achieved a D1 prediction! :smile:
Anything else: went on a 5 day Physics course at UCL, been to lots of public lectures, lots of wider reading, built a cloud chamber at school and also currently building a very home-made cyclotron with friends! Gold certificates in GCSE Physics Challenge, SMC, IMC and JMC and Silver certificates in Chemistry and Physics AS challenges
Course: Graduate Entry Medicine
Degree: M.Sci. Chemistry with Industrial Experience. Predicted a 1st.

Any other hopeful graduate medics out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Mr Men
Course: Graduate Entry Medicine
Degree: M.Sci. Chemistry with Industrial Experience. Predicted a 1st.

Any other hopeful graduate medics out there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

This'll probably be me in a few years!
Original post by NinjaNerdfighter
Lincoln! :biggrin: Did you visit on one of our open days?

Yes! I loved it so much, so pretty and cute, and a good bar! :smile:
This is such a random question...but if a college you're not a part of hosts a party, can you go solo and/or with a friend that attends the party-hosting college?
Course: biological sciences
college: LMH
GCSE's: 7A*'s 4 A's
a levels: chemistry biology maths geography
home applicant
Original post by kurofune
This is such a random question...but if a college you're not a part of hosts a party, can you go solo and/or with a friend that attends the party-hosting college?

What do you mean by a college hosting a party? College organised balls and events will normally have tickets for sale to people from other colleges. If it's a friend then you'll be able to visit. Most colleges have quite odd rules about guests (technically, at Magdalen I believe we're not supposed to have guests after midnight, no more than 10 people in a persons room without permission, that sort of thing) although they're usually badly enforced.

House parties aren't so much of the culture here, mostly because nearly everyone can drink right from when they start.
Original post by emmaappleton
I got the same GCSE results and am thinking of applying to Queens for law too!

Go for it! I might see you there in two years' time :redface:

Original post by Dzporkpie
thank you for your reply! How did you do in LNAT? Btw , I'm thinking of applying to Christ Church , but will it been hard for me to get into a such competitive college?

I got 27 which I think is probably fairly average for Oxford. I think the general advice is just apply to the college you like the most, regardless of competitiveness, because the pooling system will make sure you get into Oxford if you're good enough.
Hi all,

I had applied to Oxford in 2013 for law with deferred entry into 2015. I was given an interview but was rejected after that.

I'm considering re-applying this year for entry in 2015.

I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who's had some experience with re application. Beyond that, being given an interview for deferred entry, should I consider my chances for direct entry to be even stronger?

Thanks for your feedback and good luck to all!
Original post by amritsg
Hi all,

I had applied to Oxford in 2013 for law with deferred entry into 2015. I was given an interview but was rejected after that.

I'm considering re-applying this year for entry in 2015.

I'd like to know if there's anyone out there who's had some experience with re application. Beyond that, being given an interview for deferred entry, should I consider my chances for direct entry to be even stronger?

Thanks for your feedback and good luck to all!

Hey Amrit! Yes you should. It's well-known that they're harsher on deferred entry candidates so you'll have a better chance this time around.

If you've gotten some experience down that's brilliant. What was your LNAT score last time?
Hey Amol!

Thanks for the reply! I have read that they are somewhat tougher on deferred applicants. During my interview, the tutors said that deferred applicants needed to be applicants that they would take in every year regardless of the applicant pool.

I currently hold an offer from one of the London colleges and I'd be more than satisfied to accept that and stick with it. But at the same time, I don't want to live with the regret of not trying again. the problem arises if I don't get a place and the London schools reject me during re application.

Also, I had not really received any detailed feedback on my application and how close or far I was to receiving an offer.

So now, I have to work out whether my application will be strong enough for entry or my interview selection last year was more of a fluke than a strong application.

I had a 27 for my LNAT! What about you?
And how's preparations for your entry this year going?

Original post by amol_chalis447
Hey Amrit! Yes you should. It's well-known that they're harsher on deferred entry candidates so you'll have a better chance this time around.

If you've gotten some experience down that's brilliant. What was your LNAT score last time?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by amritsg
Hey Amol!

Thanks for the reply! I have read that they are somewhat tougher on deferred applicants. During my interview, the tutors said that deferred applicants needed to be applicants that they would take in every year regardless of the applicant pool.

I currently hold an offer from one of the London colleges and I'd be more than satisfied to accept that and stick with it. But at the same time, I don't want to live with the regret of not trying again. the problem arises if I don't get a place and the London schools reject me during re application.

So now, I have to work out whether my application will be strong enough for entry or my interview selection last year was more of a fluke than a strong application.

I had a 27 for my LNAT! What about you?
And how's preparations for your entry this year going?

That's a risk but in my opinion it's one worth taking, they don't select you for interview if they're not sure :smile:

I had 31. 27 is really good, you can do really well with that! The average for accepted students is 27.78 and for interviewees is 26.68 :smile:

Ah going good, currently working on my visa. Bit of a low period till Results Day!
Original post by minim123456789
Hey everyone!

Course: Physics and Philosophy
College: Magdalen
GCSEs: 11 A*s and an A in Further Maths
AS-Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Chemistry and Ancient History (Hoping for As in all of them, but Ancient History may have gone badly)
A2 Choices: Maths, Further Maths, Additional Further Maths, Chemistry
I take a Cambridge Pre-U course in Physics so no exams this year, but I had an interim assessment and achieved a D1 prediction! :smile:
Anything else: went on a 5 day Physics course at UCL, been to lots of public lectures, lots of wider reading, built a cloud chamber at school and also currently building a very home-made cyclotron with friends! Gold certificates in GCSE Physics Challenge, SMC, IMC and JMC and Silver certificates in Chemistry and Physics AS challenges

Hi, my son is going to apply for the same course.

Latest

Trending

Trending