The Student Room Group

I want to drop A2 Spanish and need some advice!

Hi everyone. I need some advice. I am studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production, with a predicted D*D*D*.

I also study A level spanish on the side. I have recently received 3/5 uni offers, two of which are my firm and insurance choice. Their requirements are MMM from my BTEC but there is no mention of requirements for my Spanish A Level. I got an A in AS Spanish.

Now I want to drop A2. I don't want to rant but the lessons are making me miserable and I love the language! I'm at a point where I don't actually care what grade I get in the A2 exam, which is definitely out of character. I'm one of those students where if I miss one homework (never having ever missed one), I will be chastised for it. Yet the people who frequently never do their homework never get told off?

Knowing I have the lesson the next day brings a whole downer on my day and I don't want my final months at a college I really love to be affected by this subject.

What do you think I should do?

Thanks in advance.
Original post by JasminJ
Hi everyone. I need some advice. I am studying a BTEC Extended Diploma in Creative Media Production, with a predicted D*D*D*.

I also study A level spanish on the side. I have recently received 3/5 uni offers, two of which are my firm and insurance choice. Their requirements are MMM from my BTEC but there is no mention of requirements for my Spanish A Level. I got an A in AS Spanish.

Now I want to drop A2. I don't want to rant but the lessons are making me miserable and I love the language! I'm at a point where I don't actually care what grade I get in the A2 exam, which is definitely out of character. I'm one of those students where if I miss one homework (never having ever missed one), I will be chastised for it. Yet the people who frequently never do their homework never get told off?

Knowing I have the lesson the next day brings a whole downer on my day and I don't want my final months at a college I really love to be affected by this subject.

Thanks in advance.

You only have 4 months left of teaching really. A language A level is a very impressive thing to have, it will make you stand out from the rest. You say you got an A in AS - that proves you are obviously good at it (most people in my class got Es and Us for AS even if they got A at GCSE) and are hardworking. Why waste that knowledge by giving up the subject? You won't have anything to prove you speak a high level of Spanish. AS is good to have, but still, A2 is better.

And you say you're chastised for not doing homework? That probably means your teacher believes in you.

I honestly would recommend you not to drop it.
Original post by JasminJ

Thanks in advance.

If it's really getting you down and so you don't think you'll work for it, I agree you're probably best dropping it. An A at AS is great so you should be proud of that! I'd suggest emailing your universities and asking if they'd mind if you drop it (and I'm sure they won't as it's not part of your offers). Should they say yes, speak to the right person at your college and explain the situation :smile: your predicted grades are excellent and without Spanish, you'll be able to work towards them more and achieve those grades :smile:

Best of luck :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Original post by Carpe Vinum
You only have 4 months left of teaching really. A language A level is a very impressive thing to have, it will make you stand out from the rest. You say you got an A in AS - that proves you are obviously good at it (most people in my class got Es and Us for AS even if they got A at GCSE) and are hardworking. Why waste that knowledge by giving up the subject? You won't have anything to prove you speak a high level of Spanish. AS is good to have, but still, A2 is better.

And you say you're chastised for not doing homework? That probably means your teacher believes in you.

I honestly would recommend you not to drop it.

Thank you for your advice. I understand where you are coming from about not long to go but I honestly don't think qualifications really prove anything. I mean, I'd learn Spanish by living in the country (not just the language, but the culture as well). I mean, hoping I succeed in the film industry, employers aren't going to ask "did you get a good grade in A level spanish? Yes? Well that must mean you are good at the language and therefore can speak to my spanish client here" I should also add that I am quarter Spanish (my nan is Spanish) and so I speak it with her alot. I'm by no means perfect at speaking (I tell everyone I'm semi-fluent hahaha!) I just honestly don't know... :frown:
Reply 4
Original post by Lucy96
If it's really getting you down and so you don't think you'll work for it, I agree you're probably best dropping it. An A at AS is great so you should be proud of that! I'd suggest emailing your universities and asking if they'd mind if you drop it (and I'm sure they won't as it's not part of your offers). Should they say yes, speak to the right person at your college and explain the situation :smile: your predicted grades are excellent and without Spanish, you'll be able to work towards them more and achieve those grades :smile:

Best of luck :h:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you for your advice. Yes that's exactly my reasoning! Without Spanish 3 times a week (please let me add that no other additional subject at my college has their ADDITIONAL subject more than their main) I'd not only have more time to focus on excelling in my main and chosen career-related subject, I will also have time to fit a part-time job into my schedule and start saving a bit of money. I think it would upset me more if I stayed on to study it and ended up failing the exam at the end because I always try my hardest to succeed and sometimes this plays against me because teachers now "expect" so much from me.
Original post by JasminJ
Thank you for your advice. I understand where you are coming from about not long to go but I honestly don't think qualifications really prove anything. I mean, I'd learn Spanish by living in the country (not just the language, but the culture as well). I mean, hoping I succeed in the film industry, employers aren't going to ask "did you get a good grade in A level spanish? Yes? Well that must mean you are good at the language and therefore can speak to my spanish client here" I should also add that I am quarter Spanish (my nan is Spanish) and so I speak it with her alot. I'm by no means perfect at speaking (I tell everyone I'm semi-fluent hahaha!) I just honestly don't know... :frown:

I wouldn't say qualifications don't prove anything - if that was the case universities wouldn't give a monkeys about what grades or subjects people had! I was always told by my teachers that language A2s are very highly looked upon. Nobody does them. My school's German department shut down because nobody took German, and one of the 2 Spanish teachers was laid off because there wasn't enough funding for the department. It's ridiculous. Nobody in this country does languages, which is why having an A level in one is very respected.

I would agree that qualifications aren't everything. But, employers will see the extra A level as proof you have an extra skill (and Spanish is a very useful language to have!) and it will also show your willingness to work hard outside your main subject.

If you really don't enjoy your A level course (but honestly I would recommend you to stick with it!!!), you could consider doing a DELE - a diploma of Spanish as a foreign language (here's the website: http://www.dele.org/).

I may seem like I'm going on at you but seriously, languages are an excellent thing to have on the side. I've been able to gain work experience abroad because of my knowledge of a foreign language - and only because I had a certificate to prove it. It's one thing being able to speak the language with your family, but actually having a qualification in it is different.
Reply 6
Original post by Carpe Vinum
I wouldn't say qualifications don't prove anything - if that was the case universities wouldn't give a monkeys about what grades or subjects people had! I was always told by my teachers that language A2s are very highly looked upon. Nobody does them. My school's German department shut down because nobody took German, and one of the 2 Spanish teachers was laid off because there wasn't enough funding for the department. It's ridiculous. Nobody in this country does languages, which is why having an A level in one is very respected.

I would agree that qualifications aren't everything. But, employers will see the extra A level as proof you have an extra skill (and Spanish is a very useful language to have!) and it will also show your willingness to work hard outside your main subject.

If you really don't enjoy your A level course (but honestly I would recommend you to stick with it!!!), you could consider doing a DELE - a diploma of Spanish as a foreign language (here's the website: http://www.dele.org/).

I may seem like I'm going on at you but seriously, languages are an excellent thing to have on the side. I've been able to gain work experience abroad because of my knowledge of a foreign language - and only because I had a certificate to prove it. It's one thing being able to speak the language with your family, but actually having a qualification in it is different.

You raised very good points and I think you've persuaded me to stick with it. It's just grating on me that as a "perfect, well-behaved, always-a-pleasure-to-teach" student who has always worked hard to get good grades now almost doesn't care? The problem isn't the A level itself, of course I'd love the full qualification, that's why I chose to do it. It's the lessons...and the teacher is really grating on me too. Every single day after the lesson without fail I'm at home ranting and raving about how much I hate Spanish, but it's not Spanish I hate. I guess I'm just rambling now but I just don't know how to approach the lessons with a positive attitude. They really do just make me miserable. It's not a coincidence that I have the lesson tomorrow and I posted this thread today.

I'm trying to think of possible alternatives, studying the subject in my own time or 1-1 with a different teacher and dropping the lessons (I have an amazing teacher in mind but I'm sure she has classes to teach). I brought this up end of last year with her. She said if I did stop coming to the lessons, I'd be an external student and have to sit the exam elsewhere (which didn't actually bother me too much). I don't feel like I'm learning anything I couldn't learn myself studying independently in the library? In fact, I'd probably learn more because most of class waste the whole time asking questions, going off-topic...I sound so complain-y. I'm normally someone who grits their teeth and gets on with it but I'm getting tired of not standing up and saying what I feel.

Quick Reply

Latest