The Student Room Group

A level choices help!!

Hi, I’m starting sixth form in september and my a level choices are chemistry, biology, and maths (wanting to study medicine). Recently, I’ve been considering doing a fourth - either further maths or spanish. I really enjoyed both at gcse. Does anyone have any advice/ past experiences that might help me decide which one if any? I want to go to a top uni so would doing something like spanish differentiate me from the many other people doing bio, chem, and maths? Any advice really would help! Thank you

(For context, I’ve done most of the first year of a level maths already so I’ve been told I would really enjoy fm)
Reply 1
@TypicalNerd Got one for you here.
Original post by hazeloriana
Hi, I’m starting sixth form in september and my a level choices are chemistry, biology, and maths (wanting to study medicine). Recently, I’ve been considering doing a fourth - either further maths or spanish. I really enjoyed both at gcse. Does anyone have any advice/ past experiences that might help me decide which one if any? I want to go to a top uni so would doing something like spanish differentiate me from the many other people doing bio, chem, and maths? Any advice really would help! Thank you

(For context, I’ve done most of the first year of a level maths already so I’ve been told I would really enjoy fm)

You only really need three A levels including chemistry and biology and you happen to already be taking both.

I would honestly recommend that you stick with just the three A levels you are taking and don’t pick up a fourth, because you will have an easier time ensuring you get three strong grades.

If you do decide to take a fourth, I’d say further maths is a safer bet as it will give you more practice with algebra, calculus etc overall and this may even boost your marks in ordinary maths. Plus, you can always study Spanish on something like duolingo as a hobby.

Another thing to note: because all med schools in the UK are accredited by the GMC, they are all considered equal. I wouldn’t worry about getting into one of the “top” unis for medicine. You should also bear in mind taking an extra A level offers no real benefit to your application - it will NOT make it stronger.
(edited 8 months ago)
Original post by hazeloriana

Hi @hazeloriana,

I'm a second-year at uni but when I started in year 12, I was also on 4 A-levels. For me, the right decision was to drop down to 3 so I had more time to focus on the subjects I needed most. However, it took a lot of thought so that I could make an informed decision. Ultimately, the choice comes down to your personal interests, strengths and future goals. Here are some things I thought about/ did

Reflect on your interests: Consider which subject excites you the most and aligns well with your long-term goals. Both Further Maths and Spanish have their own advantages, so think about where your true passions lie.
Consider University Requirements: Research the universities you're interested in applying to for medicine. Check their entry requirements and any additional preferences they might have. Some universities might have specific preferences for subjects.
Consult Teachers: Talk to your teachers, especially those in Chemistry, Biology, and Maths. They might provide insights into how each subject would align with your current coursework and long-term plans.
Think about Balance: Consider your workload and how much time you can spend on each subject. You'll want to ensure you can manage your A-level workload effectively.
Plan for fun: Remember that while considering university requirements is important, enjoying your A-level subjects is crucial for success. If you genuinely enjoy the subject, you're likely to do better in it.
Future Benefits: Think not only about the immediate advantages of each subject but also about the skills and knowledge you'll gain that could benefit you in your medical career.

Good luck with deciding
-Beth (Lancaster Student Ambassador)

Quick Reply

Latest