The Student Room Group

Let's keep talking - Time To Talk Day - let's talk about mental health

Scroll to see replies

Original post by HBPrincess
Something to get the ball rolling...

When you hear the words 'mental health' or 'mental illness', what do you think of/about?

:hi:

In answer to your question, I tend to think about my friends - at the current count, I have precisely one friend who is not mentally ill (and even she is strongly affected by mental illness, her mother being suspected bipolar), and a zillion friends who are/have been mentally ill!

Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Some are really casual, stuff like OCD has become a commonplace thing to say for anyone who even tidies their house or puts away the dishes. It's a blessing and a curse, because it means that it has increased awareness but at the same time it's often taken less seriously.

Alot of things that are certified mental health issues are seen as cash cows, the ADHD drug that pharmaceutical companies produce being a clear example. Whilst it's been proven to be a real problem, over awareness of it has belittled the disorder and it's become something of a running joke.

Then there's the stuff that is popularly misrepresented. The one that immediately springs to mind is multiple personality disorder - which is not the same as schizophrenia. Alot of films, literature, and even cartoons have portrayed it for hundreds of years now, sometimes with gravity, and others with levity. But there's never any real popular desire for education to be done on it.

I think that we have sex education as a standardised thing in schools, and we have racial awareness periods in which children are taught cultural history.

Would it really be so difficult to have a mental health awareness week in which popular myths about mental health disorders are pre-emptively debunked?

I've been talking to some TSR high-up people about celebrating Mental Health Awareness Week (in May), and I'm happy to say it's most likely going ahead! :biggrin:

Personally I've had mental health problems going back years, probably since I was around 17. It started with depression, which is a perennial problem for me, but I also get anxiety related to the depression, and an occasional touch of alcohol-related psychosis (just for added fun! :tongue:). I try to be as open about my MH problems as I can, in order to encourage others to do the same and reduce stigma, so I think this thread is a great idea. :yep:
one thing that I would like it to add is over prescribed medication for mental health disorders, I really wish doctors would stop giving out pills to patients with anxiety or mild depression who don't really need it. And instead they come out with therapy sessions with psychologists. However, I am not sure how it works in UK but here in Canada, if you go to your GP and tell them you are suffering from anxiety, you get prescribed with xanax and thats the end of it. Well this is based on my personal experience. I was against taking xanax as I really don't like to take medications so I asked if they could refer me to a psychologist but my request was declined as "i wasn't in a critical condition".

Also,
most psychologist are very expensive if you go to them privately. If there were any places that offered talk sessions or anything along that lines for people who are suffering from anxiety and depression, I think that be a major help to the people like me who don't want to take any medications.
Reply 22
If anyone wants to ask any questions about mental health but felt uneasy doing so, this is the time to ask! If anyone has a burning question, particularly about depression or anxiety, i'll answer (if it's sensible!) as i suffer/have suffered from both at various times in my life.
Original post by PonchoKid
I really hope this thread gets seen by everyone on TSR today as there is SO much stigma around mental health that every single barrier no matter how big or small needs breaking down!

Posted from TSR Mobile

We've promoted this thread on the home page in one of the pods - we really hope everyone sees it too.
Reply 24
Original post by She-RaBrighton
Brilliant stuff :smile: Thank you for setting this up!

Mental illness is nothing to be ashamed of - if you broke your leg you wouldn't be ashamed, or embarrassed or feel you couldn't talk about it.

We've all had our moments of feeling a little blue and sometimes due to a number of stressful times impacting on our lives those blue times can become a few shades darker and become more prolonged. But by supporting one another through those moments, days, weeks, months or years those navy blue times can eventually become brighter and brighter.

So let's talk about it :smile:

phototimetotalk.JPG

So if we're encouraged to talk about anything then why won't you let us discuss unjust warning points on TSR?
Original post by PandaPangaea
one thing that I would like it to add is over prescribed medication for mental health disorders, I really wish doctors would stop giving out pills to patients with anxiety or mild depression who don't really need it. And instead they come out with therapy sessions with psychologists. However, I am not sure how it works in UK but here in Canada, if you go to your GP and tell them you are suffering from anxiety, you get prescribed with xanax and thats the end of it. Well this is based on my personal experience. I was against taking xanax as I really don't like to take medications so I asked if they could refer me to a psychologist but my request was declined as "i wasn't in a critical condition".

Also,
most psychologist are very expensive if you go to them privately. If there were any places that offered talk sessions or anything along that lines for people who are suffering from anxiety and depression, I think that be a major help to the people like me who don't want to take any medications.

Good point. :yep: Although antidepressants and anti-anxiety meds can work wonders, especially in more severe cases, they're all-too-often prescribed even when they're not particularly suitable, because it's cheaper than arranging therapy. In an ideal world patients would be offered a range of treatments, and be guided to make an informed choice for themselves about treatment. :smile:

In the UK there are some charities which offer talking treatments, and you can often get to see a counsellor through uni if you're a student - might be something worth looking into in your country too?
Original post by Hal.E.Lujah
Some are really casual, stuff like OCD has become a commonplace thing to say for anyone who even tidies their house or puts away the dishes. It's a blessing and a curse, because it means that it has increased awareness but at the same time it's often taken less seriously.

Then there's the stuff that is popularly misrepresented. The one that immediately springs to mind is multiple personality disorder - which is not the same as schizophrenia. Alot of films, literature, and even cartoons have portrayed it for hundreds of years now, sometimes with gravity, and others with levity. But there's never any real popular desire for education to be done on it.

I think that we have sex education as a standardised thing in schools, and we have racial awareness periods in which children are taught cultural history.

Would it really be so difficult to have a mental health awareness week in which popular myths about mental health disorders are pre-emptively debunked?

I agree with you with regards to the blessings and curses of awareness - whilst it has been brought to the public eye, the sheer lack of education and/or misinformation, I believe, is a key reason for ignorance, trivialisation and discrimination.
Certainly more needs to be done in schools to educate people - a problem is that even many teachers are quite ignorant and misinformed....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Unfortunately when I think of "mental illness" I think of silly teenagers self-diagnosing because they think it's cool/have been feeling sad about boys/hate their parents etc. I think a lot of people have this image when they hear it too, which makes them automatically switch off, ultimately to the detriment of real MH issues and causes.
Original post by Kiss
So if we're encouraged to talk about anything then why won't you let us discuss unjust warning points on TSR?

Oh for a neg button... :rolleyes:

This thread is for discussing mental health issues, which can be serious and life-destroying. The same really seriously cannot be said about unjust warning points.
I agree - there is nowhere near enough education on mental health.

Much more needs to be done, I mean it is just as important as physical health and sexual health, and (most) schools delivers lessons on this. The only 'education' the public get on the mental health is via the media - and more often than not mental health is portrayed in a derogatory and discriminatory way - although I think that this has slightly improved recently.

Agreed. I had depression in Year 13 and had no idea what to do. I also hid it for fear of judgmental comments, etc.

When I moved to uni, I experienced really bad depression, which my hallmates found out about. Their responses were really unhelpful - they constantly told me how easy it is to get help. If it was that easy to admit I was ill, I would have done it when I first told to before it got to the stage it did. Unfortunately for me, it was all they talked to me. Is it really unreasonable to want to discuss other things?:frown:

I remember a cousin of mine making a rant on Facebook. She'd just been diagnosed as Bi Polar (I think) and some of her "friends" decided they didn't want to be friends with her anymore.:mad:

I've found this. I have OCD (although, I wonder if it's really just a severe sensory issue, rather than OCD) and found people do say things like this. And then there's people who claim to have depression, when it's just sadness.
Something to get the ball rolling...

When you hear the words 'mental health' or 'mental illness', what do you think of/about?

Normal people.

I have MH problems myself, as do lots of my friends, so I just think of mental health the same way someone thinks of a physical illness. Wish other people did
Reply 31
Original post by Viva Emptiness
Unfortunately when I think of "mental illness" I think of silly teenagers self-diagnosing because they think it's cool/have been feeling sad about boys/hate their parents etc. I think a lot of people have this image when they hear it too, which makes them automatically switch off, ultimately to the detriment of real MH issues and causes.

This is certainly a problem, but i don't think it's as big as you maybe make out. It's fair enough to call yourself depressed without a diagnosis as depressed is just a feeling not a mental health condition. "Depression" is the condition itself and obviously should be diagnosed. I reckon lots of teenagers are too afraid to visit a doctor even if they do have a mental health condition but those are the ones who don't go around telling everyone out loud usually.
We've promoted this thread on the home page in one of the pods - we really hope everyone sees it too.

Oh, i mostly use the app so it might not show on there :frown: only found out about it through MHSS

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kiss

This thread has been created by a community member to start conversations about mental health, to raise awareness and stamp out stigma. Let's show some respect and do just that. If you want to talk to me or another member about the warning system, then let's catch up via the Community Feedback threads :smile:

Original post by james1211
This is certainly a problem, but i don't think it's as big as you maybe make out. It's fair enough to call yourself depressed without a diagnosis as depressed is just a feeling not a mental health condition. "Depression" is the condition itself and obviously should be diagnosed. I reckon lots of teenagers are too afraid to visit a doctor even if they do have a mental health condition but those are the ones who don't go around telling everyone out loud usually.

True. Also I was bullied relentlessly when people found out I had depression - not really "cool" :rolleyes: I really don't think it's a big ptoblem
Original post by PonchoKid
Oh, i mostly use the app so it might not show on there :frown: only found out about it through MHSS

Posted from TSR Mobile

That's a really good point - thanks for making us aware :smile:
Reply 36
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister
True. Also I was bullied relentlessly when people found out I had depression - not really "cool" :rolleyes: I really don't think it's a big ptoblem

I always wonder about this. Why do people get awkward if someone tells you they have a mental health condition? I reckon it's very misunderstood. People don't react in the same way when you tell them you have a physical condition.
Original post by Tyrion_Lannister

Tyrion, you know from conversations with people from here that that's what they think MH issues are :rolleyes: Of course, it's not ACTUALLY cool but there are a LOT of teens (especially the woe-is-me type) who like to shout a lot about this sort of thing in a manner which doesn't present it in a good light.

Maybe it's not as big a problem in the wider community as the areas I come from :dontknow: I certainly hope not.
Original post by james1211
I always wonder about this. Why do people get awkward if someone tells you they have a mental health condition? I reckon it's very misunderstood. People don't react in the same way when you tell them you have a physical condition.

Yeah I don't get that either. People tend to associate it with violence which is a massive myth. It shouln't be any different to saying I'm diabetic or something

Tyrion, you know from conversations with people from here that that's what they think MH issues are :rolleyes: Of course, it's not ACTUALLY cool but there are a LOT of teens (especially the woe-is-me type) who like to shout a lot about this sort of thing in a manner which doesn't present it in a good light.

Maybe it's not as big a problem in the wider community as the areas I come from :dontknow: I certainly hope not.

Yes I know it's a common misconception but I don't think it's a common problem. Yes some people are melodramatic, but I really don't think it's a very big group :dontknow:
That's a really good point - thanks for making us aware :smile:

Its ok, just think everyone should be able to see it, but dunno how you would work that out for the app :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest