The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by L'Evil Fish
I am indeed, for NatSci :biggrin:

Hmmmm... I think MAT is quite a lot easier, but STEP is much more fun :wink: as for mathematics, I think the Masters course at Cambridge is far superior to Oxford.

(Not a Cambridge Vs Oxford thing, it's just true for mathematics)

Come over to the Cambridge thread so I can ask which college and that :tongue:

Also check out the new connect pages and connect! It's under the 'Get Started' part and is called 'University Connect'

What about Part III do you find far superior to Part C?
Original post by Breex
Thanks guys! I think I know what I have to do now :smile: But regarding an internship at a law firm, I've still got a few questions:

-what did you do during your internship? To my understanding most firms only offer general clerical work (since we're just high school seniors)-- how do you relate that to law when talking about your experience? (esp. in your personal statement etc.)

-any general tips in the workplace?

Again, thank you so much!

Mine wasn't a proper internship since that's only allowed for law students. I followed two senior lawyers around the whole time and learned/saw what they did firsthand. Helped me understand what their work is like and they let me do some little menial tasks, nothing more :P

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Noble.
What about Part III do you find far superior to Part C?

Not me personally, just what I've read around online and in TSR.

Can't you do like the mathematics of a black hole and stuff in the Cambridge degree
Not me personally, just what I've read around online and in TSR.

Can't you do like the mathematics of a black hole and stuff in the Cambridge degree

You can probably do the same at Oxford with the physics options in fourth year (or even better, if someone decides to go down the MMathPhys stream they'll have plenty of mathematical physics options) - just because it's looking at black holes it doesn't mean the mathematics behind it is more challenging than 4th year level algebra or analysis (in fact, I'd hazard a guess the mathematics behind it isn't as challenging as many of the 4th year pure mathematics options)

The major difference between Part C and Part III lies in the fact that to do Part III you need a first, or a very high 2:1, whereas to continue onto Part C at Oxford you only need a 2:1. Both courses are designed with different cohorts in mind and in a lot of respects Part III is a precursor to a PhD, whereas that isn't the intention of Part C. That's what sets the overall Part III course on a higher level to Part C. That said, people at Oxford manage to go from Part C to doing a PhD at Cambridge over some of Cambridge's own Part III students, so the two can't really be leagues apart to a PhD calibre student.
Original post by alexmufc1995
Pembroke, via St. Johns. Just waiting on my results, then hopefully going to my tutor for more prep.
I had a look around Pembroke this morning, it's lovely!
Original post by fluteflute
I had a look around Pembroke this morning, it's lovely!

Awesome :biggrin: I didn't really get a good look around, as I was only there for 20 mins! :redface: Apparently the quadrangle is an Oxford 'hidden gem'?

Is it weird that almost everyone knows more about Oxford and the course I'm doing than me? I've pretty much avoided all of the Oxford related websites, so as not to get my hopes up before results day :s-smilie:
Original post by scavi2008
Most of the successful applications for History seem to have had at least 7 A*s, if not higher. Will this affect my application?

I don't have an offer for history, but PPE is around the same in terms of competition. I had 2A*s at GCSE. 5A*s is a much stronger position than I was in.

I think you've got to be honest to yourself and admit that having less than the average by a significant amount is going to harm your application. It means you have to work even harder at all the other areas to show what a good candidate you are. I'd guess you're in the tolerance zone of what they're expecting GCSE-wise, so you're in a pretty good position relative to me. What you've got to do now is work your socks off to compensate for any doubts that may arise because of those two missing A*s, and there'll be as good a chance as any of you getting through.

People can overvalue their GCSEs in their app. One of the profs I'll hopefully be studying under told me he was more interested in seeing if the candidate was showing improvement and development.
Original post by Alex_Aits
Funnily enough, I know someone with exactly 5A*s studying history at Christ Church (just about to go into his final year.) That said, he is an exceptional historian, so as long as you can portray a similar image you still have as good a chance as any! Just show the interviewers that you love history and hope for the best!

That's such a coincedence! Thank you for the lovely reply, hopefully I'll (try to) give off that impression & do my best :biggrin:
Original post by Expert #7451
I don't have an offer for history, but PPE is around the same in terms of competition. I had 2A*s at GCSE. 5A*s is a much stronger position than I was in.

I think you've got to be honest to yourself and admit that having less than the average by a significant amount is going to harm your application. It means you have to work even harder at all the other areas to show what a good candidate you are. I'd guess you're in the tolerance zone of what they're expecting GCSE-wise, so you're in a pretty good position relative to me. What you've got to do now is work your socks off to compensate for any doubts that may arise because of those two missing A*s, and there'll be as good a chance as any of you getting through.

People can overvalue their GCSEs in their app. One of the profs I'll hopefully be studying under told me he was more interested in seeing if the candidate was showing improvement and development.

Thanks so much for the great advice! I'll make sure to try my best to make up for fewer A*s, I think you're right - potential is what they're looking for. I'm really determined to give it my best shot and I've already built up quite a good foundation of History-related experience and extra curriculars, so now just to read my stacks of wider reading :')
Can anyone give me ideas on which of the three options I should choose as my A Level - I want to do medicine in university

Option 1) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , Computer Science

Option 2) - Biology , Chemistry , Maths , English Literature

Option 3) - Biology , Chemistry , Computer Science , English Literature

If you have any other advice I should take I'd happily take it , however i don't want to do physics at all so any ideas please , thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Erica_dss
Can anyone give me ideas on which of the three options I should choose as my A Level - I want to do medicine in university

If you have any other advice I should take I'd happily take it , however i don't want to do physics at all so any ideas please , thanks guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

1 or 2

Which do you prefer of lit and compsci?
Both of them.. What one would look good for a med student?

Posted from TSR Mobile
1 or 2

Which do you prefer of lit and compsci?

Both which would look better as a med student ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

If anything maybe English Lit, just cause it's more academic/traditional. I don't think it'll matter too much though. Maybe just pick the one you'll do best in?
Original post by KombatWombat
If anything maybe English Lit, just cause it's more academic/traditional. I don't think it'll matter too much though. Maybe just pick the one you'll do best in?

I think I'll choose english literature , it will probably help with essay skills i guess

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lit is probably more well known
Lit is probably more well known

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say option 2, probably because the skills that you get from CompSci at A level are not as good as the skills that you get from English lit, for medicine thatis. That said, as we are in the oxford thread ill take it as you will be applying there for 2016 entry. Knowing this, you'll have to take the BMAT, and having English lit could help you massively with section 3, as you'll develop essay skills in English lit.
Enjoyment wise, I'd take computer science, I haven't done it because my school did not offer it anymore, but I had my fun on codeacademy and codes hook, so if the A level is anything like that, you should go for it.
Ps. An advice? If you are thinking of Oxbridge I'd advise you to consider physics also :smile:

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk
Original post by Hectors
I would say option 2, probably because the skills that you get from CompSci at A level are not as good as the skills that you get from English lit, for medicine thatis. That said, as we are in the oxford thread ill take it as you will be applying there for 2016 entry. Knowing this, you'll have to take the BMAT, and having English lit could help you massively with section 3, as you'll develop essay skills in English lit.
Enjoyment wise, I'd take computer science, I haven't done it because my school did not offer it anymore, but I had my fun on codeacademy and codes hook, so if the A level is anything like that, you should go for it.
Ps. An advice? If you are thinking of Oxbridge I'd advise you to consider physics also :smile:

Sent from my Lumia 710 using Tapatalk

Thank you , I think I will be doing English literature , it's the best choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by alexmufc1995
Awesome :biggrin: I didn't really get a good look around, as I was only there for 20 mins! :redface: Apparently the quadrangle is an Oxford 'hidden gem'?

Is it weird that almost everyone knows more about Oxford and the course I'm doing than me? I've pretty much avoided all of the Oxford related websites, so as not to get my hopes up before results day :s-smilie:

Yeah I think the 'hidden gem' terminology is applicable :biggrin: It looks lovely, but I previously had no clue of its existence!

Latest

Trending

Trending