The Student Room Group

Is this a potential way it get a job in the US?

Could I go university in England, get an LLB and a a good class degree. Then obtain a TC at a good law firm, one with offices in America, and apply for a secondment in America. Spend 6 months abroad and turn finish my TC. I presume after this in total I would have made around £65k as that is what most MC firms offer during TCs. The. Could I go to law school in America, get a JD, take the bar and then start job hunting?
Have J missed anything out that could contradict any of this? A visa is being dealt with separately.
Cheers
Reply 1
Just do an undergrad degree in England, take the LSAT and apply JD programs straight away. If you want to practice (US) law in the US there's no point to spend three years to qualify as a solicitor.

In the US you should pretty much to attend T14 law schools to get a firm to sponsor your visa and please also note that in the US the most crucial part is to secure a summer internship after your second year in law school. Those 2L internships are really tough to get but once you get in you pretty much very likely receive a full time offer unless you show up work drunk and beat up a partner or something.

Hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by Weidmann
Just do an undergrad degree in England, take the LSAT and apply JD programs straight away. If you want to practice (US) law in the US there's no point to spend three years to qualify as a solicitor.

In the US you should pretty much to attend T14 law schools to get a firm to sponsor your visa and please also note that in the US the most crucial part is to secure a summer internship after your second year in law school. Those 2L internships are really tough to get but once you get in you pretty much very likely receive a full time offer unless you show up work drunk and beat up a partner or something.

Hope this helps.

I wouldn't have the money to fund for law school int his instance, but thanks. :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by GlennWilly
I wouldn't have the money to fund for law school int his instance, but thanks. :smile:

TC is unfortunately quite bad way to make money, split that 65k for three years and deduct taxes as well as living costs in London you probably won't be able to save too much money.

On average only the tuition fees of 3 years at a top US law schools are around USD 150k.

Anyways best luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Weidmann
TC is unfortunately quite bad way to make money, split that 65k for three years and deduct taxes as well as living costs in London you probably won't be able to save too much money.

On average only the tuition fees of 3 years at a top US law schools are around USD 150k.

Anyways best luck!

Would I be able to take out some sort of loan and get a scholarship? I guess this would cover it and then I'd be able to pay them off with the money I earn?
And your suggestion was definitely a serious consideration, this would make me as employable as everyone else, right?
Reply 5
Original post by GlennWilly
Would I be able to take out some sort of loan and get a scholarship? I guess this would cover it and then I'd be able to pay them off with the money I earn?
And your suggestion was definitely a serious consideration, this would make me as employable as everyone else, right?

Hi there,

Most likely yes, provided that you go to one of the top law schools in the country and be top of your class. Foreigners face some extra visa hassle and getting into the "BigLaw" is quite competitive in general. There are scholarships and loans available and you can do some research on this topic online. Law School websites are quite good source of information for example.

Lawyers in the US (based on my subjective views) tend to be more obsessed with things like law school prestige and grades than their British peers. If you can work really hard and get good grades from a top law school your chances to find a job in the US are reasonably good. Its not unheard of that some US firms send freshly minted JDs directly to work in their London office.

Perhaps you could check out this article about recent troubles of Big US firms:

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/113941/big-law-firms-trouble-when-money-dries

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending