The Student Room Group

Cardio vs. Weights - how come people are saying weights are better?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Nichrome
I think this 'LISS burns muscle' thing is really overstated. You really have to take cardio to extremes (i.e. 7 marathons in 7 days with not much food) to burn significant amounts of muscle.

It's obvious in many people's transformations who exclusively run mid-long distance for their exercise that LISS isn't great for muscle. They end up skinny fat.
Original post by tooosh
It's obvious in many people's transformations who exclusively run mid-long distance for their exercise that LISS isn't great for muscle. They end up skinny fat.

That's usually because they don't lift, at least not properly, and have a diet consisting almost exclusively of carbohydrates with very little protein.
Reply 22
Original post by Scoobiedoobiedo
That's usually because they don't lift, at least not properly, and have a diet consisting almost exclusively of carbohydrates with very little protein.

True. Still though, if I could only pick one form of exercise to help me lose weight it wouldn't be LISS.

Oh and I didn't mean (or say) that LISS causes muscle wastage, significant or not. Just that it doesn't help to preserve muscle on a deficit in any way whereas HIIT and lifting directly do.
Reply 23
I don't know why either. I've lost 50lbs in the last year and a half and never felt the need to lift. I box, run, stretch and do reps which packs on just enough muscle to be toned but not so much that it looks like I try hard.
Reply 24
Original post by tooosh

Well yes, but it's likely they didn't have much muscle to begin with and as you say, only run. Most serious long distance runners I know are just skinny and not skinny fat. It's more a consequence of that being the ideal physique for their sport.

If you look at swimmers and rowers, athletes who also do huge amounts of LISS cardio, they are mostly pretty big guys and seem to preserve their muscle just fine. I think saying cardio doesn't 'preserve' muscle or burns it is a bit false really, it's more running a large calorie deficit for an extended period of time that doesn't preserve muscle.

Anyway threads like this are stupid, both do different things and one is not inherently better than the other. People should combine both in different ratios depending on what their goals are.

EDIT: Nevermind, just seen your other post. Fair enough.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 25
Well, whatever. I lost 20kg (3.1St), from 96 to 76kg over 5 months through cardio only and I wasen't even trying to loose weight.
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by euphrosyne
So say I want to lose approximately 20 pounds by August (is that an okay target?),

It's often recommended that you don't lose more than 2 pounds a week. 20 pounds by August would be an average of around 0.8 pounds, so yeah.

Original post by euphrosyne
Some say HIIT is useless, some say the lifting is useless, some say that running long distances (which is what I usually do) is useless, so arghhh I don't know anymore! My plan is to try and run at least 6km on alternate days, but I don't want to do that if that's not going to help :rolleyes:

Scientific journals provide much more reliable info than idiots on the internet. I just read through this paper about HIIT:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2991639/

I'm pretty confused too by the way... but hopefully I wont be after reading through some of the other papers. :colondollar:
Original post by The Socktor

I'm pretty confused too by the way... but hopefully I wont be after reading through some of the other papers. :colondollar:

How about, instead of trying to read and understand the abstracts of random papers that will likely have no real relevance to your situation you just go do whatever (hard) exercise you want in a consistent and semi-structured manner and eat less/more and better.

Probably sounds harsh and my intention wasn't to offend- I just really don't understand why people (generally on the internet) have this fascination with papers and stuff. Getting into better shape is literally the most simple thing ever.
Reply 28
Original post by inniz
I heard somebody on the TV say that weights are better because the body adjusts to higher cardio levels. but then....er...move beyond your comfort zone, right? lol.. haha..

the same is true with weights, in a way. you still have to maintain training to keep your muscles trim/active. and with cardio or weights, you have to watch your diet/calorie intake anyhow. Weight training can't have too much fats.

...what?
Original post by Pegasus2
Well, whatever. I lost 20kg (3.1St), from 96 to 76kg over 5 months through cardio only and I wasen't even trying to loose weight.

How much muscle did you lose?
I go gym to sculpt my body.
It is a process of adding mass and also removing bad mass.
To gain mass, i stimulate the muscles with weights. Over time the tension required to stimulate the same muscle must increase, so the weight i lift increase.

Now once i stimulate the muscles, I must help them grow via dieting. I must consume a caloric surplus, that will enable be to gain 0.5kg each week. The mass I will gain will be both muscle and a bit of fat. So once I reach my desirable size, I will have some unwanted fat on me.
So then I cut, caloric deficit + weights + cardio, this will help me lose mass whilst keeping a large percentage of muscle.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by ROONEY-9-MUTD
How much muscle did you lose?

Probably none since I was building it though the exercise I was doing? I wasen't exactly he-man before or after but my times went down at the same time. I lost a lot of stored fat. I've got before and after pics of it but I don't really fancy posting them to tsr.
Probably none since I was building it though the exercise I was doing? I wasen't exactly he-man before or after but my times went down at the same time. I lost a lot of stored fat. I've got before and after pics of it but I don't really fancy posting them to tsr.

That's not how it works. Lots of cardio + calorific deficit = probably around half of the weight lost being muscle.

Hell, even bodybuilders who are doing a ton of weights when they're dieting to lose fat still lose significant amounts of muscle. When you lose weight some of it will be muscle. Weight training can keep the loss in check, but LISS cardio actively exacerbates muscle loss.

Admittedly, you lost the weight at a reasonable pace, which means you avoided the destructive catabolism many extreme dieters face. And no doubt as you lost fat your bodyfat percentage went down, which would make the muscle you had more visible. But yea, it would be miraculous if you didn't lose a decent amount of muscle when you lost weight like that.
Reply 33
Original post by Rinsed
That's not how it works. Lots of cardio + calorific deficit = probably around half of the weight lost being muscle.

Hell, even bodybuilders who are doing a ton of weights when they're dieting to lose fat still lose significant amounts of muscle. When you lose weight some of it will be muscle. Weight training can keep the loss in check, but LISS cardio actively exacerbates muscle loss.

Admittedly, you lost the weight at a reasonable pace, which means you avoided the destructive catabolism many extreme dieters face. And no doubt as you lost fat your bodyfat percentage went down, which would make the muscle you had more visible. But yea, it would be miraculous if you didn't lose a decent amount of muscle when you lost weight like that.

I had very little to start with. It's difficult to lose somthing you don't have to begin with. I still don't have much now, i've never been the muscle type. I'm not a bodybuilder, so size/visibility doesn't matter, what matters are the figures on the stopwatch, they were coming down, so that's ok. I wasen't trying to loose weight, I just didn't eat enough. currently I eat anything and everything and that just about maintains my current weight of 82kg.

You know that repeating an excersize causes adaption right? The repedative motion of cycling, running or rowing is similar to weights in that you're essentially doing 500 seated rows one after another. I can't really equate cycling but I guess split squats would be the closest. Along with greater CV capacity and cardiac muscle growth. It's silly to suggest you won't build any muscle doing cardio physical exercise, by that premise people would waste away into nothing, which just isn't true as long as they eat enough.

Some GB lightweight athletes I know don't do weights at all, yet are ovbviously good enough to attain that high level needed solely by the cardio work they do.

Muscle stores are generally only broken down as a last resort when either there is no more fat to be broken down and muscle glycogen stores are depleated.
I had very little to start with. It's difficult to lose somthing you don't have to begin with. I still don't have much now, i've never been the muscle type. I'm not a bodybuilder, so size/visibility doesn't matter, what matters are the figures on the stopwatch, they were coming down, so that's ok. I wasen't trying to loose weight, I just didn't eat enough. currently I eat anything and everything and that just about maintains my current weight of 82kg.

Ok.

You know that repeating an excersize causes adaption right? The repedative motion of cycling, running or rowing is similar to weights in that you're essentially doing 500 seated rows one after another. I can't really equate cycling but I guess split squats would be the closest. Along with greater CV capacity and cardiac muscle growth. It's silly to suggest you won't build any muscle doing cardio physical exercise, by that premise people would waste away into nothing, which just isn't true as long as they eat enough.

Except that 500 seated rows in a row would be a terrible rep range for muscle growth. You are right, exercise causes adaptation, but the limiting factor in that sort of exercise is not how big and strong the muscle is, but how quickly your body can funnel nutrients to it, and waste products from it. Now, that is something that may well be worth training for, but that is the only adaptation you would see.

Now for something like long distance running, your body looks at your muscles and says 'Gee, it sure is tiring lugging these things around. They're not even applying much force, just a weak force over and over, so it would be much more efficient it they were smaller'. That's adaptation for you, which again is why long distance runners are skinny. Sprinters, on the other hand, need to apply a large amount of force to the ground with each step, which is why they are ripped.

The last sentence is a non sequitur. People doing no exercise at all do not waste away into nothing, that is simply not how the body works. Indeed, if you just sat on your arse and ate, you'd gain muscle. Probably a lot of fat too, but muscle nonetheless.

Some GB lightweight athletes I know don't do weights at all, yet are ovbviously good enough to attain that high level needed solely by the cardio work they do.

Muscle stores are generally only broken down as a last resort when either there is no more fat to be broken down and muscle glycogen stores are depleated.

Some people are big, lean and muscular despite doing next to no exercise at all.

Ergo, you do not need to exercise.

Also that last sentence may be true during exercise, but it speaks nothing as to the effects exercise has afterwards, which is when all significant physiological adaptations take place.
Reply 35
Every post i've read on this seems to present a different view, but the overriding theme from people is that Cardio is only useful if you're doing HIIT or general interval stuff. I run 40-50 miles a week (I'm currently marathon training, did 17 miles today) and have very respectable 10K and HM pb's for my age (18). Given the distances I'm covering it's obviously not high intensity, but I challenge anyone on here to say they're fitter than me because they do HIIT or lift, in my current shape i'm something of a machine. Apparently real men don't use treadmills, they lift, but I'd like to see these "real men" go at my pace and not fall off the damn thing. Running long distance is a massively beneficial activity for health, and is just as tough as lifting, probably more so (how cold does it get in the gym?), why is everyone so disparaging about it???

Rant over
If you're looking for a good body, do some form of weight training a few times a week:

If you're looking to lose fat, add cardio and eat less.

If you're looking to gain weight, eat more.

It's really not complicated :wink:
(edited 10 years ago)
Original post by F.R.A.W.A
Every post i've read on this seems to present a different view, but the overriding theme from people is that Cardio is only useful if you're doing HIIT or general interval stuff. I run 40-50 miles a week (I'm currently marathon training, did 17 miles today) and have very respectable 10K and HM pb's for my age (18). Given the distances I'm covering it's obviously not high intensity, but I challenge anyone on here to say they're fitter than me because they do HIIT or lift, in my current shape i'm something of a machine. Apparently real men don't use treadmills, they lift, but I'd like to see these "real men" go at my pace and not fall off the damn thing. Running long distance is a massively beneficial activity for health, and is just as tough as lifting, probably more so (how cold does it get in the gym?), why is everyone so disparaging about it???

Rant over

Granted, but we're not talking about improving fitness here mate - we're simply discussing exercise for fat loss.
Entirely depends on what your goals are.
Original post by F.R.A.W.A

Rant over

Yh man, go get that Mo Farah physique. :congrats:

Quick Reply

Latest