The Student Room Group

Stay at home for another gap year?

I have been to uni for one year- dropped out last summer. I have been prescribed some anti-depressants and seeking therapy. I don’t think I’m mentally well enough to start another course- my mental health issues mean I struggle to function normally at the moment- I get sad thinking I’m wasting time though.

I have applied to unis for a course I’m not sure about. I have one offer but I’m not interested tbh. The first time I went to uni I was genuinely excited and passionate about the course- but it turned out I didn’t like the course and decided to leave. So I won’t have enough funding for another course if i start the one I’m not sure of this September.

Do I wait until I’m mentally ready to go back?

I wouldn’t want to waste a year of funding again- that would be foolish but I also feel very behind. If I were to start uni again next September (2025) I would be 22. It feels like such a long time, I started my last course when I was 19 because I completed an art foundation for a year before uni.

Just so unsure about everything. I know I’m only 21 and have years to sort my career but I don’t want to rest on my laurels and everything/ opportunities to pass me by.

I used to be such a motivated and positive person before I became depressed- feels like I’ve wasted my potential.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I have been to uni for one year- dropped out last summer. I have been prescribed some anti-depressants and seeking therapy. I don’t think I’m mentally well enough to start another course- my mental health issues mean I struggle to function normally at the moment- I get sad thinking I’m wasting time though.

I have applied to unis for a course I’m not sure about. I have one offer but I’m not interested tbh. The first time I went to uni I was genuinely excited and passionate about the course- but it turned out I didn’t like the course and decided to leave. So I won’t have enough funding for another course if i start the one I’m not sure of this September.

I wouldn’t want to waste a year of funding again- that would be foolish but I also feel very behind. If I were to start uni again next September (2025) I would be 22. It feels like such a long time, I started my last course when I was 19 because I completed an art foundation for a year before uni.

Just so unsure about everything. I know I’m only 21 and have years to sort my career but I don’t want to rest on my laurels and everything/ opportunities to pass me by.

I used to be such a motivated and positive person before I became depressed- feels like I’ve wasted my potential.

why dont you try an apprenticeship then
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Have you thought about getting a job - any job? It will give you a sense of purpose and a reason to get up in the morning. Then you can start to figure out what your next move will be.

Good luck!
Hi, I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling this way.
Everyone takes life at their own pace, I'm sure if you ask family/friends they all will have had no idea what to do in their life and taken some journeys to get to where they are today. We always suffer more in our heads then we do in reality, so don't spend your time beating yourself up about potential and time!

Having a sense of purpose would be good- starting art again, getting a part time job, volunteering, or playing a team sport? Take it a little bit at a time, if you started art again for example, don't think about being picasso but could you draw something small today?

You will get back to yourself! Be patient and try new things to help get you out of it and see the light again!
Reply 4
Thanks for the finding purpose comments- I think that would definitely help. I do have a job, 30 hours a week which isn’t full time but it’s good to get some money.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending