The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxy Boy
But the proportion of high quality applicants for Computer Science is greater than that for Engineering.

Who told you that?
Original post by Oxy Boy
The stats, lol

Oh dear. I swear the applicants are getting more and more clueless :rofl:
Original post by Lucilou101
Nobody ever has a fully equal interest in both :wink:

But I do! :biggrin:
Original post by Oxy Boy
The stats, lol

No, they say that a higher percentage received offers. It makes no comment on the quality of applicants
Original post by Oxy Boy
But I do! :biggrin:

If you had an equal interest - why did you come on here saying you were applying for CS and not ES?
Original post by Sic semper erat
Who told you that?

The stats :tongue:
No, they say that a higher percentage received offers. It makes no comment on the quality of applicants

It does not say clearly but it sure suggests that Computer Science is harder to get into.
Original post by Oxy Boy
The stats :tongue:

Yeah, whatever.. lol!
Original post by Oxy Boy
It does not say clearly but it sure suggests that Computer Science is harder to get into.

A lot of prestigious courses get their stats skewed by the international applicants seduced by the Oxford name into applying without really being suitable or not fully understanding the applications process properly...
Original post by AKell17
A lot of prestigious courses get their stats skewed by the international applicants seduced by the Oxford name into applying without really being suitable or not fully understanding the applications process properly...

May be you're right but there is no guarantee that your hypothesis is true
Original post by Oxy Boy
May be you're right but there is no guarantee that your hypothesis is true

He is right. :wink:
If you had an equal interest - why did you come on here saying you were applying for CS and not ES?

Ok, let me explain, my real interest lies in Robotics. Since Oxford does not have an undergrad course on Robotics I've to choose between CS and ES so that I can do Masters on Robotics later. I love physics, maths and computing, so I am pretty sure I will be more than happy to study either of the courses for 3 years!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Cantabcyte
Greetings folks, I have not noticed a thread for prospective oxford students of 2015... So I decided to make one now!
This is specifically for those who are submitting their application during October 2014. (In which you would get your reply in 2015)
:smile:
Feel free to share details!
Course:
College:
GCSEs:
A Level Subjects:
Anything else relevant:
Home/International Candidate

Course: Biology
GCSE: I got 7 A's and 4 A*'s and 1 B. I was 1 mark of an A* in Physics and Chemistry unfortunately. Because I did my maths GCSE early I also did an additional maths qualification called (FSMQ) in a year and got a B in year 11. (It's basically an easy AS maths qualification).
Subjects: Biology, Mathematics, English literature & language, Geography
I have only completed AS (yet to complete A2) and got AAAB. (B in maths- 4 marks off an A)

I still feel like an unworthy candidate. What do you guys think? Please be honest because it will only be for the best.
Original post by Noble.
He is right. :wink:

who told you?
Original post by Hestia Demeter
GCSE: I got 7 A's and 4 A*'s and 1 B. I was 1 mark of an A* in Physics and Chemistry unfortunately. Because I did my maths GCSE early I also did an additional maths qualification called (FSMQ) in a year and got a B in year 11. (It's basically an easy AS maths qualification).
I have only completed AS (yet to complete A2) and got AAAB. (B in maths- 4 marks off an A)

I still feel like an unworthy candidate. What do you guys think? Please be honest because it will only be for the best.

Your GCSEs are okay, your AS grades are fine. The interview will be the most important factor :smile:
Original post by Oxy Boy
who told you?

No-one.
Original post by Oxy Boy
who told you?

He's a current student who's spent the summer doing an internship that revolves around Oxford admissions statistics...

Which course are you planning to apply for?

And for the college, I haven't got that far into it yet, I'm still considering if I should apply. I know I'm up against hard competition and don't really want to waste a choice applying. However I really need guidance and advice. Unfortunately my teachers are terrible and haven't really assisted me in choosing the correct universities. So I humbly leave it in your hands...
Original post by Oxy Boy
Which course are you planning to apply for?

It literally says Course: Biology at the top :lol:

Latest

Trending

Trending